Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Think Jagex isn't working hard enough on the bot problem?
PostPosted: August 12th, 2011, 2:02 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Nightgunner5
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: Bits and Bytes
I did the math:

27 RuneScape graphics team members (Source: http://www.runescape.com/kbase/guid/jagex)
45 RuneScape cities (Source: http://www.runescape.com/kbase/guid/cities_and_towns)
Approximately 2 cities per graphics team member

27 RuneScape content team members (Source: http://www.runescape.com/kbase/guid/jagex)
33 major updates so far in 2011 (Source: http://services.runescape.com/m=news/list.ws?cat=1&page=1)
Approximately 1 major update per content team member

65 player support core team members (Source: http://www.runescape.com/kbase/guid/jagex)
Over 200,000 players currently online (Source: http://www.runescape.com/title.ws)
Over 154,000,000 players registered as of 2009 (Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runescape#cite_note-TechRadar-2)
Over 3,076 online players per support team member
Over 2,369,230 registered players per support team member

Next time someone says Jagex isn't handling the bot problem, tell them to check the numbers. Unless Jagex magically gets the money and space to hire hundreds of thousands of extra team members, reports aren't going to be reviewed instantaneously, and bots won't all disappear overnight. There are more than twice as many people working on the player support team than any other team at Jagex, so supporting the players is definitely one of Jagex's top priorities.

Shane wrote:
Just be sure to let me know if they're male or female, sometimes it can be hard to tell :P

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: August 12th, 2011, 2:02 pm 
Runite Member

Post subject: Re: Think Jagex isn't working hard enough on the bot problem
PostPosted: August 12th, 2011, 8:09 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Skype Jay
RS Status: F2P
All I am going to say to this is that, in my opinion, bot reports are absolutely useless to Jagex. If I were Jagex, I wouldn't even have macro reports read since banning bots by reports is not a way to use your resources. Since reporting a person for macroing is more like "I think this person may be using a bot". You don't report people who you think might be using offensive language (like in a different chat that you can't see or something), or you think might be account sharing. For most offences, unless they outright say where you can see it, you don't report them. For botting you can only have suspicions, and yes, some are very obvious to you and you may only report the obvious ones, but everyone else is reporting everyone who won't answer you saying, "hey? lvl? botter? reported" or on even less of a suspicion.

PostPosted: August 12th, 2011, 8:48 pm 
Site Owner

RS Name: mike12088
Clan Name: Bits and Bytes
I doubt they really look at individual reports for bots right now, they probably keep a count of how many times someone has been reported for botting and then manually investigate the people with the top counts. This person has 100 macroing reports against them, lets see if their actions look very automated and why our detection methods would not be detecting them.

But then there is the "Bot Busts", which make no sense to me. They seem to be more for show so people think they are doing something, but they seem completely unnecessary and backwards from what they should be doing.

While it seems they are doing well with the staff they have, your argument does not work, Ben. Jagex is a very profitable business and they could easily afford to hire more people to manage the players.

But for the botting problem, I do not think more staff is what they need. It is easy to just watch someone and make wrongful judgments on whether you think they are a bot or not. What they need is some better methods for detecting bots. Jagex already seems to receive all your mouse movement over the window of the game — you can see this when you have the fps display up and you move your mouse around really fast, your bandwidth out goes up. Why is it not easier to detect when someone is botting? I have no idea how the botting programs work, but even if they threw a little randomness into the mouse movement, it should be easy for jagex to tell it is automated after observing it for a while? Mouse movements would be a ton of information to store for every online player so they wouldn't be able to store it long, they would have to rely more on real time detection. Maybe jagex does all this already, I don't know. I'm just speculating, but it seems they could still be doing more.

PostPosted: August 12th, 2011, 9:19 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: StarMilgauss
Jagex, seems to be doing absolutely nothing and if they are new bots are created fast enough to replace them. Personally I would work for jagex for free to eliminate every obvious bot in the game.

PostPosted: August 12th, 2011, 11:04 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Duke Juker
Clan Name: Clan Quest
Jbobman7 wrote:
Jagex, seems to be doing absolutely nothing and if they are new bots are created fast enough to replace them. Personally I would work for jagex for free to eliminate every obvious bot in the game.

That might take a while. In fact, it would probably be a full time job. xD

Maybe we just need more player mods. Or "Bot" Mods who just spend time finding bots to ban. Idk. I don't think there is any easy way to deal with bots. Maybe you could require every account to have an e-mail. That might work? Just brainstorming. But, yes, I do agree Jagex has not done much to solve the bot problem as of yet.

