Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: read only -___- ??!?
PostPosted: March 10th, 2012, 11:50 pm 
BANNED

RS Name: firering401
RS Status: F2P
I am having trouble with CDs on my Mac. I have recently backed up sensitive data to a CD. Now, when I put that CD into my Mac to update the backup, it says the CD is read only. I tried changing permissions from the "get info" section. I tried erasing and repairing the disk with disk utility....

I don't know what to do and this is extremely frustrating. I just want to be able to update my backups on the /writable/ CD..

Thanks for any help/suggestions offered.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: March 10th, 2012, 11:50 pm 
BANNED

Post subject: Re: read only -___- ??!?
PostPosted: March 11th, 2012, 1:09 am 
Site Owner

RS Name: mike12088
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: Bits and Bytes
Writable CDs/DVDs can only be written to once. After the data is on the CD, you can't change it. If it was written as a multi-track CD, you can add to the free space left, but you can't modify anything already existing on it.

Even with Rewritable (RW) CDs, the files can't be changed once written. You can only erase the entire CD to use it again.

CDs and DVDs store so little that it would probably be preferable to get an extra hard drive for your backups. Anything that's a pain to do like writing CDs is less likely to get done.

PostPosted: March 11th, 2012, 11:05 am 
BANNED

Mike wrote:
Writable CDs/DVDs can only be written to once. After the data is on the CD, you can't change it. If it was written as a multi-track CD, you can add to the free space left, but you can't modify anything already existing on it.

Even with Rewritable (RW) CDs, the files can't be changed once written. You can only erase the entire CD to use it again.

CDs and DVDs store so little that it would probably be preferable to get an extra hard drive for your backups. Anything that's a pain to do like writing CDs is less likely to get done.

This one was 700Mb. And I wasn't given the option to erase it (disk utility had the option *greyed out*)..

And my data backup only took up 30mb (documents, password system, crap I need).. I was putting it on a CD so I can store them in various locations in case of data loss on my primary machine.

I found some "circut city compact disk recordable" disks in the storage room so I figured I would put them to use (I remember cleaning those up and putting them there when I was in 4th grade, I'm in 11th now)

PostPosted: March 11th, 2012, 12:04 pm 
Dragon Member

RS Name: Evalithia
You're better off backing up with a flash stick or an external HDD. I'm not too quite sure how CDs (and maybe DVDs) are any useful in 2012.

PostPosted: March 11th, 2012, 2:31 pm 
BANNED

Cliff Dude wrote:
You're better off backing up with a flash stick or an external HDD. I'm not too quite sure how CDs (and maybe DVDs) are any useful in 2012.

I know bro, I was trying to put the big stack of them sitting on a 1960 bookshelf to use...

Bad idea I guess?

PostPosted: March 11th, 2012, 6:06 pm 

RS Name: Silverwiz9
Clan Name: RsbandbStaff
Firering401 wrote:
This one was 700Mb. And I wasn't given the option to erase it (disk utility had the option *greyed out*)..

And my data backup only took up 30mb (documents, password system, crap I need).. I was putting it on a CD so I can store them in various locations in case of data loss on my primary machine.

I found some "circut city compact disk recordable" disks in the storage room so I figured I would put them to use (I remember cleaning those up and putting them there when I was in 4th grade, I'm in 11th now)

A fake amount of money goes to the bet that those were CD-R media, and as Mike said, they're basically write-to-once. The 'compact disk recordable' also likely refers to the CD-R nature of the media, so unfortunately you're out of luck for adding more information. If they still work, there's no use throwing them out.. Maybe keep them around for non-critical tasks, such as installing a Linux distro to an older computer that can't boot from USB, or burning time-sensitive anti-malware scanning solutions.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: March 11th, 2012, 6:06 pm