Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Why DarkScape Will Ultimately Fail
PostPosted: September 17th, 2015, 1:18 am 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Pyrnassius
RS Status: P2P
It was with trepidation that I read about the new "Darkscape" release, however, upon looking into it, I thought it would be an interesting concept. Jagex seemed to put a lot of thought into it and on paper, the concept looked great. However, they forgot about one component... the player-base. Unfortunately, the game is full of basement dwellers, who think it is really heroic of themselves to go out and kill unarmed players who are just trying to train some agility, or do a bit of fishing to enjoy the new content themselves. They get nothing from it, no coins, no weapons, even the fish that the unarmed player drops is left on the ground. Where is the thrill in this? Do people really think enjoying a game can only be had by making everyone else miserable? These are the type of people who sit in the back of the classroom and find it fun to pull the wings off flies, or who walk through the junior school and beat up the kids half their size. This version of the game promotes the bully behaviour and rewards those participating in it.
This update had great potential, however the toxic community of a large group of players has ultimately signed the death warrant for this update. It will probably have a hardcore group of 300-400 players, but essentially, it will be dead content sooner rather than later. Jagex has spent valuable time and resources on this without looking into the community as a whole. It will once again splinter the playing group and fill the general player, who comes on to just have fun and enjoy some time online, with bitterness against the company once again.
It is almost impossible to even log in without being attacked before your screen has even loaded. We have seen the return of the dreaded "Loading 50%" again. Maybe it is because there are 600-1000 players on the world that is causing this lag, but it leaves a bad taste in one's mouth when they are killed before the screen has even finished loading.
Again, a great concept that has been released full of flaws; however, this time I do not think the blame lies with Jagex, but instead lies squarely upon the shoulders of a group of players who will destroy the game and then cry unfair when no one plays it. Maybe it is just me and I do not understand the thrill of killing someone in a game who offers no resistance and has no chance whatsoever of being able to defend themselves, but, after 4 hours on the Darkscape worlds, I will be unlikely to ever EVER return to it.
R.I.P.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: September 17th, 2015, 1:18 am 
Chat Moderator

Post subject: Re: Why DarkScape Will Ultimately Fail
PostPosted: September 19th, 2015, 2:15 pm 

RS Name: j1j2j3
those who want to kill each other can do just that. you get onto the server, you know the risk. If anything, i think that non-combat ability should be given 1.5 normal rs if they had to be trained outside of a major city. that or, have a teletabs ready at all times.

PostPosted: September 19th, 2015, 6:02 pm 
Site Owner

RS Name: shane12088
Pyrnassius wrote:
Maybe it is just me and I do not understand the thrill of killing someone in a game who offers no resistance and has no chance whatsoever of being able to defend themselves, but, after 4 hours on the Darkscape worlds, I will be unlikely to ever EVER return to it.

Not just you. While engaging in pvp on Star Trek Online as I frequently did I made it a point that the easy targets wouldn't be targeted for the fun of it. You kill someone who is easy once, fine, but kill the more experienced people twice instead. In many ways it's like sport hunting, it's about the hunt itself and not just the reward. More people need to see that.

I hope DarkScape ultimately succeeds. If it succeeds we could possibly see some of the ideas back ported into RS3. After all, wasn't Ironman mode first on Old School? I haven't tried the game mode yet but there are some interesting opportunities aside from pvp. We'll have to see if people kill for sport or if they just kill and poach.

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2015, 5:05 am 
Adamantite Member

RS Name: Touchpad Pro
Clan Name: Tmoa
The pkers who enjoy darkscape now are the ones who don't have the skill to fight the real guys in normal RuneScape. So they go on darkscape, find a skilling spot and kill everyone they can and think they're great PVP'ers for killing people with no gear.

PostPosted: September 24th, 2015, 1:48 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Jade Gizmo
Clan Name: Pawscape
I have no interests in even trying it.
I just want Runescape.
No Darkscape, No Ironman, no, Deadman?

Stop with these modes...

Next "enhancement" will be called Birdy.
People can make a new account on the bird mode and be able to freely fly everywhere.

But as far as Darkscape, you know what you are logging into.
Getting killed trying to do a simple quest or skilling is the whole point.

PostPosted: October 4th, 2015, 4:05 am 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Pyrnassius
So, if any of you heard me on the podcast, you will know what this post is about. I am retracting my previous statement about DarkScape failing. With the fixes Jagex are continually implementing, this game does have some viability. I encourage everyone to ignore my rant and give it a go. Now that things have settled down a bit, it really is quite fun. So, as I humbly apologize for the negativity, I will wish you all the best in whichever version of the game you like to play :)

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: October 4th, 2015, 4:05 am 
Chat Moderator