Post subject: Grand Exchange Portfolios
PostPosted: December 22nd, 2011, 11:28 pm 
Site Owner

RS Name: shane12088
RS Status: P2P
Here it is, the Grand Exchange Portfolio system. Some of you may be aware of this if you read my November Informer article. For those who aren't aware of what this system does, here's a rundown:

- Track prices and keep watch of individual items.
- Track prices and keep watch of a basket of items.
- Look up the current price and price history of RuneScape items.

You must be logged in to access your own portfolio. If you aren't logged in you'll be able to view a selection of community baskets. This brings us to community baskets.

Right now we have about 5 community baskets set up for you all to view as an example. There will be more in the future. If you think one of the baskets you make might make a good basket for everyone, send it to me.

To get started simply search for an item. From here you can either add the item to a basket by creating a new basket or selecting a pre-existing basket. You can also add an item by just clicking the basic "+" button, this will add the item to your general watch list.

You can also see what items are in a basket from the main portfolio page by clicking the down arrow. This will also allow you to change the name of the basket, set an alert price, or delete the basket (or items) entirely.

The price index is a value that starts at 100 on basket creation. Indices are calculated going backwards in price history. You can view the past history of the basket by clicking on the hyperlink.

This brings us to the graph page. These probably look familiar since they use the same technology that the Skill of The Month graphs use. This page is useful for viewing past history of an item or basket. You can toggle which items are displayed on the graph by clicking on a row in the table below.

With that being said I hope you enjoy this "little" tool. It is a beta. The beta status means that things might change in the future, although not dramatically. It also means you may discover odd hiccups as you use the system, though most of the basic features should presently be working. If you see anything that doesn't appear right, post it here.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: December 22nd, 2011, 11:28 pm 
Site Owner

Post subject: Re: Grand Exchange Portfolios
PostPosted: December 23rd, 2011, 1:51 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Dothal Detra
RS Status: F2P
Clan Name: Irenic
I've wanted something like this for ages, great work Shane! I'll check it out soon.

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2011, 7:08 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: RRman Nz
This is cool i already started a mean list of all the things i make money off, does the "set price alert" feature not work yet? what is the "set price alert" feature anyway? would be cool if u could get sent an email when an item rises above or below a price, eg, send an email when d claws reach 15 mill? could that be done? it would be awesome

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2011, 9:53 am 
Bronze Member

RS Name: Hinze123
This thing, it's amazing.

No really, I mean this is probably one of the most useful runescape tools I've come across, I'm definitely going to be getting a lot of use out of this.

The only real improvement i can see would probably be some sort of (as RRman stated) for when a certain item hits a certain price. though it would probably be more useful for it to have a margin, like "alert when prayer pots hit 7,236 gp or fall below 6600 gp".

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2011, 1:31 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

allta wrote:

though it would probably be more useful for it to have a margin, like "alert when prayer pots hit 7,236 gp or fall below 6600 gp".

Yea this is a great idea :)

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2011, 7:12 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Duke Juker
Clan Name: Clan Quest
Is there anything like this elsewhere or is this completely original? Either way, this is exceptional work. Nice job Shane. 8)

82nd Dragon Member since 05/12/2010
RSBandB Member #517
Current Activities: Ports, Dailies/Monthlies, DXP
Skill Masteries: Firemaking, Cooking, Woodcutting, Fletching, Mining, Agility, Prayer, Smithing, Fishing, Summoning, Construction, Herblore, Hunter, Thieving, Crafting, Divination, Dungeoneering, Farming, Runecrafting, Slayer, Magic, Ranged, Defence, Constitution, Attack, Strength, Invention & 1st Max (3/9/19), Archaeology & 2nd Max (4/16/21), 200m Firemaking, Necromancy

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: December 23rd, 2011, 7:12 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

PostPosted: December 24th, 2011, 9:37 am 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Uncle Dano
Clan Name: Knights of Honour
Excellent tool, indeed. May I suggest one addition? It would be nice to see the High Alch value as well for the items, allowing a comparison with the current G.E. price at the time. This would allow us to make a decision as to when to HLA an item or put it up for sale on the G.E. Great work, Shane. Well done.

