Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Xbox One: With or Without Kinect?
PostPosted: July 1st, 2014, 12:47 am 
Runite Member

RS Name: Magicking
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: Clan Quest
Hey guys,

As somebody who is about to move up into the next generation of consoles, what do you all think about the Kinect debate going on? Do you guys think it's worth the $500 bundle? Part of me feels like it's worth it, as more games are supporting it. It's also cheaper than it was for the 360 (when you consider the Kinect-less One is only $100 cheaper as compared to the $150 difference last generation). At the same time, it's a lot of money to shell out.

That leads to another thing, is there really ANY console that should have a $500+ pricetag? $400 is understandable, as that is what most have been released at over time, but that extra $100 really hurts casual gamers, I believe.

Let me know what you guys think. I've been a part of the PlayStation/Xbox debate since the beginning (I've owned both). The only reason why I want to stick with Microsoft is that everybody I know uses Xbox, not PlayStation.

(This is stemming off of Shane's Informer article from May)

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: July 1st, 2014, 12:47 am 
Runite Member

Post subject: Re: Xbox One: With or Without Kinect?
PostPosted: July 1st, 2014, 4:35 pm 
Site Owner

RS Name: shane12088
Yes, since you've read the article I won't go into more details. I haven't used an Xbox One with Kinect but I can say that at this point it doesn't make sense to not have one. The Xbox One was designed for Kinect, if you can afford it then definitely go for it. If not then well either wait or buy the Kinect later on.

PostPosted: July 1st, 2014, 5:18 pm 

RS Name: Lord Earth
Shane wrote:
Yes, since you've read the article I won't go into more details. I haven't used an Xbox One with Kinect but I can say that at this point it doesn't make sense to not have one. The Xbox One was designed for Kinect, if you can afford it then definitely go for it. If not then well either wait or buy the Kinect later on.

This guy's opinion is based mostly upon what I have told him.

You should not even consider getting an Xbox One without getting the Kinect. Even if you don't use it for playing games, you absolutely will not get the full experience.

Get the Kinect. It's well worth the $100. I could not imagine using my Xbox One without the Kinect.

Xbox, on

Global Moderator since August 25, 2014 18:30:29

PostPosted: July 5th, 2014, 8:01 pm 
Mithril Member

RS Name: Mr Bistro
Earth wrote:
Shane wrote:

This guy's opinion is based mostly upon what I have told him.

You should not even consider getting an Xbox One without getting the Kinect. Even if you don't use it for playing games, you absolutely will not get the full experience.

Get the Kinect. It's well worth the $100. I could not imagine using my Xbox One without the Kinect.

Xbox, on

To look at this from a standpoint of the views of the consumer, the competition is cheaper. The competition is more powerful than the new x box is. Sony did not have to deal with the always online and DRM backlash like Microsoft.

Essentially this is what I take out of the situation at this point. It DOES make sense for Microsoft to put out both options because a lower price makes the new X box more competitive when they are next to each other on the shelf. Sure the x box is less powerful, but they can now be the same price. This mutes the more money for less power mentality that plagued the platform for the first half the year.

PostPosted: July 5th, 2014, 10:49 pm 

RS Name: Lord Earth
Mr Bistro wrote:
The competition is more powerful than the new x box is.

Mr Bistro wrote:
Sure the x box is less powerful

How's that?

Mr Bistro wrote:
Sony did not have to deal with the always online and DRM backlash like Microsoft.

Microsoft pulled a Jagex on that one, yes

Global Moderator since August 25, 2014 18:30:29

PostPosted: July 8th, 2014, 12:56 am 
Cleverly Disguised Spammer

RS Name: Piratesock
Clan Name: The Mushroom Pirate Federation
Do you like being spied upon? Do you enjoy the sound of your own voice? Then get Kinect! You'll have a great time repeating yourself trying to get the stupid thing to obey your command when you could just push a button instead.

Make sure you have that camera facing towards the bed so the government can watch over you as you sleep. The wii u is the best games console to own right now. Not much difference between the PS4/X1 besides microsoft snooping in on your private life. PSN has a much better subscription service than Xbox live though. Every month you get 3-4 free games. Can't complain about that.

But to answer the question get it without kinect. Kinect is dead. Very little support for it now that they've dropped it.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: July 8th, 2014, 12:56 am 
Cleverly Disguised Spammer

PostPosted: July 8th, 2014, 11:52 am 
Runite Member

I found a place recently that is selling a pre-owned One with a pre-owned Kinect for $430. So Creepy, is it worth the extra $30? Even if there isn't any support whatsoever, I think paying an extra $30 is well worth it, considering Microsoft values it at $100 and that this generation isn't even a year old yet. Motion gaming is still a very small part of the market, but I'm fairly certain there will be at least ONE game that is Kinect only within the next 6 to 8 years that will make buying the Kinect worth it.

PostPosted: July 8th, 2014, 7:44 pm 
Site Owner

RS Name: shane12088
$30? Absolutely. It's an investment in the future.

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2014, 8:17 am 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Arrkain
Clan Name: Overloaded XP
Without trying to step on toes or get into a heated console war debate (based solely on fact and not opinion), the Kinect bundle is the smartest way to go. While I'm glad that MS has offered a lower price option to make more sales, I feel like only the uneducated are falling for the lower price alternative. I say uneducated because you are getting what you pay for and already fragmenting your gaming experience. Thus potentially putting yourself in a position to spend more money down the road if you ever wanted one. Most people associate Kinect with Dance Central and party oriented games. I use it purely for utility like snapping and recording game clips. It's easier to catch a clutch moment in Battlefield 4 by saying "Xbox, record that," than having to pause your game and navigate through a few menus. Also, I can see the future of some games utilizing the mic for the horror or stealth genre. However, I threw a hand towel over mine so it doesn't pick up any gestures like swiping etc.

And for all your tin foil hat wearers, it keeps the Feds away from watching you eat Cheetos half-naked playing CoD while they're on their lunch break.

| Combat - 138 | Total - 2695+ | Overall XP - 612m+ |
| RuneWire | My Twitter | My YouTube | My Twitch |
~17,365th to Max
51515 -> 22216
Image Image

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2014, 1:02 pm 
Runite Member

Now that I've had it for a while, I use it for the same exact reasons that Davo uses it. It's so easy to say a couple of words instead of having to flip through menus, find the recorder, and realize that too much time has passed and that you have now lost your clip. Once they add some more support to the connect (most of the apps won't even let you search with it yet) it will become one of the bigger pieces of the generation.. Or, bigger than the last generation, at least.