Post subject: IMPORTANT: *READ* Before Rating Fakes! (Updated Jan 15)
PostPosted: September 14th, 2006, 3:01 am 
Cleverly Disguised Spammer

RS Name: Piratesock
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: The Mushroom Pirate Federation
Hello.

It does appear that some people think that criticizing an artist's work gives them the right to be rude. It also appears that some artists like to think criticism is an attack on their artwork.

So because I'm nice and I like to see people's art, I'm going to let both artists and wannabe critics know how to take a critique and how to give good critique. I'll start with the artists.

Artists.

As an artist, you have the right to ask for constructive and/or harsh criticism. By doing so, you also have the right to assume that any comments you receive are unbiased to a person's taste, and are aimed at helping you improve your current work and/or future work.

By asking for criticism is is deemed appropriate to accept any criticism you have asked for, whether or not you agree with what has been said to you. A reply to criticism should not undermine the critic's opinion unless the critique given was inappropriate. (See Critic Section)

Criticism is given to help Artists improve their skills, and is an essential part of moving from beginner, to amateur, to expert. No-one can become a master of their arts on their own. It is, in my opinion, impossible to criticize your own art, as you should have tried your best.

As an artist who has asked for criticism. It is deemed inappropriate to snap at a critic who has given critique based on what you have asked for.

An example of an inappropriate reply to a critique is;

"Who are you to tell me what is bad about my Signature?"

Replies like the above get the critic and yourself worked up and may result in an argument. A result which neither of you have posted for.

An example on a decent way to reply to a critique that you do not agree with is as follows;

"Thank you for your criticism. However I don't think the suggestion of roses and fairies you have outlined to me, however useful, will help in portraying the feeling of despair in my signature. However I do agree that the text could need a new font and I shall choose a more readable one in future."

Critics.

As a Critic, you have the right to give a constructive and detailed critique to any artist who asks for it. You have the right to give an unbiased opinion on a piece of art unless the artist asks specifically for no criticism to be made.

As a critic you must ensure that all opinions given to an artist maintain a certain degree of politeness, after all - a critique is meant to help an artist, not to put them down.

Criticism is not just about what is bad about a piece of art. Focusing on the bad points makes the artist feel that they haven't done anything good, which may result in a reply like the example in the Artist section.

Is is deemed inappropriate to be rude and overly insultive about an artist's work. Most critics are artists themselves and so take care over what you say, someone may decide you're a "nasty piece of work" and give you a lovely detailed criticism much like the one you've just posted.

An example of an inappropriate critique is as follows;

"That's rubbish. You should just give up. The renders all blurred and the text is illegible. I've never seen anyone suck that badly. 0/10"

An example of a decent -constructive- critique is as follows;

"It's not bad, but it's not too good either. The colours work well together but you've overdone the blur on the render and you'll need to choose another font in future signatures as people won't be able to read that one clearly. Your Render, apart from being blurred, matches the background and the grunge effects work nicely in contrast to the Render's armour."

An example of a decent -harsh- critique is as follows;

"Okay, the render and the text aren't that good. The renders very blurred and the text is illegible. Your colour choice is alright but in future I wouldn't suggest using a turquoise coloured background as it doesn't look very nice on most web interfaces. I would also suggest another render next time as halo renders are over used and so your signature looks like many others. However your first signature shows promise and I hope to see you improve in future."

----------
And so that is all I have to say. I don't like having a "nasty piece of work" telling me that my art is "rubbish", and it winds me up. What also winds me up is when people reply to my critique tell me to "go away" because I don't know what I am talking about. I know I am not the only person who feels this way and so I've posted this.

So, what are you waiting for? Make that new Signature!

~Anubis

Reposted by CreepyPirate, originally posted by Anubis in Graphics Central.

Clear enough, he's talking about art but you can easily see how it fits with fakes. Any questions feel free to post. Everyone has to start somewere.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: September 14th, 2006, 3:01 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 14th, 2006, 1:24 pm 
Dragon Member

Quote:
Quote taken from graphics central, it's needed in here because jerks think being a critic gives them the right to insult other peoples work.

It doesn't?

If I remember correctly, you sometimes say, if you can't handle the criticism then don't post :?

Is therefore saying that unless the artist say's so, then we can't actually judge it?

What's the line between insulting and constructive criticism.... Because apart from a few extra words in the red text, basically it says a shorter version of the green text. Where as the green seems slightly sugar coated....

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 14th, 2006, 10:01 pm 

RS Name: Piratesock
Clan Name: The Mushroom Pirate Federation
Agent Waffles wrote:
Quote:
Quote taken from graphics central, it's needed in here because jerks think being a critic gives them the right to insult other peoples work.

