Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: RSBANDBUpdate! 376 - The Tall People
PostPosted: September 1st, 2012, 2:36 pm 
Site Owner

RS Name: shane12088
RS Status: P2P
The BIG Chinchompa, buyable bank space, and Mark Gerhard speaks.
Download Now
Direct Download - 64 Kbit MP3 (Full Show Notes)

Hosts: Shane, Trekkie, and Alex 43
Duration: 1:45:06

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: September 1st, 2012, 2:36 pm 
Site Owner

Post subject: Re: RSBANDBUpdate! 376 - The Tall People
PostPosted: September 1st, 2012, 5:01 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Duke Juker
Clan Name: Clan Quest
You can't compare money spent on xBox live and RS stores is the same thing. With Live, you are paying for access, not items or crap in game. You are paying for access to multiplayer. xBox Live is equivalent to buying membership in Runescape.

I don't think you can say either that you should be able to spend money ON EVERY GAME IN EXISTENCE. Just because a lot of games have players spend money for content or advantages doesn't mean that works for every game or game type.

82nd Dragon Member since 05/12/2010
RSBandB Member #517
Current Activities: Ports, Dailies/Monthlies, DXP
Skill Masteries: Firemaking, Cooking, Woodcutting, Fletching, Mining, Agility, Prayer, Smithing, Fishing, Summoning, Construction, Herblore, Hunter, Thieving, Crafting, Divination, Dungeoneering, Farming, Runecrafting, Slayer, Magic, Ranged, Defence, Constitution, Attack, Strength, Invention & 1st Max (3/9/19), Archaeology & 2nd Max (4/16/21), 200m Firemaking, Necromancy

PostPosted: September 4th, 2012, 6:15 am 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Uncle Dano
Clan Name: Knights of Honour
As I've said previously, I totally realize that because I do have a real life which is quite busy, I know full well that I cannot spend as much time playing the game as other players. That is completely o.k. with me. I do not however see buying spins to gain xp as a way to "compensate". I do not need to compensate. I do not need shortcuts or an easy way out. When I get my skill cape I will be very proud in knowing that it was earned, and not bought. That to me is very important as my cape will truly represent the ultimate achievement of skill mastery based on honest, hard work and not simply represent an additional purchase. This is strictly a personal thing with me, especially since I can't no-life this game. It is extremely important to me to ensure my capes retain their purity and their maximum intrinsic, non-monetary value reflecting just my performance in the game. This will demonstrate to me that even though I can't no-life, I can still earn a skill cape. It will take me a lot longer but I can and will get the cape, on my terms. If I just dump extra money into the game to "compensate" then I've defeated the purpose of demonstrating to myself that I can achieve a very difficult thing: getting a skill cape while having a life. I'm just pointing this out as this is a very important ethical consideration for me, as well as others. This is not a trivial matter. That is why it keeps coming up week after week as a topic of discussion.

All I have to say is that when you finally see me donning my cape do not assume that any part of it was bought with spins. You would be insulting me and devaluing over 6 years of dedication, hard work, and honest gameplay. Will you think of that when you see a skill cape anymore, now that you can buy your xp? What is the value that you do place on a skill cape, and what does it represent to you? Is the value higher or lower than it was before you could buy spins? Something to think about. I know what it will represent to me. And, to me that is all that matters.

Web: Uncle Dano's RS Wiki | RS Hiscores: Uncle Dano

PostPosted: September 4th, 2012, 9:13 pm 
Community Ambassador

RS Name: Lord Rickles
You make a great point, Uncle Dano. On one hand, I can understand how people are getting tired of the discussion, but it is still very much an important, almost philosophical, discussion of game ethics. I am not a Squeal basher by any means, but I too am very leery of where that line where the game will lose it's integrity. I don't think we are there, but when someone can justify that buying experience because earning that money is faster than earning the experience by skilling makes me very uneasy. And don't get me wrong, I've bought spins and have gained a lot of experience through Squeal, but that's not why I buy the spins; nor do I rationalize buying spins because having surplus income allows me to gain the experience (if not more) than I would have had I been playing rather than working. That being said, I don't feel bad about it, but Uncle Dano is a fair deal more ethical character than many of us. :P

But it still is an issue, and will remain an issue, because it is a fundamental argument of investing time verses investing money...and money shouldn't beat out time.

I like Squeal, I really do, but it's not perfect. What I'd like to see is the pendants stay and swap spaces with all the lamps and have lamps be as rare as pendants are currently. The pendants are a much more honest way of gaining experience by boosting or rewarding you for actually working the skill, rather than just a free handout of experience. I think most of us would be OK and would be far better at ease if they were to do this.

On another topic, on the first day of the Big Chin update, there were incidents where I shared a private hunting world with someone else who I neither invited or was a friend. However, this was never a bad thing. The creatures spawn based on you being in that area - like 5 or 6 spawn close to you. If someone else came into the world, they too had 5 or 6 creatures spawn, meaning double the amount of creatures! As to whether this was a glitch or just because so many people were trying it out that this happened, I'm not sure, but it definitely did happen and on more than one occasion with me.