Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Youtube HTML5 issues
PostPosted: December 22nd, 2011, 2:04 pm 
BANNED

RS Name: firering401
RS Status: F2P
Ok; I'm through with it. Flash has got to go.

I have opted in to Youtube's HTML5 option. But the problem is; half the videos I want to watch don't work. I am using chrome on a Mac. I disable flash via browser plugins and half my videos stop working.

I have an ad blocking hosts file; but I'm not sure that makes a difference (If i cared about /anything/ the preroll ads had to say, I would use Fedora where there is no ad blocking hosts file).

Thanks for your help; I really appreciate it.

P.S - I thought I would use this forum instead of sending Shane a message with every Mac issue I have :/

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: December 22nd, 2011, 2:04 pm 
BANNED

Post subject: Re: Youtube HTML5 issues
PostPosted: December 22nd, 2011, 2:10 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Dothal Detra
Clan Name: Irenic
Buy build a PC.

But seriously, I'd suggest uninstalling flash and chrome entirely, and then re install just chrome. I've run my windows system for almost a year so far without having flash installed. The only thing I can't do is watch game trailers through steam, since steam does not have HTML5 built in, but I can live without that.

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2011, 3:15 pm 
BANNED

Thomas wrote:
Buy build a PC.

But seriously, I'd suggest uninstalling flash and chrome entirely, and then re install just chrome. I've run my windows system for almost a year so far without having flash installed. The only thing I can't do is watch game trailers through steam, since steam does not have HTML5 built in, but I can live without that.

-_- I don't want to get into the windows/mac debate

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2011, 8:11 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Dothal Detra
Clan Name: Irenic
Firering401 wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Buy build a PC.

PC= personal computer. It doesn't imply windows.

I gave you a legitimate answer after that, did you even try what I suggested? I have a couple other things you could try, seeing as my family members have macs, but that is the simplest and most likely solution.

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2011, 9:56 pm 
BANNED

Thomas wrote:
Firering401 wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Buy build a PC.

PC= personal computer. It doesn't imply windows.

I gave you a legitimate answer after that, did you even try what I suggested? I have a couple other things you could try, seeing as my family members have macs, but that is the simplest and most likely solution.

I don't have flash installed, flash is in the sandboxed version of chrome.. Meaning it will only work in Chrome unless installed elseware. And the fact of the matter is (some) videos work with flash disabled and (most) do not work with it disabled.

It's fine - I can enable the plugin when I want to use youtube and disable it every other time.

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2011, 11:17 pm 
Site Owner

RS Name: mike12088
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: Bits and Bytes
It's possible the video you are trying to watch is supposed to have an ad before it. Ads always play in flash, so if you don't have flash, you simply can't watch that video. For example, you can't watch anything on a VEVO channel, which is basically all official music videos.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: December 22nd, 2011, 11:17 pm 
Site Owner

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2011, 10:01 am 
BANNED

Mike wrote:
It's possible the video you are trying to watch is supposed to have an ad before it. Ads always play in flash, so if you don't have flash, you simply can't watch that video. For example, you can't watch anything on a VEVO channel, which is basically all official music videos.

-_- That might be why. My host file seems to kill the ads before the video (I'm not sure what server address it's supposed to be blocking, that's why it's so large).

Thank you Mike