Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Signature of the Week
PostPosted: January 28th, 2011, 5:46 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Sevith
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: RSBandB of course!
Hey all, I know I don't post here as often as I used to, and theres many reasons for that.

Anyways, I was hoping to see how the community was on bringing back SotW. Seems that theres many a new people here and the Graphics Central forum is slowly starting to fill up. I would love it if the SotW was revived back.

Just wanted to see what you guys thought. :D

Marty O' Donnell says Howdy :)!

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: January 28th, 2011, 5:46 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

Post subject: Re: Signature of the Week
PostPosted: January 28th, 2011, 6:58 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Chief. Snake
RS Status: Retired
Clan Name: Bits and Bytes
It's absolutely open to discussion and consideration, and I'm pleased that you've brought it back onto the table, but realistically based on the activity in that section at the moment, I'd argue that we still have a very long way to go.

If the SOTW were to be reinstated -- just so you're aware that it would require some work first -- there are some logistical aspects that would need to be addressed given that new coordinator(s) would need to be appointed (I don't intend to take on any further commitments this year). Some little bits of the SOTW site would need to be rewritten; I never wrote modules for editing or uploading trophies, for example, as I would have just uploaded them via FTP (as I always did prior to creating the database) or edited through phpMyAdmin. You can appreciate that access to those features is somewhat exclusive to minimise security vulnerabilities. Basically we can work around its current limitations of course, but it's extra effort. :P

If there was enough enthusiasm and a plan could be worked out amongst you guys, I would be more than happy to clean up my code and pass it on for whoever wants to take care of it, but it'd need heaps of support. :P

PostPosted: January 31st, 2011, 7:57 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Killjoy4eva
RS Status: Old School (2007)
I would love to have it back but to be honest I don't see many people making signatures. I think that holding a training class or something along those lines might be beneficial though..

PostPosted: January 31st, 2011, 7:58 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Comp Sci
Clan Name: W48 Stalkers
I'd love to learn how to make signatures, looks fun :D

PostPosted: January 31st, 2011, 8:39 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Skype Jay
RS Status: F2P
for it to even be worth doing it would definitely have to have a larger time frame....... like signature of the month

PostPosted: February 1st, 2011, 8:09 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Pennstate315
Warren has a good idea. Every month might be better.

Black Member 2-6-10

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: February 1st, 2011, 8:09 pm 
Runite Member

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2011, 9:06 am 
Runite Member

Location: In an underground lair, helping the monkies plan their overthrow of humans. us
RS Name: Regnenth
Clan Name: Bloody Ravens
yeh, i like the month idea. it gives people more time to create a signature of higher quality. and it allows people more gloating time =p

There's a very fine line between not listening, and not caring. I like to think that I walk that line every day

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2011, 10:16 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Biscuit
I'm not very good with art but I was wondering if there was a way I could learn to make signatures? :)

~ Jeki ~

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2011, 4:00 pm 
Site Owner

RS Name: shane12088
I personally don't see how it will be successful at this point. There were only 5 topics containing signatures in Graphics Central in the month of January. Among this group there wasn't enough variety to warrant SOTW returning. That amount of signatures would need to be made weekly for SOTW. There's also not enough diversity in the people posting signatures.

Nonetheless, I've escalated this to our decision making area. You can expect an actual decision to be made in about a week.

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2011, 4:29 pm 
Site Owner

RS Name: mike12088
Clan Name: Bits and Bytes
Right now there doesn't appear to be enough activity in the graphics area to bring back SOTW. And a monthly time period is far too long for a competition of this nature. Why would people want to enter in the first week of the month when other entrants have a full month to come up with something better?

In order to bring back an officially competition it should be shown that it will be able to succeed first. There is no point in an official competition that has sporadic deadlines from having to be extended.

Get more people interested in graphics and/or post more topics yourself! We also encourage you guys to host your own competitions.

However, this is not the end-all decision. We would like to continue to hear any feedback on the matter.

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2011, 5:03 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Skype Jay
Quote:
Why would people want to enter in the first week of the month when other entrants have a full month to come up with something better?

Well what is better is subjective and relative. There is only so much you can put into things before it is just too much... and someone entering later might have worked on a signature for a month but it doesn't mean it is good.
I see that could be a problem if people were entering in the last week having an unfair advantage by seeing the earlier entries but isn't there a forum setting that only makes posts viewable to certain people? Maybe there isn't XD.

Or it could be SOTM but the topic only posted like 10 days or something to the end of the month. Or not even have time limits just once there are a certain amount of entries, entries close.

I don't know.. I don't even want sotw back nor do I think it will be popular or any better off in any reincarnation than when it was removed.