Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: [Informer Article] Top 5 Myths about Old School
PostPosted: March 12th, 2013, 3:12 pm 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Firemana
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: Problem Solvers
Well, Old School Runescape. There are a ton of things I could write about relating to that but right now I think this fits well.

There are many things circulating the Runescape Community about Old School Runescape and Evolution of Combat Runescape. Some of these are true, some are not(I'm talking about both sides here). This article is not to bash either side, as both are good games(some of you may be surprised I just said that).

Myth 5: Old School is Bot Infested

Probably one of the most feared things for any game like Runescape is bots and gold farmers. We all know how they can ruin economies and the game atmosphere.

I'm going to be frank, Old School Runescape does have bots. I've seen some. This is unavoidable. The thing is, I don't think Old School will become infested with them like Current Runescape is. This is because of a few reasons:
1) The people who play Old School prefer to earn their skills. They are much less likely to use bots.
2) Bots cannot affect the economy anywhere near as easily in Old School because there is no Grand Exchange. A person must still coordinate the sales of any items.
3) Jagex's Anti-Bot technology will be added. This has been confirmed. If this technology is as effective as they tout it in Current Runescape, it will be equally or more effective in Old School.
4) There are more good places to train in Old School, meaning bots will be in more varied places. The reason I say there are more good places to train, even though there are more places in Current Runescape, is because in Current Runescape most people train in a select few areas. Whereas in Old School people train in different places because levels are harder to get.

Undoubtedly more bots will eventually come to Old School, but I bet you there will be comparatively less than in Current Runescape.

Myth 4: Old School will Slow and Delay Main Game Updates

While yes, the initial release of the Old School servers did delay World Wakes, it is unlikely that future Old School updates will. Why?
1) Old School servers have a dedicated team for maintenance and updates. This team will be able to handle most Old School updates.
2) Any updates requiring extra resources will either have more staff hired, will just take longer for the team to develop, or will be planned for times where they can afford to temporarily move some people from the main game(Note: Because this will be planned it will not delay the release of updates).

Also, one thing I would like to note regarding the delay; Jagex saw the number of new subscriptions because of the poll and estimated that releasing it before the close of the poll would increase their revenue at least for a month. Why is this? Because even getting 10,000 more subscribers is worth more money than pleasing the current million. Jagex has proven time and again that they would rather get new subscribers than try to maintain their current ones.

Remember, Jagex is in control and ultimately if they think it is in their best interest to delay something for any reason, they will. Whether any of us like it or not.

Myth 3: Old School has Split the Community

Well first off I'd like you to tell me what community you're referring to.
The Runescape one?
You mean the one that will bite each other's heads off because this weapon does more damage than that one and you stole my spawn?
Yea, that one.

Runescape's community has been splintered for years due to a plethora of things, namely a lame self-entitled generation of babies.

It's not possible for Old School to split the community anymore than it already was. If anything it will unite them. People who don't like the way Current Runescape is heading will likely play Old School and those who prefer Current Runescape will stay there. Is this split? Perhaps to some degree. But you can't split what was already splintered.
The reason it was split beforehand is because there were multiple types of gamers playing one type of game. Everyone wanted something different than the next guy. With the option of Old School or Current Runescape players can now choose which one fits their play style. You now have two sub-communities inside the Runescape Community. Instead of one giant group of people constantly fighting about this update or that thing, you have two groups which can more easily agree and talk peacefully about things pertaining to them.

I suppose you COULD say that the community is now split. But I would still argue that Old School did not split it because it was not unified to begin with.

Myth 2: Old School Servers are very Laggy and extremely Slow

This one couldn't be further from the truth.
Truth is, the Old School Servers have never crashed on me yet and have had about 99% up time since launch.
Old School Runescape also takes only 1/3rd of the resources of the Main Game.
When playing in comparably crowded areas of each game, Old School runs about 75% smoother than Current Runescape. This is due to the higher graphics in Current Runescape requiring more RAM and Processor power than in Old School.
Old School Runescape can rune smoothly on a much slower internet connection. I was downloading a game, streaming music, surfing the web, and playing Old School perfectly. I have fibre but the internet around my town is known for being slow.

Myth 1: People only play Old School for the Nostalgia

This is hands down the most widely stated (and also most inaccurate) statement regarding Old School.
Let's be honest, nostalgia is all well and nice but it doesn't pay the bills, nor satisfy gamers. After you've made a few levels and walked passed Draynor a few times your nostalgia starts to go away. Those playing purely for nostalgia quit after the first week. Those who genuinely enjoy Old School are still playing.
Most of the people I've spoken to in Old School have not even mentioned nostalgia, they say they just like the game.

---

Think some of these Myths may be true? Comment and we'll discuss.

This was originally posted as an Informer Runescape article.

88th Dragon Member : Informer Writer : Content Crew : Chat Moderator ::
"If it ain't broke, dun fix it."

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: March 12th, 2013, 3:12 pm 
Chat Moderator

Post subject: Re: [Informer Article] Top 5 Myths about Old School
PostPosted: March 12th, 2013, 5:21 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Killjoy4eva
RS Status: Old School (2007)
*CLAPS* Brilliant article. While the only thing I think could be debated is number 3, I completely agree with you.

PostPosted: March 13th, 2013, 2:34 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Duke Juker
Clan Name: Clan Quest
Like Killjoy, I also agree with what you've said with exception to #3 and maybe #1.

