Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: College Schedules: How Helpful..?
PostPosted: July 21st, 2014, 9:59 am 
Runite Member

RS Name: Magicking
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: Clan Quest
I just recently received my Freshman schedule, and I was in for a bit of a surprise. I'm majoring in Computer Science in a very tech-based school, and two of my first classes I'm taking are "Introduction to Moral Issues" and "American Politics". I'm not sure if those are supposed to be together as a very subtle dark joke, but they feel a little out of place compared to the rest of my schedule. Have any of you had events like this with your college schedules?

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: July 21st, 2014, 9:59 am 
Runite Member

Post subject: Re: College Schedules: How Helpful..?
PostPosted: July 21st, 2014, 10:08 am 
Dragon Member

RS Name: Punisher1288
Clan Name: The Cookie Armada
Get used them them, at my school they were called humanities. My last semester of undergraduate, I had to take theater appreciation. I was a public safety major and didn't mind theater appreciation but it had nothing to do with my major and not to mention a 4 mile bike ride from my apartment. When you get to campus you'll want to go see your adviser, if you haven't been assigned one make sure you do that first. FIND OUT WHO YOUR ACADEMIC ADVISER IS. They will be able to give you a list of all non-core classes. Hope this helps!!

For my B.S. I had to have like 12 credit hours of humanities classes I believe.
I took some of these-
-Theater appreciation
-Astronomy (Funnest college class ever!)
-Moral issues of the late 19th century
-Business ethics of the late 19th century

As you can see non of them had to do with my major, but I can write term paper after term paper of the world scene in the late 19th century... =D>

*Member #514*
*Rsbandb Donor*

PostPosted: July 21st, 2014, 10:14 am 
Runite Member

American Politics I won't mind at all; I was always the guy who stayed updated on everything that was going on throughout high school. I guess Moral Issues can easily go with anything related to politics, so it isn't going to be unbearable. The only thing I didn't like was that maths placements were based off of test scores, so even though I've done 2 years of Calculus, I've been thrown back into Pre-Calc.

PostPosted: July 21st, 2014, 10:19 am 
Dragon Member

Every college is different but at mine we were able to challenge math classes even if we tested into them. Usually the first class meeting the professor will give the final and if you pass you get to meet with them and discuss moving up to the next level of math. Ask your adviser if this is the case for your college.

*Member #514*
*Rsbandb Donor*

PostPosted: July 21st, 2014, 10:29 am 
Dragon Member

RS Name: Evalithia
Those are probably "general education" or gened classes. Every major takes them and most students feel like they're a waste of time. I managed to get gened transfer credits from a community college over the summer. The classes are easier at a community college. Talk to your counselor and see what options you have.

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2014, 4:16 pm 
Site Owner

RS Name: shane12088
Those are part of the new brainwashing program for all higher education students. I personally wouldn't be surprised if those classes are highly biased and slanted. It's quite frankly disgusting what goes on in most (not all) universities these days that is perceived to be intelligent discourse. The number one thing that I can suggest for any class that is not based on pure science is to approach it with a logical and objective mind. Don't accept what is said as the pure truth. If something sounds wrong, research it on your own.

As for me no. Nothing like that was forced onto me. The only unfair thing was for science majors needing to take a large number of arts credits while the arts majors were not required to take science based courses...

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: July 22nd, 2014, 4:16 pm 
Site Owner

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2014, 4:23 pm 
Runite Member

Hah, I sure hope I don't end up being forced to take large amounts of arts courses. I've every taken every "fact" with a grain of salt in high school since most teachers only talk about one side (AP US History is a perfect example of this). Obviously in an American course it's going to be prevalent because, well, I'm in America and we aren't exactly going to talk about anything negative that we've ever done...

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2014, 4:11 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Imperialias
They are most likely your Gen. Ed. classes, like most here have advised already. At my college, I was required to take two humanities class. "Humanities", however, can cover a very broad range of classes, varying from college to college. You would have to look at your college's specific education/graduation requirements in order to determine what kind of classes these are.

Also, take it upon yourself to not completely rely on counselors. Educate yourself about your education: research your classes, know what they cover requirement wise, are you getting any future pre-reqs completed?, PLAN AHEAD! I cannot stress how important this is. I've seen so many fellow students get through a year or two of college, and then not have requirements done, and then they delay themselves in the long run.

Keep continuing on with your "grain of salt" method. Even in college there is bias: don't just accept, but question.

Good luck in your college endeavors, I am still in mine as well! :wink:

PostPosted: July 24th, 2014, 8:12 am 
Runite Member

RS Name: Pennstate315
Looks like i'm in the same boat as you MageGuy. I'm going to be an incoming freshman this year as well, and I appear to have some interesting courses as well. Classes like "Theater Appreciation" and what not.

Black Member 2-6-10

PostPosted: July 24th, 2014, 8:28 pm 

RS Name: j1j2j3
Shane wrote:
Those are part of the new brainwashing program for all higher education students. I personally wouldn't be surprised if those classes are highly biased and slanted. It's quite frankly disgusting what goes on in most (not all) universities these days that is perceived to be intelligent discourse. The number one thing that I can suggest for any class that is not based on pure science is to approach it with a logical and objective mind. Don't accept what is said as the pure truth. If something sounds wrong, research it on your own.

As for me no. Nothing like that was forced onto me. The only unfair thing was for science majors needing to take a large number of arts credits while the arts majors were not required to take science based courses...

and shane I bet you never spoke up about it either and challenge their thinking thus allowing them to continue.

Those classes are very take once and blow it all out of your brain later on. I took asian american studies which knocks out a good chuck of Core GEs, but the class was very much a how civil rights in the U.S changed throughout history.
My only advice, never ever EVER have an 8 AM class. You will regret it.

PostPosted: July 24th, 2014, 9:34 pm 
Runite Member

trekkie wrote:

It really sucks being a freshman; you don't quite get to pick when you have some of those classes! Naturally my only 8 AM class is Calculus. Shoot me.

PostPosted: July 24th, 2014, 9:59 pm 
Dragon Member

RS Name: Evalithia
trekkie wrote:

8AM classes are terrible, always try to see what you can move in your schedule so you won't have to endure a semester (or more!) of 8AM classes.

I had a semester where my first class was at 11AM. That was the best semester ever.

PostPosted: July 24th, 2014, 10:30 pm 
Runite Member

Calc is 8 AM on Tuesday/Thursday, otherwise my first class is at 11. Honestly, I can't complain about it, the timing works out well in the end.

PostPosted: July 25th, 2014, 6:34 pm 

RS Name: j1j2j3
you say that NOW! but when you have to pull an a late night to finish that one project, you'll understand me.

PostPosted: July 25th, 2014, 6:52 pm 
Dragon Member

trekkie wrote:
you say that NOW! but when you have to pull an a late night to finish that one project, you'll understand me.

Give him a few semesters when he starts struggling to make the noon lecture on time he'll understand the struggle.

*Member #514*
*Rsbandb Donor*