Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Xbox One
PostPosted: May 27th, 2013, 10:10 am 
Dragon Member

RS Name: Bogrollbloke
RS Status: Classic
CreepyPirate wrote:
Bogrollbloke wrote:
CreepyPirate wrote:
Some interesting facts about the box that they didn't announce at the show.

- Second hand games still exist but the store now has to log your details with microsoft who then remove the licence from your gamertag and collect a fee that goes to the publisher and microsoft. So expect them to be more pricey. That's why your xbox needs an internet connection so they can do a check every 24 hours.

That's an interesting way to do it. But does that mean you can't play pre-owned games if you're not connected to internet, or you can't use it if you're not connected. Internet connection is ruining everything. Screw the xbox one, I'm gonna buy an N64 from ebay.

It's a bad way of doing it. The understanding right now (and it could change) is that the game will be licensed to your gamertag. If you wish to trade that game in you'd take it to a store and they'd have to log it with microsoft, who would then remove your license for that game from your gamertag. So when your xbox checks in with there server it'll remove your access.

What this means is any store wanting to sell second hand games has to agree to microsofts terms and use there software and pay them and the publisher of the game a fee. Which means microsoft/the publisher can influence the price of second hand games.

There trying to spin it in a positive light but really your losing out. You have less options, you'll end up paying more and it'll probably screw over a lot of smaller shops. You wont even be able to let a mate borrow your game.

It does however mean that people with the gamertags "XXLOLCOD4LYFEXxxXX1134252" will be too embarrassed to trade in games. That's probably a good thing, 10 year olds don't look after discs.

I don't like what they're doing but I can see it from their point of view aswell. But used games have been around since games started, it obviously hasn't affected them THAT much or new games wouldn't still be coming out, and new consoles wouldn't be developed. The only people buying this new xbox are the people who have the aforementioned gamertags. As much as I hate to say it because I am totally an Xbox + Nintendo fanboy, the PS4 may be my first ever playstation purchase. I just need a PS controller that looks and feels like an xbox one... hmm...

Drop me a request on XBL, GamerTag is Barrett 1337

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: May 27th, 2013, 10:10 am 
Dragon Member

PostPosted: June 20th, 2013, 5:46 am 
Cleverly Disguised Spammer

RS Name: Piratesock
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: The Mushroom Pirate Federation
Microsoft released a statement today. Total U-turn on there DRM. All canceled.

They must of been getting slaughtered in the pre-orders.

PostPosted: June 20th, 2013, 4:26 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Bonsai99
RS Status: Retired
CreepyPirate wrote:
Microsoft released a statement today. Total U-turn on there DRM. All canceled.

They must of been getting slaughtered in the pre-orders.

If only they listened when people complained about Windows 8, I guess it takes them two screw-ups to figure out that they are doing something wrong.

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2013, 8:52 am 
Runite Member

RS Name: Xbladez
Nothing like a good dual shot to the feet to wake them up in the morning.
the rave reviews Sony got at E3 also helped to jar some sense into the idiotic business model that Microsoft had been working with as if it was a good one. Although I am still a little leary about how Sony was phrasing the comments about used games and such.

PostPosted: July 10th, 2013, 1:46 pm 

RS Name: Lord Earth
Clan Name: Clan Quest
Tim wrote:
What do you guys think? From the news that I've found is that it won't me "online only" like people thought it was going to have but there the Xbox One will not be able to play the Xbox 360 games as well as the Xbox arcade games you bought.

I didn't really have a problem with the always online thing. I have a constant internet connection; it wouldn't have caused me any grief.
This article sums up how I feel about them removing that and the consequences

Tim wrote:
Your gamer score, gamer tag and xbox live subscription will carry over.

Didn't know that! Very good!

I'm not concerned about privacy the always-on Kinect. You can just disable it

I've preordered mine and I look forward to playing it come November

Global Moderator since August 25, 2014 18:30:29

PostPosted: July 10th, 2013, 4:27 pm 
Runite Member

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: July 10th, 2013, 4:27 pm 
Runite Member

PostPosted: July 11th, 2013, 6:13 am 
Bronze Member

RS Name: Zahara Night
Clan Name: Madskills
Not happy

PostPosted: July 11th, 2013, 8:21 pm 

Bonsai99 wrote:

That's what happens when you complain too much.

