Post subject: Mod Reach Fired By Jagex
PostPosted: April 21st, 2015, 4:22 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Magicking
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: Clan Quest
Statement by Mod Mat K is here.

Quote:
It is with regret that we have some sad and unfortunate news to share with you. Today, Mod Reach was dismissed from employment at Jagex, following an investigation into serious misuse of moderator privileges. This was flagged to us by system checks which track and log code changes made to the live game. We were able to intercept the intended changes before anything could impact the game economy.
While staff changes are not something we tend to share so publically, when both the integrity of the game and the team are put at risk we felt duty bound to make the community aware of what has happened.
Obviously this unexpected news means we need some time to collect our thoughts and formulate plans for future projects. Once we have pulled all of this together we will of course share and discuss this with the community. Due to the sensitivities of the situation we are not going to be able to give any more detail at this time.
We are determined to ensure Mod Reach’s departure does not detract from the great start to the year we have had. We want both the team and community to go from strength to strength and to take Old School RuneScape forward onto bigger and better things for many years to come.
Thank you for your ongoing support.
The Old School Team

With this happening, Mod Ash is the only content developer for Old School. Never thought I'd have to submit something like this.

Edit: This may be what Reach was fired for.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: April 21st, 2015, 4:22 pm 
Runite Member

Post subject: Re: Mod Reach Fired By Jagex
PostPosted: April 21st, 2015, 10:40 pm 

RS Name: j1j2j3
he changed some codes on ruby bolts to do more damage?

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2015, 7:40 am 
Runite Member

Possibly. There was a bug at a boss a few days ago where you could become invincible, but it was said that he had nothing to do with that. Why he did it (if he did), I have no clue.

PostPosted: May 8th, 2015, 1:37 pm 
Adamantite Member

RS Name: Its Arceus
RS Status: F2P
Interesting, I had not seen that Tweet before. Always good to check out other sources...I wonder if the Corp invincibility bug genuinely had nothing to do with it. I'd like to believe that, but some people seem to adamantly insist on a correlation. I guess Jagex is unlikely to release further information at this point, but it would be nice to hear the full reason eventually.

PostPosted: May 19th, 2015, 11:58 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Duke Juker
I think it's very odd they would publicize that. I mean, he's just a grunt like anyone else who works there, not the CEO. I don't think its a appropriate to "name and shame." So what, the guy did something bad. Fire him and move on. Not like you have to go share it with the world regardless of what it is. Wouldn't you not want to disclose the reasons for firing an employee with the public?

I think the better question is why do mods have such power to change the live game at will whenever they feel like. Not saying what Reach did was right or acceptable, but it seems like Jagex is covering their *** for giving such broad control over to mods.

I know we expect people like that to follow the rules and use the honor system, but this is just a game we are talking about. It's not unthinkable that Jagex mods are incapable of essentially "cheating" if given the means to do so.

82nd Dragon Member since 05/12/2010
RSBandB Member #517
Current Activities: Ports, Dailies/Monthlies, DXP
Skill Masteries: Firemaking, Cooking, Woodcutting, Fletching, Mining, Agility, Prayer, Smithing, Fishing, Summoning, Construction, Herblore, Hunter, Thieving, Crafting, Divination, Dungeoneering, Farming, Runecrafting, Slayer, Magic, Ranged, Defence, Constitution, Attack, Strength, Invention & 1st Max (3/9/19), Archaeology & 2nd Max (4/16/21), 200m Firemaking, Necromancy

PostPosted: May 21st, 2015, 5:09 pm 
Runite Member

Duke Juker wrote:
I think it's very odd they would publicize that. I mean, he's just a grunt like anyone else who works there, not the CEO. I don't think its a appropriate to "name and shame." So what, the guy did something bad. Fire him and move on. Not like you have to go share it with the world regardless of what it is. Wouldn't you not want to disclose the reasons for firing an employee with the public?

I think the better question is why do mods have such power to change the live game at will whenever they feel like. Not saying what Reach did was right or acceptable, but it seems like Jagex is covering their *** for giving such broad control over to mods.

I know we expect people like that to follow the rules and use the honor system, but this is just a game we are talking about. It's not unthinkable that Jagex mods are incapable of essentially "cheating" if given the means to do so.

Normally I'd agree, BUT Reach wasn't a "grunt," he was one of two developers for Old School, a community that likes to know exactly what's going with their community-driven updates. If 50% of the development team is gone, it needs to be announced. They knew people would want to know why, so they released as much info as they thought was necessary.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: May 21st, 2015, 5:09 pm 
Runite Member

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2015, 12:58 pm 
Adamantite Member

RS Name: Its Arceus
RS Status: F2P
You have to let someone have powers to edit things, of course...otherwise what's the alternative, have someone rubberstamp? Then that person might go do something fishy...

PostPosted: October 1st, 2016, 3:34 pm 
Bronze Member

RS Status: Old School (2007)
****, do they have plans on replacing him?