Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Home computer won't connect to Runescape, laptop will.
PostPosted: May 3rd, 2016, 6:32 pm 
Iron Member

RS Name: axewielder22
RS Status: P2P
First off, I want to say that this problem isn't just with Runescape. However, I can connect to Youtube and Netflix, along with a few (read:2) websites. All other websites, including this one, are timed out. Here's where it gets interesting though: When I run the ping or tracert commands and use the Runescape IP address, it responds that it was successful.

As stated in the title, my laptop (which is running Windows 7), is connected to the same network and can visit all websites with no problem.

The computer that this is happening on is running Windows 10, has 8 GB of RAM in it, and has an Intel Pentium E6600 CPU running at 1600 MHz.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: May 3rd, 2016, 6:32 pm 
Iron Member

Post subject: Re: Home computer won't connect to Runescape, laptop will.
PostPosted: May 3rd, 2016, 8:51 pm 
Site Owner

RS Name: shane12088
Have you tried different browsers?

Also I assume the system is malware free? It's possible there might be something messing with your DNS settings.

Let's see if others have any ideas.

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2016, 9:12 pm 
Iron Member

I have tried using Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and I have also tried using Microsoft Edge and they all give the same error message. I have run Malwarebytes Anti-malware on the system, but in the off chance there is malware that changed my DNS settings, what would I have to do in order to fix it?

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2016, 9:19 pm 

RS Name: Silverwiz9
Clan Name: RsbandbStaff
Quote:
it responds that it was successful.

Can you post an example of what you mean by this? Try pinging 8.8.8.8 (one of Google's DNS servers) and paste what it shows.

Ideally it will look something like:

What happens when you try to ping Google.com / Runescape.com? Does it return a valid IP?

It should show something like this (but the IPs may differ from what is shown here)

Also, are you able to check your hosts file? You'll need to copy it to your desktop then open it with Notepad or a similar text editor. It can be found at c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\ . Does it show anything except:

To view your DNS server settings, run ipconfig /all and it should be listed under your WiFi or Ethernet adapter settings as "DNS Servers".

PostPosted: May 4th, 2016, 11:54 am 
Iron Member

Pfkninenines wrote:
Quote:
it responds that it was successful.

Can you post an example of what you mean by this? Try pinging 8.8.8.8 (one of Google's DNS servers) and paste what it shows.

This is what most websites show. A select few time out when pinging, but I chalk that up to the server ignoring the requests.

Pfkninenines wrote:
What happens when you try to ping Google.com / Runescape.com? Does it return a valid IP?

I'm able to run nslookup on the URL and get the IP address, plus I can tracert the IP and it will show a successful trip.

As far as the hosts file, it looks exactly like this one. Nothing else was written on it.

I also posted this on a tech help forum, and they helped me to find out that it's because the computer in question will not receive IPv4 traffic, therefore showing that the connection timed out. As far as I know, it can still send IPv4 traffic, but it just can't receive it. Anyone know how this can be fixed?

PostPosted: May 5th, 2016, 2:02 pm 
Iron Member

I finally got the internet to work. All I did was unplug the router and plug it back in. Not sure if it's permanently fixed or not, but it works now!

EDIT: Turned out to be a temporary fix, after a few hours it went back to the same shenanigans.

One thing that I think should be mentioned is that the router has parental controls on, which blocks all internet access for a set time. If it's causing this, directly or otherwise, is there a possibility that it can be fixed while having the parental controls on? If so, how?

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: May 5th, 2016, 2:02 pm 
Iron Member