It doesn't?

If I remember correctly, you sometimes say, if you can't handle the criticism then don't post :?

Is therefore saying that unless the artist say's so, then we can't actually judge it?

What's the line between insulting and constructive criticism.... Because apart from a few extra words in the red text, basically it says a shorter version of the green text. Where as the green seems slightly sugar coated....

Super Jerk!!

Don't act dumb. You're smart enough to know the difference between insultiing and criticising politely. Insulting their work because it's bad, is being a jerk, something i see a lot.

Anyway - if you still aren't sure i'll just warn you if i see you doing it, i'm sure you'll learn fast enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 20th, 2006, 1:56 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Kangas Khan
Clan Name: MaSoRs
Agent Waffles wrote:
Quote:

It doesn't?

To criticize effectively you have to chose your words carefully. Repeating that, in this case, the fake is "rubbish" in an area, and "rubbish" in another area, *will* rub the fake maker up the wrong way. And it *will* make you look like a jerk.

Yes, it's true, what I wrote in red and what I wrote in green do mean exactly the same things, but are worded differently, and therefore give a better impression of the person saying it, unless they're citing the red text ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 25th, 2006, 1:29 pm 
Dragon Member

RS Name: de4thm4ge411
RS Status: Classic
I would ALSO like to draw attention to a new bit of the rules added Sept. 23rd

TheRSBANDBRules wrote:
An unofficial warning will be issued if:
a. A post is said saying just x/10, with no critism.
b. A post is made with no critism OR rating.
c. A post is made just quoting another, with none of your own input.

An offical warning will be given if a post is made with no point except negativity, such as "This sucks", or "Ruined"

please note, these rules were put into affect FOR A REASON.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 15th, 2007, 7:36 pm 
Site Owner

RS Name: shane12088
Recently we've seen a rise in insulting others in this forum. This is not within the spirit of rsbandb. Any insulting in this forum from now on will be dealt with an official warning.

This has to stop!

If it does not stop we'll have to go another step further and lock the forum completely. This is not something we want to do but it will be done if the situation does not improve. This is already in the general rsbandb rules under the Graphics Central and Rating Media category, we'll just be looking for it more.

To reiterate, any insulting or trying to cause negativity towards a persons creation in this forum will result in an official warning.

Shane

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: January 15th, 2007, 7:36 pm 
Site Owner

Post subject: Re: IMPORTANT: *READ* Before Rating Fakes! (Updated Jan 15)
PostPosted: August 16th, 2010, 6:50 pm 
Mithril Member

RS Name: Gnomethorian
Clan Name: Rsbandb
i agree were all a big family we should not fight.

why can't we be friends?... why can't we be friends?

always look on the bright side of life...

Joined Rsbandb Fourms:February 25th, 2010, 3:30 pm
Check Out The Skill Of The Month: http://www.rsbandb.com/skill-of-the-month
My RuneWire: http://runewire.com/guthixrange

PostPosted: August 17th, 2010, 1:19 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Duke Juker
Clan Name: Clan Quest
Sometimes peoples sigs are so awfully designed there is no bright side to life visible for 1000 miles. xD

Only joking, of course, but realistically, if you are a going to make a sig and put it on the forums, then you are opening your sig to a world of criticism, both good and bad. Granted, there are always more positive things to say when giving criticism, so don't think you can get away with giving terrible reviews cause you won't. It's better to be constructive and give advice rather than destructive and detract from someone's ability.

82nd Dragon Member since 05/12/2010
RSBandB Member #517
Current Activities: Ports, Dailies/Monthlies, DXP
Skill Masteries: Firemaking, Cooking, Woodcutting, Fletching, Mining, Agility, Prayer, Smithing, Fishing, Summoning, Construction, Herblore, Hunter, Thieving, Crafting, Divination, Dungeoneering, Farming, Runecrafting, Slayer, Magic, Ranged, Defence, Constitution, Attack, Strength, Invention & 1st Max (3/9/19), Archaeology & 2nd Max (4/16/21), 200m Firemaking, Necromancy

PostPosted: August 17th, 2010, 4:41 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Ice Blk Drgn
RS Status: F2P
Clan Name: MaSoRs
WHY are you posting on a topic that is from 2006?! >_>

PostPosted: March 13th, 2011, 1:56 am 
Iron Member

RS Name: lnfectl0n
Clan Name: Team Eternity
You could make harsher punishments for insults?

ImageImageImageImageImage
Zerker.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage