Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: A New Direction for SOTW
PostPosted: February 7th, 2009, 12:23 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Chief. Snake
RS Status: Retired
Clan Name: Bits and Bytes
It has been a little while since anything really changed about the Signature of the Week competition. Apart from the Judge Rotation System, a slightly altered frequency of themed weeks... it seems not long ago I was making those new trophies! Well, I decided something needed to be done. The SOTW was becoming less and less lively. Where were all our participants going? It was just same old same old. Sure, same old same old make nice signatures and all, but it's always nice to have some variety.

So we put our heads together and said, "What can we do?" - well, we actually did that months ago. We never came up with anything however, until quite recently. The judges would not like it one bit, even though everyone else probably would. After a moment of deliberation, I was sold. If anything, this was the answer.

And the answer is in the form of undoing some of our previous answers.
As of next week, there will no longer be a judge rotation system. In fact, there will be no single group of judges at all. Why?
The new judges are you. You, the members of the forums.
Everyone can enter. Everyone can vote. It's really just another way to involve everyone, since we like to think of RSBANDB as an open community. Why we didn't come up with this sooner is beyond me!

In addition to this, on the first week of every month (the week starting on the first Saturday of the month, excluding this month which will just be normal), only those with 0 wins will be able to enter. If we're going to involve everybody and, above all, make things fun, this is the key. Everybody gets a chance; you can't go wrong.

There have been some slight rule alterations to account for these new changes. If you're interested in participating in the SOTW then I recommend you have a quick scan over them, however the only significant difference is a minor change in schedule (by a few hours).

Finally, I welcome everyone to get their sigs entered in this week's SOTW: the first to be judged by the public. You have a full week from now to do so, and then you can check back in the SOTW forum to cast your vote.

Much love,
Chiefykins

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: February 7th, 2009, 12:23 am 
Rsbandb Donor

Post subject: Re: A New Direction for SOTW
PostPosted: February 7th, 2009, 2:19 am 
Runite Member

RS Name: xHoward9
RS Status: P2P
This is sad :(.
But tbh this is what the SOTW needs. This should encourage people to enter if they feel that the SOTW is a reflection of the community and not just how us judges vote.
Hopefully the 0 wins week will get some new entries too :)

SOTM:5 10 11 16
WINSIGS:72 86 93 95 99 101 102 119 129 170 187

PostPosted: February 7th, 2009, 7:15 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Kirbiy
I like the way you guys are going, but honestly, I don't see what the sotw judges will do now. :(
Another thing about this is that it isn't a professional judge (not a degree of critiquing though) that rates from criteria. If you allow everyone to vote, then it may not be judged correctly.

That is my say on things. Let's hope I am wrong. :)

PostPosted: February 7th, 2009, 9:58 am 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Firemana
Clan Name: Problem Solvers
I can't honestly say that I like it, seeing as how people will win or lose because of popularity now, not graphical skills.

What use are the Judges now? Are they going to be converted over to SOTW Staff to make sure that all entries obey the rules?

88th Dragon Member : Informer Writer : Content Crew : Chat Moderator ::
"If it ain't broke, dun fix it."

PostPosted: February 7th, 2009, 10:03 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Tim2
Clan Name: Bits and Bytes
This is going to be weird, What is going to the SOTW judges? I would sort of be fun to judge one but... anyway, I hope you have this all planned out because if this goes horrible wrong, we will all come and find you and make you get the judges back.

/ August '15 (Fishing) \

/ Skiller of the Year Wins - 2009 | 2015 \
/ Informer Runescape Writer from 01/27/09 to 9/27/12 | 80th Dragon Member | RSBandB donator \
/Global Moderator April 1st, 2015 - April 1st, 2015\
/ 842 to 99 Dungeoneering & First RSBandBer to 99 Dungeoneering \

PostPosted: February 7th, 2009, 11:25 am 
Site Owner

RS Name: shane12088
The Judges group will be dismantled. And as Chief said with this everyone can be a judge now. In the end the whole of the forum will have a louder voice eliminating a popularity contest.

As for rules, people can either report signatures that they see as rule breaking (mods will handle it) or if no one reports the signature, the signature will be screened prior to voting.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: February 7th, 2009, 11:25 am 
Site Owner

PostPosted: February 7th, 2009, 3:51 pm 
Dragon Member

RS Status: Old School (2007)
Let's just hope the SOTW just doesnt turn into a popularity contest.

Now I just wonder, How long will last the voting time.

PostPosted: February 7th, 2009, 5:39 pm 
Dragon Member

RS Name: FungiMonarch
Clan Name: The Hot Nuns of Taverley
Superb idea. It's one of those things we all wish we thought of ages ago. *applaud*

PostPosted: February 7th, 2009, 9:32 pm 
Dragon Member

RS Name: Deborahone
Clan Name: Elven Alliance
I have been an SOTW Judge for 170 SOTW weeks (since Sep-14-2005) and I have seen some bad times, bad leadership, lack of entries, lack of punctuality, and probably more but the SOTW lasted through it.

chief Snake wrote:
So we put our heads together and said, "What can we do?" - well, we actually did that months ago. We never came up with anything however, until quite recently.