Web: Uncle Dano's RS Wiki | RS Hiscores: Uncle Dano

Last edited by Uncle Dano on December 30th, 2011, 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: December 25th, 2011, 4:02 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

Uncle Dano wrote:
Excellent tool, indeed. May I suggest one addition? It would be nice to see the High Alch value as well for the items, allowing a comparison with the current G.E. price at the time. This would allow us to make a decision as to when to HLA an item or put it up for sale on the G.E. Great work, Shane. Well done.

another great idea, this tools is so sweet

PostPosted: December 25th, 2011, 4:26 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Duke Juker
Uncle Dano wrote:

It's a good idea, but there are already a lot of alch calculators out there. Probably better to just use those. But if it isn't too much work, you should definitely add it in for the portfolio. Do you plan on making a high alch calculator for the site as well eventually?

82nd Dragon Member since 05/12/2010
RSBandB Member #517
Current Activities: Ports, Dailies/Monthlies, DXP
Skill Masteries: Firemaking, Cooking, Woodcutting, Fletching, Mining, Agility, Prayer, Smithing, Fishing, Summoning, Construction, Herblore, Hunter, Thieving, Crafting, Divination, Dungeoneering, Farming, Runecrafting, Slayer, Magic, Ranged, Defence, Constitution, Attack, Strength, Invention & 1st Max (3/9/19), Archaeology & 2nd Max (4/16/21), 200m Firemaking, Necromancy

PostPosted: December 27th, 2011, 1:21 pm 

RS Name: Lord Earth
Looks nifty. I'll probably be using this a lot :)
Thanks, Shane <3

Global Moderator since August 25, 2014 18:30:29

PostPosted: December 31st, 2011, 4:05 pm 
Mithril Member

RS Name: Eon
Duke Juker wrote:
Is there anything like this elsewhere or is this completely original? Either way, this is exceptional work. Nice job Shane. 8)

Something like this was done on Grandexchangecentral.com, but I think they got hacked so they were forced to take it down.

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2012, 9:25 am 
Mithril Member

RS Name: Matt258
Clan Name: The Slayers Guild
This is GREAT! Thanks a lot!

PostPosted: January 9th, 2012, 7:37 pm 
Site Owner

RS Name: shane12088
I've put a few tiny fixes out, the most apparent of them is graph panning and zooming. You can use your mouse to drag the graph around. To zoom in just double click anywhere on the map and then the map will zoom in by a sane amount. If you prefer the mouse wheel, you can also use it to zoom in. All zoom operations are focused around the mouse cursor.

As for the alert feature, you can just enter a price. The system will then highlight the row when the price reaches that target. I wanted to have it send out emails or at the very least private message you but if this thing attains critical mass and numerous alerts are being triggered daily it would not be good for our mail server. If the alert feature is used frequently I would be open to expanding its functionality to make it more useful to power users.

Also, note we have three new community baskets (Barrows, potions, herblore secondaries) courtesy of Davo and Uncle Dano.

PostPosted: January 20th, 2012, 8:46 am 
Bronze Member

RS Name: Etharon
Clan Name: Etheral Guardians
amazing tool love using it :) thanks

PostPosted: March 20th, 2012, 11:44 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Bryan Tran
Clan Name: W22 Farming
Shane wrote:
If you see anything that doesn't appear right, post it here.

Okay Shane, here you go:
http://rsbb.ca/k61

Sorry for the name, I could not think of anything else at that time. Needless to say, values are way (WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WHACK) off, and so is the index.

For fun's sake, I'll post pics:

It's after midnight (or 11 o'clock, I don't care), and I've never used the tool at this time. Maybe it's just whacky hour?

Good night. 8)

EDIT:
I'm so tired I missed this guy here:
http://rsbb.ca/k63

There's another one in worthless herbs, but I think that one's legit. ;)