Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Social Media 2014 - What do you use?
PostPosted: November 15th, 2014, 7:07 pm 
Site Owner

RS Name: shane12088
RS Status: P2P
What do you use? Throw it all out there, I'm curious to see what's used. You don't need to state handles if you want to preserve privacy.

Also tell me what you use it for. That's probably the more interesting side of things.

Twitter - news source tailored to me.
Digg - popular stories online and in my twitter feed.

Examples of things you can say:
- Facebook
- Twitter
- Google+
- Youtube
- app.net
- Vine
- Snapchat
- Instagram
- Digg
- Reddit
- and others...

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: November 15th, 2014, 7:07 pm 
Site Owner

Post subject: Re: Social Media 2014 - What do you use?
PostPosted: November 15th, 2014, 8:01 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Bryan Tran
Clan Name: W22 Farming
Twitter, every day. Proudly have not missed a single tweet since http://techcrunch.com/2011/05/25/twitte ... out-the-power-users/
Facebook because I have to.
Reddit/YouTube once a week to catch up.
G+ use is rising relative to my sudden stop back in 2012. As for G+ services (if you count location sharing, pics backup), it runs in realtime, 24/7 on my phone.

PostPosted: November 15th, 2014, 9:10 pm 
Dragon Member

RS Name: Evalithia
  • Facebook. I don't "actively" use it. As in, I don't rapid-fire status updates. I might post something interesting once a week or so. I just leave it in a tab and check it every few hours to see what my friends have to say. Along with that, it's a good chat platform with my friends.
  • G+. I have an account which I put some basic info in but I don't use it at all.
  • YouTube. I have a channel where I upload random clips from my video game sessions. Mostly silly things in World of Tanks. I mostly use YouTube for music. I have a rather large playlist of Touhou songs. I'm also subscribed to this cute cartoon about WoT.
  • Snapchat. I use it to share pictures of my food to my food-fanatic friend, otherwise I usually just receive my friends' snaps.
  • Reddit. Reddit is big for me. I don't comment much in huge threads, unless I have something particularly clever to say. Otherwise I hang around in specific game subreddits like r/worldoftanks. I'm also subscribed to other things that I'm interested in or part of such as r/CAD, r/goth, or r/engineering. I have a secondary account for posting in more personal subreddits.

Others
  • Twitch. Normally I just stream because I want my friends to see something cool, or if a friend was interested in getting a game and I'd demo it through my stream for them. I usually don't stream just because. There are a couple streams that I tune in every once in a while.
  • last.fm. "What music do you like?" *pastes last.fm profile* It's also a better radio than Pandora and Spotify IMO, at least in terms of similar music selections.
  • Steam. Not sure if this is social media enough but with all the community features, I'd say it is. Shane, y u no add me on steam :(

That's pretty much it. My website right now just exists to serve my minecraft server's maps, as I'm still not sure what I really want to do with the space. At this point, social media exists more to just provide me with curated information, less as a location for me to submit content, but that may change soon.

PostPosted: November 16th, 2014, 8:36 am 
Community Ambassador

RS Name: Lord Rickles
Facebook - To stay in touch with people out of state and family I won't normally just pick up a phone to talk to. I also keep up with local businesses and companies I like.
Youtube - For product reviews, how to videos, mindless gaming stuff and personalities I like to subscribe to because I enjoy watching them
Reddit - A major source of information and updates on certain things I'm interested in. It's like a forum of everything I like all wrapped into one site. I love its simple format and how it aggregates top links. It just makes sense.
Twitter - I rarely use it, but if I do it is to keep up with up to the minute releases of something or when something time sensitive I'm interested in is going to happen soon.

PostPosted: November 16th, 2014, 11:13 am 

RS Name: j1j2j3
I youtube a lot.

Redditt when i am bored. Which many time
Linkedin for more professional information.

Facebook never

PostPosted: November 16th, 2014, 2:28 pm 
BANNED

RS Name: Ty ler
Clan Name: RSW
Facebook - this is the one that I probably rely on most
Twitter - occasional usage, I like to live-tweet events mostly
tumblr - occasional usage, I like to use it to archive quotes + gifs that I like
Snapchat - frequent usage, mostly to chronicle drunken adventures :)
Instagram - have one, but don't use it
Reddit - use it as my news aggregate

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: November 16th, 2014, 2:28 pm 
BANNED

PostPosted: November 17th, 2014, 2:20 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: blethorskite
Clan Name: Fealty Stars
I was going to say nothing but then realised that isn't the case, though these might not fit neatly into social media:

Steam

Raptr

ImageImage

PostPosted: November 17th, 2014, 3:32 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Jade Gizmo
Clan Name: Pawscape
Facebook -

This is the most convenient way to stay in touch with friends who are attending college all over this country. Friend's who are from other countries, and to a lesser extent... family.
It's also a way to get out of jokes and puns. To make everyone either happy or annoyed.

Twitter -

I only use this to follow a few actors and athletes and a few others.
No big mainstream people, I don't really care about what's going on it Depp's or Pitt's life.
Also a few bands/musicians as well.

Twitch -

I only watch a few streamers.
1 youtubers , 1 professional gamer, and my personal friend who recently took to Twitch. It's..
Not something I do a ton, halfly just for support.

Youtube/Google+ -

Well I've been making videos for over 7 years now, but don't use either for really any social means.

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2014, 7:46 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Duke Juker
Clan Name: Clan Quest
Facebook - Usual keeping track of friends.

Youtube - Watching videos.

Linkedin - Work related information about myself and keeping track of work contacts.

82nd Dragon Member since 05/12/2010
RSBandB Member #517
Current Activities: Ports, Dailies/Monthlies, DXP
Skill Masteries: Firemaking, Cooking, Woodcutting, Fletching, Mining, Agility, Prayer, Smithing, Fishing, Summoning, Construction, Herblore, Hunter, Thieving, Crafting, Divination, Dungeoneering, Farming, Runecrafting, Slayer, Magic, Ranged, Defence, Constitution, Attack, Strength, Invention & 1st Max (3/9/19), Archaeology & 2nd Max (4/16/21), 200m Firemaking, Necromancy