PostPosted: July 19th, 2013, 7:30 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Jade Gizmo
Clan Name: Pawscape
For $500.
No thanks...

I keep seeing stuff about an upcoming game Destiny. That game looks awesome, but was surprised when it says it wont be out till next year AND that it will come out for the 360 also. Figured they would stop making 360 games with the One coming out. So why wouldn't I pick it up for that?

I've always been a Microsoft over Sony, but if there was a gun at my head and had to buy one, I'd go with the PS4.
Lot cheaper.
I've never been a gamer anyways, why would I pay 60 bucks for a new game where in a week I'm bored with it or wont play anymore.
I'm always 5 steps behind everyone else when it comes to the newish and latest technology. I'm not poor poor or anything but have better stuff I can spend my money on.

Hope it bombs, but fanboys would never allow that.

PostPosted: July 19th, 2013, 8:30 pm 
Runite Member

Sunset Fish wrote:

Well it was going to bomb really hard until Microsoft removed their awful DRM. Now all the fanboys are pleased.

PostPosted: July 19th, 2013, 10:24 pm 

Bonsai99 wrote:
Sunset Fish wrote:

Well it was going to bomb really hard until Microsoft removed their awful DRM. Now all the fanboys are pleased.

"The changes being made also affect its proposed family sharing policy. Since Microsoft is allowing players to have the flexibility to use games offline, it will not be launching its family sharing plan, which would have allowed up to 10 family members to log in and play games from anywhere."
I dunno about you, but I'd rather have that and have to use my nice, constant Internet connection at home once a day...

PostPosted: July 20th, 2013, 10:22 am 

Earth wrote:
Bonsai99 wrote:
Sunset Fish wrote:

"The changes being made also affect its proposed family sharing policy. Since Microsoft is allowing players to have the flexibility to use games offline, it will not be launching its family sharing plan, which would have allowed up to 10 family members to log in and play games from anywhere."
I dunno about you, but I'd rather have that and have to use my nice, constant Internet connection at home once a day...

Yeah I'm sure they was banking on more people thinking like you. Thankfully most don't see it that way.

It's even more concerning now that news has leaked about microsoft handing over info to the government. Including your skype calls. The X1 uses skype. At the risk of sounding like a crazy conspiracy theorist do you really want an always on camera in your house with that info out there? I don't want anyone looking in on me.

PostPosted: July 20th, 2013, 10:40 am 

CreepyPirate wrote:
Yeah I'm sure they was banking on more people thinking like you. Thankfully most don't see it that way.

It's even more concerning now that news has leaked about microsoft handing over info to the government. Including your skype calls. The X1 uses skype. At the risk of sounding like a crazy conspiracy theorist do you really want an always on camera in your house with that info out there? I don't want anyone looking in on me.

I still really don't see why it was a bad thing :?
And just unplug the Kinect if you're that paranoid and stuff it in a drawer when you are using the Xbox...

PostPosted: July 20th, 2013, 1:10 pm 
Dragon Member

RS Name: Evalithia
And if they won't let you unplug it, then turn it so it's facing a wall, or cover the sensors with sticky notes.

Or if you're really paranoid, sound-isolate it too by covering it in towels or something.

PostPosted: July 20th, 2013, 10:55 pm 

Earth wrote:
CreepyPirate wrote:

I still really don't see why it was a bad thing :?
And just unplug the Kinect if you're that paranoid and stuff it in a drawer when you are using the Xbox...

It's a bad thing because it's not needed. Because it's only there to make sure you're paying full price for your games and not getting them second hand. It's taking away some of your consumer rights and giving you nothing in return.

I can't gaurentee I'll have an internet connection in 5 years time. Can you? I'd be taking a risk buying this thing. What'll happen in 7 years time after the x1 launches and they decide to shut the servers down? All your games become worthless. You don't own them anymore you was simply renting them.

You can't shut the kinect off either. It's required (why?) for the X1. You'd have to do as Cliff suggested to avoid it and that's a stupid thing you'd have to do just to play your console in private.

Even with them backtracking on this they've lost a lot of trust now.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Forum Index » Off-Topic » Non-RuneScape Discussion » Gaming » Xbox One Go to page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]