Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: About Plagiarizing, Stock Images, and Vectors
PostPosted: February 18th, 2005, 9:00 pm 
Dragon Member

RS Name: meatwad3
RS Status: Classic
Please do not steal peoples avatars or/and sigs! Its very rude because they took the time to make it! If you are caught doing this you will be severely punished! If you like a persons avatar or sig please ask them where they got it and if you could get one.

Rafe Edit~ To specify on the definition about plagiarism, this means any actual content made by something else. Using the same idea is allowed, but anything other then idea is illegal.
Did you know that there are 3 Last Supper's by 3 different artists? Yeah, there is Da Vinci's but there were two others. For all we know, Da Vinci's is based off of another one.

Keep in mind on this topic, that even if you do borrow ideas, you could still cite the other person or pm them or something, its just not strictly required.

If you find anyone ripping off others' works, please contact the staff team via PM and we will handle it. Thank you.

I love Taco's!!!Image

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: February 18th, 2005, 9:00 pm 
Dragon Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 29th, 2006, 2:33 pm 
Dragon Member

RS Name: FungiMonarch
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: The Hot Nuns of Taverley
About Using Stock Photos in your Art

When making a sig or full piece of art, if you decide to use stock photos then you must go through the correct (legal) method of getting them. I'll explain this here so that we can avoid copyright issues when you post your work. This is a VERY expanded tutorial about stock photos. I've separated it into questions so that you can find your information more easily.

What is a stock image?

A stock image is an image with very light rules on copyright and licensing. Many photos submitted are either public domain or for free use within certain rules. An example of a stock photo would be Here

How do I know what is stock and what is not?

It depends on the website you are using.

* If you use DeviantART, you should be searching for stock in the "Resources/Stock Images" category.

* If you use SXC.hu, all you have to do is use the search field.

Are there any rules I need to follow when using stock?

For almost all stock, there are guidelines you have to follow. If you use stock, be sure to check to see if the artist requires you to follow any rules. Let's return to our first example.. If we click on the artists name, Tepras-stock, we arrive at his userpage. Usually, stock artists post their rules in their journal. On his journal, there are five rules regarding the use of his stock.

The first rule says, "For DeviantArt use only. Don't use my stocks for other websites". Say I wanted to use his flower picture in my sig. According to his rules, I could not use the flower photo off of DeviantART. Well, that sucks. If that's the case, I'd want to search for flowers from another stock artist who will allow me to use photos off-site.

What is the best website to use for making sigs/avatars?

I'd recommend SXC.hu. There are no restrictions for making sigs/avatars with the images and the photo quality is great.

What is the best site for making full works of art?

For that, DeviantART would be better. You should sign up for an account there and host your finished pieces there. If you wanted to display them elsewhere (like in Graphics Central), just post the link! DeviantART allows for high resolution photos to be uploaded and people can comment on your work.

Do I have to credit the people whose stock I've used?

Yes and no. There are two different ways to do this depending on your situation.

* If you've used stock and posted the final artwork on DeviantART, you should always credit each stock artist in the description and link to their account.
* If you used SXC.hu and used stock from there, it's recommended that you credit somewhere where you got it from-- but it's not really required. If you were to sell something containing that image (like a t-shirt), you would have to notify the maker. That's the only case where you would need permission.
* If you're posting a sig on RSBANDB and you've used photos from SXC.hu or some other free stock site, you should always link to the images you've used.

What if I want to use something in my work that isn't labeled as stock?

You'll have to receive express permission to use that image from the original artist. When asking for permission, tell the artists where it'll be used, how, and why you're using it. It always helps to be courteous too.

This may seem like a lot to digest, so if you have any questions as to how to use a stock image please contact me (Mushroom Queen) or Shane.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 14th, 2007, 8:33 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Canard
RS Status: P2P
Hello, Graphics-Creators of RSBandB.

I have created this post as I have in the past and present seen bitmap images incorrectly titled as being vectors. I will further definate the differences between the two in the remainder of this post.

What exactly is a vector?

A vector graphic is a graphic created in a vector graphic program such as Illustrator, Macromedia Flash or Inkscape. Vector graphics are rendered by mathematical formulas rather than pixels as is the case with bitmap graphics. As such, Vectors can be rescaled indefinitely without any adverse effects toward image quality.

What is a bitmap?

A raster graphic, or bitmap, is a graphic created in a raster graphic program such as Paint, Photoshop or The Gimp. Raster graphics consist of little squares called pixels to render the image.

Now, it seems that it is commonly, though incorrectly, viewed that an image that contains random shapes or silhouettes of objects is a vector. However, this is not the case as generally the image was not created in a vector graphics program and cannot be resized without pixelation.
Instead, this image can be referred to as a Vexel

As seen in the wikipedia article, a vexel is a raster image that imitates the vector graphics style. Though the "vector graphics style" normally consists of more than random shapes and silhouttes, this is the closest definition that there is to these types of graphics pieces.

One last note:
Though vector images created in a vector graphics editor but saved as raster files technically aren't vectors as they are now raster. It is, in my opinion, acceptable to publicize the bitmap image as a vector as long as you save a vector version as well. This is due to the fact that Internet Explorer does not support the internet accesable filetype of Scalable Vector Graphics or SVG.

- Matt