Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: RSBANDBUpdate! 322 - The Moralizer
PostPosted: August 20th, 2011, 3:15 pm 
Site Owner

RS Name: shane12088
RS Status: P2P
Temple Trekking has been reworked, Jagex unveils their refer a friend program, and Brad shares his thoughts on the return of wilderness and free trade. As always, we have the usual listener questions as well.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: August 20th, 2011, 3:15 pm 
Site Owner

Post subject: Re: RSBANDBUpdate! 322 - The Moralizer
PostPosted: August 20th, 2011, 3:42 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Nightgunner5
Clan Name: Bits and Bytes
It doesn't choose random adventurers per player, it has 6 developed characters instead of 12 undeveloped ones.

Shane wrote:
Just be sure to let me know if they're male or female, sometimes it can be hard to tell :P

PostPosted: August 20th, 2011, 8:44 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: AlitzeR
Clan Name: Catherby 9
I heard the "I wish there was a little Shane in everyone." line and I just busted out laughing. Great show though. :D

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2011, 5:33 am 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Uncle Dano
Clan Name: Knights of Honour
No need to point out that I am with Shane. That should be obvious to everyone who knows me. Don't think that it is a bad thing when positive attitudes promoting goodness, kindness, respect, politeness, generosity and general decent behaviour towards each other, rubs off on other people. That's just called a positive influence, not a moralizer. It's not about judging others, but it is about recognizing and expressing a lack of acceptance of negative behaviours; a discernment between good and bad, right and wrong. Discernment is not judgement. *hops off his soapbox* Keep on being yourself, Shane. You are a hero and an excellent role model in my eyes. Much respect to you, sir.

Web: Uncle Dano's RS Wiki | RS Hiscores: Uncle Dano

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2011, 10:39 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Brad7443
No there is a big difference you are missing and you are misinterpreting Shane's position.

Shane is not simply for people being good and nice to each other, any sane human being is for that. It shouldn't be something to be lauded or a basis for sycophancy. The point is Shane believes that others should do as he does, as in believe that morality is absolute and not relative. That is the main point. Sure we can all agree that murder is bad, stealing is bad, violence is bad and that kindness, philanthropy and helping other people is good. That is not the difference here; it is not that black and white, the difference is believing, at a much more micro level, that the way you go about your daily business is superior to others, that small choices you make, and the key is in the word there 'choices', are superior to the choices other people make. It's not about being good or being moral, or believing in being 'nice', it is about believing the way you do things is right and anybody who disagrees with you is wrong and, to a degree, inferior.

This is hardly the place for a philopshical debate however, if you wish to put forward your point more succinctly, feel free to message me. Otherwise we shall simply have to agree to disagree.

Co-host of RSBANDB!Update: 2006-2010
Biggest thorn in Shane's side: 2005-2010

Don't despair because it's over. Smile because it happened.

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2011, 7:09 am 
Bronze Member

RS Name: gardengal4
Brad was wrong (as he often is). It wasn't Michele Bachmann who walked of on the rude Piers Morgan it was Christine O'Donnell. Brad probably can't distinguish one strong smart conservative woman from another, but I can.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: August 23rd, 2011, 7:09 am 
Bronze Member

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2011, 9:57 am 
Rsbandb Donor

I apologise. My mistake. I don't know the Republican lot that well, especially the Tea partiers.

Calling Bachmann and O'Donnell 'smart' is stretching it a little though. You want a strong, smart conservative woman? Look no further than Margaret Thatcher.

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2011, 3:49 pm 
Site Owner

Brad wrote:
You want a strong, smart conservative woman? Look no further than Margaret Thatcher.

Woo! Go Thatcher. Tea party is nothing more than a bunch of anti-establishment types. There's a limit as to what can actually be done. The only way the Republicans (tea party members included) will be able to take victory in 2012 is if they have a strong candidate that can appeal to everyone. Maybe take on a tea partier as a running mate but the tea party is still too niche to have a presidential candidate.

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2011, 8:08 pm 

RS Name: King Kulla
RS Status: F2P
Shane wrote:
Brad wrote:
You want a strong, smart conservative woman? Look no further than Margaret Thatcher.

Woo! Go Thatcher. Tea party is nothing more than a bunch of anti-establishment types. There's a limit as to what can actually be done. The only way the Republicans (tea party members included) will be able to take victory in 2012 is if they have a strong candidate that can appeal to everyone. Maybe take on a tea partier as a running mate but the tea party is still too niche to have a presidential candidate.

I have a feeeling that the Tea Party wing is scaring most moderates away from the Republicans. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see another Democrat victory, but then again American politics never fails to do the opposite of what I think it'll do!

PostPosted: August 24th, 2011, 12:43 am 
Bronze Member

RS Name: gardengal4
I'm afraid Margaret Thatcher couldn't be our President but I wish she could. The Tea Party isn't what the media portrays them as. They are just average citizens that think the government spending is out of control from both sides. I would be very surprised to see another Democrat victory, in fact I would be devastated. Most of our media is totally controlled by liberals and the slant they put on the news and about the tea party is outrageous. I hope your wrong about the tea party's chances. I am sick and tired of these namby pamby Republicans that have no backbones, cave to the democrats and make all those back door deals just like the Democrats do. I am hopeful for the first time in a long time. Im gonna go throw some more tea in the bay ;)

PostPosted: August 24th, 2011, 8:41 am 
Rsbandb Donor

King Kulla wrote:
Shane wrote:
Brad wrote:

I have a feeeling that the Tea Party wing is scaring most moderates away from the Republicans. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see another Democrat victory, but then again American politics never fails to do the opposite of what I think it'll do!

Yes, that's the way I see it. Obama is still hanging a left of centre stance on a lot of things, the Republicans are being dragged in the opposite direction by the Tea partiers. Which is an oft repeated pattern in politics - when one party is in power their main opposition seems to naturally swing towards the extremer wing of their ideology, it happened here to the Labour party when Thatcher got in and cost them 18 years out of power. But back to the 2012 election: whoever grasps the centre ground first will most likely win. You cannot make the electorate buy your message, to a degree you tailor your message to the electorate, because once you're in it's not like you have to govern by constant plebiscite is it? You use your judgement to win votes, it's a little machiavellian but it is the way politics works, you don't need them to agree with you; you just need them to give you their votes. And the majority of the votes lie in the centre ground. Not on the left or right wing.

But the Republicans have to be careful to not be seduced by a candidate who goes out of their way to appeal to their party base, as ending up with a candidate who scores high with registered republicans, but is a turn off for the independents is a sure fire way to throw the election before you've started. I think it'll be fairly easy to size up the election based on who the Republicans choice of a candidate. If they get it right Obama is in for a very hard campaign.

PostPosted: August 27th, 2011, 9:10 pm 
Bronze Member

RS Name: iSpankUrBank
Clan Name: Warrior Nation
All this pro-republican talk is making me cringe. Good thing now that I'm 18 I can vote in the next election and cancel one of you guys out.

PostPosted: August 28th, 2011, 9:43 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Bonsai99
RS Status: Retired
Brad, when do you think you will be on the show again?

PostPosted: August 29th, 2011, 2:16 pm 
Site Owner

bonsai99 wrote:
Brad, when do you think you will be on the show again?

Probably not for a long time. Next year-ish, just like this last stint.

PostPosted: August 31st, 2011, 1:00 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

A few years.. If Shane is lucky.

Don't really have time in my regular schedule and not going to use annual leave simply to guest on RSBANDB!Update. So it'll be the next time there is a perfect storm of me being off and available and Shane needing a guest.