82nd Dragon Member since 05/12/2010
RSBandB Member #517
Current Activities: Ports, Dailies/Monthlies, DXP
Skill Masteries: Firemaking, Cooking, Woodcutting, Fletching, Mining, Agility, Prayer, Smithing, Fishing, Summoning, Construction, Herblore, Hunter, Thieving, Crafting, Divination, Dungeoneering, Farming, Runecrafting, Slayer, Magic, Ranged, Defence, Constitution, Attack, Strength, Invention & 1st Max (3/9/19), Archaeology & 2nd Max (4/16/21), 200m Firemaking, Necromancy

PostPosted: August 13th, 2011, 9:30 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Comp Sci
Clan Name: W48 Stalkers
I've heard and seen a lot of people saying "Oh Jagex makes a ton of monies from bots", so I'd just like to share this.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: August 13th, 2011, 9:30 am 
Rsbandb Donor

PostPosted: August 14th, 2011, 10:29 am 
Mithril Member

RS Name: Two101
Another important statistic would be the number of appeals, reports or other customer service requests they recieve per day. I remember when most of my abuse reports recieved a response from Jagex. These days, I sometimes feel like I may as well be throwing them down a well.

PostPosted: August 16th, 2011, 6:37 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Kangas Khan
Clan Name: MaSoRs
I hardly think Jagex would consume themselves in banning a hundred or so bots a day because they'd make new accounts faster than they could ban them. Maybe Jagex has a few tricks up their sleeves and they're simply not allowed to publicise it because it may result in those who make the bots being able to bypass the security measures before they're actually implemented. It really wouldn't make any sense at all to post on the official forums or even the front page what they're doing/are planning to do/what systems they're developing to combat the bots, would it? Instead they're more likely to do it in secret and implement the system without anyone realising and then BAM. Bots start disappearing.

PostPosted: August 16th, 2011, 10:31 am 
Cleverly Disguised Spammer

RS Name: Piratesock
Clan Name: The Mushroom Pirate Federation
Everytime i find myself tempted to play RS i look up the username hotlips4ev3r. Realize Jagex continue to be a bunch of useless whatevers and go play another game. Someone with a 2.3k+ total shouldn't be allowed to bot and certainly shouldn't continue to get away with it.

They already took out any sense of accomplishment in this game by making **** easier now it's to the point where they just allow people to cheat freely.

To be honest for months now I've considered starting a fresh account and botting on it. Not because I'm a cheat or because I've an urge to play RS I'm purely curious about how quickly they react to it. The only things really holding me back are the fact my main account may get banned and one day i may wish to play and the second being I'll probably get banned and have the thread removed from this site the moment i post the results cause I'm "cheating" even if it's for no gain.

PostPosted: August 17th, 2011, 9:45 am 
Runite Member

RS Name: Pennstate315
It's like the illegal immigration situation in the US, it's hard to stop all of bots. I think Jagex is just doing what the can at the moment.

Black Member 2-6-10

PostPosted: August 17th, 2011, 6:53 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

I don't think it's fair to compare a person acting to get better in a game by cheating to a person acting to have a not complete **** life/survive lol.

PostPosted: August 18th, 2011, 12:41 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Pennstate315
fair? Both situations are pretty much the same. Legal US citizens want a stop to illegal immigration. But there is so many illegals in the country it's hard to control. Same in Runescape, all the legit players want bots to be done with. But theres just so many of them, Jagex has trouble controlling them.

Black Member 2-6-10

PostPosted: August 18th, 2011, 12:55 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

In the sense that it's hard to solve completely, yeah I guess so. But in solutions and morals, no. For one you can go around banning bots, but you don't just go around killing people. For two, saying "if we're going to go into other countries and destroy them for resources for our own benefit we could at least let other people join us" morally makes sense, doesn't really make any sense to just allow botting in a game. etc.

PostPosted: August 18th, 2011, 1:12 pm 
Black Member

RS Name: 1965Mustang
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq9MXlPColw
This really puts everything into perspective... This pmod after making this vid also got his mod status taken away... Jagex... come on...

PostPosted: August 19th, 2011, 8:39 am 
Adamantite Member

RS Name: Tacomergency
It's sad that it's at the point that botting effects a game so much, but honestly, I don't feel there is anything they can do, unless a jagex moderator witnessed it themselves, and can positively say that it's a bot.