Who is this "we"? I don't remember a post about this. If there is a post about it, please PM it to me.

you wrote:
The judges would not like it one bit, even though everyone else probably would. After a moment of deliberation, I was sold. If anything, this was the answer.

I may not be able to speak for all the judges but atleast for me your right about me not liking it one bit. Some of the Judges, myself included, have only ever had this one rank. And, although it isn't as envied as Moderator, Events Crew, Newspaper Staff or even Content Crew, it is still a position which we were able to fill. In my opinion if this is the answer then someone was asking the wrong question.

you wrote:
Everyone can enter. Everyone can vote. It's really just another way to involve everyone, since we like to think of RSBANDB as an open community. Why we didn't come up with this sooner is beyond me!

I think why this wasn't done sooner was because Chewy_Wok wanted this competition to be more than just some art contest judged by "whoever wants to". He wanted "a select team of SOTW judges" to select the most outstanding, best quality, besk workmanship, piece of art.

Even though Shane said:
Shane wrote:
And as Chief said with this everyone can be a judge now. In the end the whole of the forum will have a louder voice eliminating a popularity contest.

I think it will still be possible for a popular person to win, it will definately be easier for someone to buy first place because as Chief Snake said "Everyone can vote". That means a player with enough money could bribe 20 or more people to vote for his signature (not saying that anyone will, but there is that possibility) we only have 2,282 members, of them only 107 have been active within the last 24 hours and I doubt that they are all interested in graphics enough to go to the SOTW forum and vote.

chief Snake wrote:
In addition to this, on the first week of every month (the week starting on the first Saturday of the month, excluding this month which will just be normal), only those with 0 wins will be able to enter. If we're going to involve everybody and, above all, make things fun, this is the key. Everybody gets a chance; you can't go wrong.

This is probably the only thing I like about this post, hopefully the lesser known artists will come and enter but how will someone know they haven't won before if they don't keep track of it in their signature and don't remember winning?

SOTW Judge (Sep 14, 2005 1:38 pm - Feb 06, 2009 8:58 pm)
Spoiler for Everything else:

A Kid asked Jesus, "How much do you love me?" and Jesus said. "This much."
And spread his arms out on the cross and died.
If you believe that he did this for you put this in your signature.

PostPosted: February 8th, 2009, 1:14 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Sevith
Clan Name: RSBandB of course!
Its a bad decision in my opinion. The old SotW was fine the way it was.

Marty O' Donnell says Howdy :)!

PostPosted: February 8th, 2009, 6:07 am 
Cleverly Disguised Spammer

RS Name: Piratesock
Clan Name: The Mushroom Pirate Federation
Clearly the decision to change it so radically was to boost popularity on it. The alternative would probably have been to shut it down all together so it's not really worth complaining about.

This is just how it works, you create something, get the right formula and stick with it, tweaking it only when needed. SOTW has been getting less popular mostly because the site isn't really heading in the same direction anymore this seems like the best solution, even if it does open it up slightly to being a popularity contest.

PostPosted: February 8th, 2009, 9:54 am 
Dragon Member

RS Status: Classic
Guess my infamous win rate is going to drop dead.

I mean, nobody's going to vote for me since 'tis a popularity contest now, right?

PostPosted: February 8th, 2009, 11:50 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Kangas Khan
Clan Name: MaSoRs
Another one bites the dust.

Really does make me wonder why I even bother sometimes.

PostPosted: February 8th, 2009, 12:33 pm 
Dragon Member

RS Name: Tbl
RS Status: Old School (2007)
I notice a few of you complaining about the SOTW Judge rank being deleted...if you were in this just to have a special staff rank, then you weren't in it for the reason they wanted a seperate team of judges. They wanted people who liked art, knew what they were looking at, or just wanted to give their opinion--not people who wanted a special colour next to their name.

You all should not get angry with Brad or anyone associated with the SOTW. If you feel this was not necessary, open your eyes. The SOTW competition had only lost the attention it once had. The "zero wins only" thing every 4 weeks may not work out too well because of the fact that the competition has lost popularity; new members who have no wins may not feel like entering or they may not like to make art. However, it gives a chance for the less experienced to improve among people on their own level. I know a ton of you guys are Call of Duty fanboys, so let's dumb this down and put it in a situation you can comprehend. Someone just got the game, they play you one on one, and you destroy them. How much fun was that for them?

The disbanding of the judges and allowing the community as a whole to judge has minor flaws, like Slimppu suggests he will never win again. In my opinion, if you make good art and enter it, even if I don't really like you, if it's GOOD it WILL get my vote (we can only hope the rest of the community has a similar mindset. I don't hate any of you guys yet, though) :]

PostPosted: February 8th, 2009, 11:47 pm 
Runite Member

Location: In a weapon shop getting another sword for my collection nz
RS Name: 99887
This could turn out either great or bad, we will just have to wait and see.