Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: An unasked question...
PostPosted: October 25th, 2010, 1:58 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Duke Juker
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: Clan Quest
Maybe it's just me, but I don't think anyone has ever asked this question. Why is this site called Runescape Bits and Bytes? It could be a short or long answer, but I was just curious. What's the significance behind the name and how did you guys (Mike/Shane) pick it?

82nd Dragon Member since 05/12/2010
RSBandB Member #517
Current Activities: Ports, Dailies/Monthlies, DXP
Skill Masteries: Firemaking, Cooking, Woodcutting, Fletching, Mining, Agility, Prayer, Smithing, Fishing, Summoning, Construction, Herblore, Hunter, Thieving, Crafting, Divination, Dungeoneering, Farming, Runecrafting, Slayer, Magic, Ranged, Defence, Constitution, Attack, Strength, Invention & 1st Max (3/9/19), Archaeology & 2nd Max (4/16/21), 200m Firemaking, Necromancy

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: October 25th, 2010, 1:58 am 
Rsbandb Donor

Post subject: Re: An unasked question...
PostPosted: October 25th, 2010, 2:30 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: B66f
Clan Name: bitsbytes
Well, I infer my meaning of it from the subtitle (making RuneScape history bit by bit). Well, we all know how much of a nerd Shane is, so that's probably where it came from ;)

Also, the name comes from the saying "bits and pieces." The owners came up with the fusion of these two concepts to find a reasonable play on words.

Personally, I think it's a good name.

PostPosted: October 25th, 2010, 2:48 am 
Cleverly Disguised Spammer

RS Name: Piratesock
Clan Name: The Mushroom Pirate Federation
Fudge wrote:
Well, I infer my meaning of it from the subtitle (making RuneScape history bit by bit). Well, we all know how much of a nerd Shane is, so that's probably where it came from ;)

Also, the name comes from the saying "bits and pieces." The owners came up with the fusion of these two concepts to find a reasonable play on words.

Personally, I think it's a good name.

Pretty much. Shane explained it to me once. I think Mike wasn't so sure on it but i can't really remember.

PostPosted: October 25th, 2010, 3:03 am 

RS Name: King Kulla
RS Status: F2P
I'll take you to the relevant portion of Brad's interview with Mike and Shane way back in 2006. :D

http://informer.rsbandb.com/article/2006/06/37/rsbandb-interviews-mike-shane.htm

Quote:
Brad: What gave you the insperation to first start a Runescape fan site?

Mike: Well actually, I didn’t think it would go anywhere, I didn’t think we should…. I made runescape calculators
and a signature for personal use, and shane suggested we start a site to display them for other people to use

Shane: Yea that’s pretty much how it worked.

Shane: I also think that we thought we’d just try it out to see if it caught on then continue if it did

Shane: and of course, it did

Mike: We were first site with rs2 calcs although no one knew about our site

Shane: Yea, I’m pretty sure some of our early members got banned from other sites advertising it.

Brad: Heh, So how did you come up with the name “Rsbandb”?

Shane: The idea is something that I thought of when I was on a field trip to a computer centre in the city.

Shane: They had something called The Bits and Bytes Cafe

Shane: this was in late May.

Mike: and i couldn’t think of anything better for a name… so i’m like sure…. although I couldn’t say
I liked the name that much, I still didn’t think site would get anywhere because there was lots of other
fan sites for runescape already

PostPosted: October 25th, 2010, 5:18 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Duke Juker
Clan Name: Clan Quest
That definitely covers it Kulla. Thanks. Good to know we stole...ahem...borrowed the name from a cafe. xD

Only kidding, of course. I think it's a good name. For the record, I'm glad you guys decided to make the site. It's turned out awesome. Hold on, let me get the brown stuff off my nose real quick.

*rubs nose* ;)

82nd Dragon Member since 05/12/2010
RSBandB Member #517
Current Activities: Ports, Dailies/Monthlies, DXP
Skill Masteries: Firemaking, Cooking, Woodcutting, Fletching, Mining, Agility, Prayer, Smithing, Fishing, Summoning, Construction, Herblore, Hunter, Thieving, Crafting, Divination, Dungeoneering, Farming, Runecrafting, Slayer, Magic, Ranged, Defence, Constitution, Attack, Strength, Invention & 1st Max (3/9/19), Archaeology & 2nd Max (4/16/21), 200m Firemaking, Necromancy

PostPosted: October 25th, 2010, 5:24 pm 

RS Name: King Kulla
RS Status: F2P
As a side note, I google map'd "Bits and Bytes Cafe" and came up with something in Leduc, Alberta. No idea if it's the same cafe or chain as the inspiration in downtown Edmonton, but it's something worth noting.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=bits+and+bytes+cafe&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=29.481488,79.013672&ie=UTF8&hq=bits+and+bytes+cafe&hnear=&t=h&layer=c&cbll=53.264766,-113.548585&panoid=HqNR989Iy6gFYU-RoHyWvg&cbp=12,211.53,,0,1.44&ll=53.253507,-113.529625&spn=0.106603,0.308647&z=12

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: October 25th, 2010, 5:24 pm 

PostPosted: November 7th, 2010, 1:40 pm 
Iron Member

RS Name: Peler
Surely it's just supposed to represent that this site covers runescape and that it has bits and bytes :P

PostPosted: November 10th, 2010, 10:03 pm 

RS Name: j1j2j3
As I recall, after Runehq saw their calculators, they borrowed them. In exchange Runehq let them use their quest guides. But the evil Weezy being the elephant she was, was a total jerk and hated many things about Mike and Shane.

As for at the time, I was still with Runehq's newspaper staff when I heard about their calculators and came here. I can't even remember if i had a special rank here for being Rhq staff member here but all I can remember was doing an interview with shane and asked if he preferred pepsi or coke, I got a shane answer.

PostPosted: November 11th, 2010, 8:48 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: VettelS
trekkie wrote:
As I recall, after Runehq saw their calculators, they borrowed them. In exchange Runehq let them use their quest guides. But the evil Weezy being the elephant she was, was a total jerk and hated many things about Mike and Shane.

As for at the time, I was still with Runehq's newspaper staff when I heard about their calculators and came here. I can't even remember if i had a special rank here for being Rhq staff member here but all I can remember was doing an interview with shane and asked if he preferred pepsi or coke, I got a shane answer.

I thought that you're allergic to capital letters :D