Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: How do I utilize and take advantage of the EOC system?
PostPosted: December 28th, 2013, 3:32 am 
Bronze Member

RS Name: RedMagick
RS Status: P2P
EoC has been out for a long time now, and I'm still not quite sure I'm playing as well as I could be. My problem is I'm not sure if I'm utilizing the right combat styles. I'm going to throw down a bullet list of a few questions I have and hopefully I can get some insight on them, any feedback is appreciated.

- What Abilities are best for basic rotations and; When should I be using ability rotations, and when is it best to let my character auto attack to refresh cooldowns?

- How much if at all, does style weakness add to your damage/accuracy; Say a Melee weak mob with a specific weakness to Slashing Attacks, Are slashing attacks actually more effective than crushing or stabbing? and if so how much?

-When should I be using 1 handed weapons, Dual Wielding or 2 Handed Weapons?

- When are shields viable? Space is typically tight on the ability bar should I make room for a few shield abilities for the off chance I use one?

- When (if ever) is momentum viable?

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: December 28th, 2013, 3:32 am 
Bronze Member

Post subject: Re: How do I utilize and take advantage of the EOC system?
PostPosted: December 29th, 2013, 2:39 pm 
Site Owner

RS Name: shane12088
In regards to rotations I use about 4 basic abilities to charge up adrenaline. The rest of my bar is filled with thresholds. Ultimates don't really make sense for lower levelled creatures since they take so much time to build up. Auto attack should really only be used if there's an ability that you must use and is a couple seconds away from cooldown. Most times just try to use a basic if waiting for something to come off cooldown.

Here's my slayer setup: http://rsbb.ca/e309
Missing items:
- Warpriest helmet (Slayer helmet is bad these days)
- Warpriest gauntlets
- Warpriest grieves
- Enhanced excalibur

It's a cheap setup but works quite well for most tasks. I can kill Iron dragons in it without using food :).

The style weaknesses add a little bit to your damage and accuracy but I've not found it noticeable unless the creature is really strong compared to yourself. So take for example a bloodveld that is weak against thrown weapons. The bloodvelds aren't really that strong to begin with, for something low levelled like that a bolt will work the same for you if you have upwards of 70 ranged (about).

With regards to the weapon loadout I do dual wielding when I want fast DPS and won't be getting hurt, primarily slayer tasks. Two-handed weapons when the high hits need to come in, primarily on quests for me. Shields seem to be designed for a tank type of play but most of the bosses out there seem to die quickest when everyone just unleashes damage. Shields might also be useful when fighting Dragons.

Momentum is a nice idea for Slayer but it's just too slow.

I'd suggest you also listen to our year in review podcast. We talked a bit about Evolution of Combat in 2013 and hit on some of your questions as to how it can be improved in the coming year. Link: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=85371

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2014, 9:02 pm 

RS Name: j1j2j3
You have decent melee stats, double handed weapons has been good at spiking damages. if you are fighting a monster that is somewhat more powerful, a sword/ shield combo can help you survive. do try to get some of the new abilities from the world event if you haven't already.

Do some of the quest for getting more skills. that will help you quite a bit.

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2014, 11:03 pm 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Firemana
Clan Name: Problem Solvers
Shane gave you about the best response regarding ability use.

Regarding Sword & Board, Dual, and 2-Hand: Dual wielding and Two-hand will always deal the same DPS if all the weapons are of the same tier. A level 70 mainhand + level 70 offhand will be the same as a level 70 two-hand. Both setups do 150% of mainhand damage(mainhand is 100%, offhand is 50%, two-hand is 150%). So in that regard it does not matter. Sword & Board(Sword and Shield) will always do less damage if equivalent tier, roughly 33% less damage. Unfortunately EOC has made shields mostly useless as far as I know. They are only useful against Dragons if you don't have 85 Herblore for Super antifires.
Before EOC I used Whip + DFS, now I usually use SGS unless I am fighting Dragons.
I've found shields are mainly useful when I need extra HP or for dragons as I mentioned above.

As for shield abilities, only ever have them on your bar if you're wearing a shield and plan on fighting with it. And then you probably only want basics to build adrenaline.

As for Momentum;
Whenever I do slayer I use it because it's just easier and, quite honestly, just as effective and just as fast as abilities. I have fought side-by-side with ability users and we kill things just as fast - using the same quality gear(sometimes same exact gear). In PVP I have fought ability users while using Momentum and won. In one case I was using the SGS and Momentum against an ability user with drygores, he won by ~100 HP.
If you do use Momentum, I would suggest a Two-handed weapon. Personally I don't like one-handed weapons anymore(stark contrast from my pre-EOC ways) because they just don't hit hard enough. Two-Hander + Momentum works well and can really take people by surprise. Not sure if you know this, but Momentum occasionally auto-uses some abilities. When it does this it does so immediately before a normal attack, essentially giving you two attacks in one game tick.

I'll say this:
While I prefer Momentum and Shane of course prefers the Ability system, both are equally effective on average. There are places where they each excel and where they each fail.
A Simple Rule wrote:
If the creature is a boss or likely to last more than a few hits(a demi-boss creature) then use the ability system.
If it is a normal creature or you have to kill many small creatures(such as Slayer and some special areas) then use Momentum.

Even though I don't often use abilities, I would suggest getting the ones from the WE merely because they are likely exclusive and you may want them later.

88th Dragon Member : Informer Writer : Content Crew : Chat Moderator ::
"If it ain't broke, dun fix it."