With #1, I feel Old School really is for nostalgia more than anything. Maybe not the only reason people play as you say, but by far the most prevalent and common reason. Even if people don't say it's for nostalgia reasons outright, it's in the back of their minds that they prefer the older game to the newer game. Nostalgia at it's heart is enjoying something older than what is current which OS clearly is. Nostalgia and simply enjoying the older version go hand in hand as I don't think you would play OS if you didn't like the nostalgia aspect and vice versa you wouldn't enjoy the nostalgia if the game wasn't enjoyable and worth playing. Those are the one week people. But the people who continue to play OS are all nostalgic for certain. I agree all of them probably don't just play it because it's nostalgic, but because it's nostalgic AND they enjoy it.

As to #3 which is the most discussable...
It's only natural that there are a myriad of views expressed by the RS community, some views being more decisive than others. OS is simply a reaction/recognition of this divisiveness and an attempt to ameliorate it. Yes, in a perfect world, the game would be tailored to each individual gamer. But this is not a perfect world and thus it is unreasonable. What Jagex can do and has done with RS is try and accommodate the most majorly voiced demands, ie bringing back RS from 2007. Obviously, Jagex wouldn't scrap the current game and reset everyone back, esp. since many people continue to play the current version and don't have problems with it. Nor should Jagex ignore when a good portion of the community want a return to 2007 RS. Jagex has kept RS Classic even after the current game came out. Providing 2007 servers is only consistent with what Jagex did with Classic. Of course, 2007 is much closer to the current version than Classic ever will be so it's not a great comparison. But back to the community question.

As I've said, I don't think OS is divisive or causing divisiveness, but rather serving to satisfy those divided. As you said, Jason, the community has been dividing for a long time already. This was nothing new. What OS should do is calm those who are unsatisfied and, if anything, bring peace back to the RS community.

On a side note, I wouldn't say RS gamers are "...namely a lame self-entitled generation of babies. " Immature? Sure. Selfish? Yes. Self-entitled? Maybe a bit too far. Ya, maybe sometimes the community shows that kind of self-entitlement, and to some degree it is warranted. If you pay for a game, you should have a voice to some degree and be able to tell the game maker how you feel and what you would like to see. I'm not saying that the game maker necessarily listens or should listen and incorporate what you want. The point is, yes, anyone who pays for something expects things to be a certain way. Some might call that self-entitlement. I understand where it comes from. But I wouldn't go so far as to say the whole group is that. Some may be self-entitled more than the rest of the community, but I think a majority of the community isn't.

That all said, it was a good article. If anything, people should just stop being all uppity about it and accept that RSOS is here to stay. Deal with it.

82nd Dragon Member since 05/12/2010
RSBandB Member #517
Current Activities: Ports, Dailies/Monthlies, DXP
Skill Masteries: Firemaking, Cooking, Woodcutting, Fletching, Mining, Agility, Prayer, Smithing, Fishing, Summoning, Construction, Herblore, Hunter, Thieving, Crafting, Divination, Dungeoneering, Farming, Runecrafting, Slayer, Magic, Ranged, Defence, Constitution, Attack, Strength, Invention & 1st Max (3/9/19), Archaeology & 2nd Max (4/16/21), 200m Firemaking, Necromancy

PostPosted: May 6th, 2013, 7:47 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Aarony

I disagree.

Before 07 came out, on Sundays (Max peak day), you would see well around 60K eoc players at the lowpoint and over 100K eoc players at the highpoint. After 07 the new lowpoint is 38K and the new highpoint is 64K. It is definitely split.

PostPosted: May 6th, 2013, 8:08 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Killjoy4eva
RS Status: Old School (2007)
Tal Ormanda wrote:

I disagree.

Before 07 came out, on Sundays (Max peak day), you would see well around 60K eoc players at the lowpoint and over 100K eoc players at the highpoint. After 07 the new lowpoint is 38K and the new highpoint is 64K. It is definitely split.

I completely agree with this.

PostPosted: May 8th, 2013, 8:31 am 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Pyrnassius
To be blunt, does anyone really care anymore? It has happened. Both games are there to serve the purpose of making revenue for the investors of Jagex and people will play the version they like. Myself, I love the current version and the bots, while still there, have decreased in a lot of areas. I joined the game in 2011, so never really saw much of the total community everyone keeps talking about, but let's be honest; when the announcement was first made, it did split the players. I don't know how many times I got abused on different forums and such because I voiced the opinion that i enjoyed the current game. And it went both ways. There was plenty of pointless fighting from both sides, often degenerating into name calling. To say it didn't divide the community? I think that's a pretty bold statement. However, both games have their members and are doing fine, and hopefully Jagex will continue to market Runescape to bring in more players. I do believe the introduction of these new skills will bring back many of the players who have migrated over to OS, but we will wait and see. In the meantime, let us just enjoy the game version we like and respect the decision of others to play the other version if that's what they prefer. All the fighting and name-calling hurt the game immensely and pretty much destroyed any chance of bringing back any sort of community harmony. My kids joined not long before OS was released, and then quit because of the abuse and such they were subject to. It is just not necessary from either side to continue any debate on the matter. Ultimately, it is a game for personal enjoyment. Let me kick back, relax and enjoy it.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: May 8th, 2013, 8:31 am 
Chat Moderator

PostPosted: May 8th, 2013, 11:13 am 
Runite Member

RS Name: Addiv
The only reason I go back to 07 is nostalgia. It's a change of pace and a chance to take a break from my EOC goals. Like you predicted, I don't go back often but I can see myself going back regularly much like I have in RS Classic. I think there's a substantial group of players that will find it interesting to go back occasionally but don't have any real plans to start over again. Very good article.