Post subject: Re: Guide to GE Flipping
PostPosted: March 20th, 2011, 11:16 pm 
Site Owner

RS Name: mike12088
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: Bits and Bytes
Meltdown wrote:
i don't see how "thank you's" are banned.

Thank yous themselves aren't "banned" but posts consisting of only the words "thank you" are "banned" for the same reason that posts consisting of only "lol" or "that's funny" is not allowed in other forums. You can certainly say thank you in your post, but you should be posting something useful to continue the topic as well.

Earth wrote:
Riceay13 wrote:
Some Quick Flip tips:
- Don’t use even amounts. i.e 13,999 not 14,000 or 10,149,000 not 10,150,000

Why is that?

People like nice even numbers. Other people buying and selling will be more likely to type something ending in a 0 or 5. Selling something for 400gp? No! 399gp and you will beat all the people who type in 400 for their selling price. Same with buying something for 400gp. Buy for 401gp and you will beat all the other people who want to buy for 400. The difference can't be measured but I believe it can help you too. :P

Dothal Detra wrote:
What would you suggest to flip with around 3m?

My opinion is that items priced under 400gp would be a good fit for you. Start small and get a good feel for doing it with smaller quantities before going for the GE quantity limit of that item. Check the top traded items list for ideas. Anything with a large amount of traders will result in quick flips but likely a smaller profit margin. As you get more money, you can go for more expensive items. Riceay might have some better suggestions for you.

A tip I can give for finding items is to also check the 'instant sell' price. Riceay explained the 'instant buy' price well, it is definitely the most important part for knowing your selling price for the item you already know you want to flip, but when determining what item you would like to flip, the 'instant sell' price can also be incredibly useful. Do keep in mind that the 'instant sell' price is only useful for highly traded items.

An example for searching for items:
ImageImage
Instant buy bought at 150gp - this is the minimum price other people on the GE are selling at
Instant sell sold at 148gp - this is the maximum price other people on the GE are buying for
If you are going for a really quick flip you'd have you beat the 'instant sell' price for buying, and beat the 'instant buy' price for selling. In this case with the nature rune, the minimum price to beat both those is 149gp which would yield no profit.

I would not try to flip this item. You certainly could try with buying for a lower price than the current market ones, since prices fluctuate minute-to-minute, but it will take you longer than if you can find an item that has a bigger profit margin to begin with.

I went through a few items on the top traded list before I found this:
ImageImage
711-682gp - that leaves a profit margin of 27gp if you beat each of the prices by 1gp which is not bad. In general, the more you beat the 'instant buy' and 'instant sell' prices by, the faster your flips will go because there are likely lots of other people doing the same thing on the GE and you want to beat those people as well. You don't want to beat them by too much though or your profit is smaller!

The results:
ImageImage
Now I didn't know the quantity limit on bows was 5000 because I've never done them before and didn't look it up but I just ended the trade there to sell. I usually do more expensive items which leave you a bigger profit margin. This wasn't bad though, 85k profit in less than 2 minutes. When you find an item like this, you can do it multiple times in a row earning quite a bit of money. :)

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: March 20th, 2011, 11:16 pm 
Site Owner

PostPosted: March 27th, 2011, 10:06 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Comp Sci
Clan Name: W48 Stalkers
Very nice update, the suggestions will help people (like me) who are trying to figure out what to buy.
One small question: Is it better to flip a few of something with a decent price difference or a lot of something with a very small price difference, i.e. Glories vs. cannonballs?

PostPosted: March 27th, 2011, 2:01 pm 
Adamantite Member

RS Name: HappiestMaul
RS Status: Old School (2007)
Lol you know what kind of results ive had, but you might want to add whips to the 10m part of suggestions, thats what i mainly flipped

PostPosted: March 27th, 2011, 4:00 pm 
Adamantite Member

RS Name: Riceay13
1 Stone Pwn wrote:
Very nice update, the suggestions will help people (like me) who are trying to figure out what to buy.
One small question: Is it better to flip a few of something with a decent price difference or a lot of something with a very small price difference, i.e. Glories vs. cannonballs?

Good question and i'm not sure if I have a definite answer. :wink: When you flip something with a smaller difference it'll go faster then the items with a bigger deference but you will not make as much per flip. So you'll just need to find which item is yielding more profit. Think of it as balancing. When I flip furies I always debate if I should flip at 20k a piece (very fast) or 40k a piece (slower). So i'll do a test of both and if I can flip the 40k a piece offers within the time I can do 2 20k offers then thats better. It's a game. :D

@Tag - Whips added, thanks!

PostPosted: April 8th, 2011, 12:11 am 
Dragon Member

RS Name: Kill Kenny97
RS Status: Classic
Thanks for this, it's been working well.

I've been working with a budget of >1m so obviously there's less profit in it for me, however Chaos runes always work, so perhaps you could look into putting that into the guide somewhere? They're one of the best items to do on f2p, with the lower amounts of money that f2pers in general have.

PostPosted: August 21st, 2012, 1:15 am 
Steel Member

RS Name: Kon x
Very nice!

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: August 21st, 2012, 1:15 am 
Steel Member

PostPosted: January 16th, 2016, 10:59 pm 
Bronze Member

RS Name: Ridedjinn304
RS Status: F2P
Still don't understand how people make millions when most I made would be like 10k+ gold

PostPosted: January 16th, 2016, 11:10 pm 
Bronze Member

RS Name: Ridedjinn304
RS Status: F2P
How do you find a chat channel? Trying to look for PC 101