Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: yall thought Target was bad
PostPosted: January 20th, 2014, 4:45 pm 

RS Name: j1j2j3
RS Status: P2P
Credit card details on 20 million South Koreans stolen

Credit card details from almost half of all South Koreans have been stolen and sold to marketing firms.

The data was stolen by a computer contractor working for a company called the Korea Credit Bureau that produces credit scores.

The names, social security numbers and credit card details of 20 million South Koreans were copied by the IT worker.

The scale of the theft became apparent after the contractor at the centre of the breach was arrested.
Unprotected data

Managers at the marketing firms which allegedly bought the data were also arrested.

Early reports suggest that the contractor got hold of the giant trove of data thanks to the access Korea Credit Bureau enjoys to databases run by three big South Korean credit card firms. The contractor stole the data by copying it to a USB stick.

Regulators are now looking into security measures at the three firms - KB Kookmin Card, Lotte Card, and NH Nonghyup Card - to ensure data stays safe. A task force has been set up to investigate the impact of the theft.

The three bosses of the credit card firms involved made a public apology for the breach.

In a statement the Financial Services Commission, Korea's national financial regulator, said: "The credit card firms will cover any financial losses caused to their customers due to the latest accident."

Another official at the FSC said the data was easy to steal because it was unencrypted and the credit card firms did not know it had been copied until investigators told them about the theft.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25808189

We should just go back to the barter system.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: January 20th, 2014, 4:45 pm 

Post subject: Re: yall thought Target was bad
PostPosted: January 20th, 2014, 7:52 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Duke Juker
Clan Name: Clan Quest
Cash will always be king...because of crap like that.

82nd Dragon Member since 05/12/2010
RSBandB Member #517
Current Activities: Ports, Dailies/Monthlies, DXP
Skill Masteries: Firemaking, Cooking, Woodcutting, Fletching, Mining, Agility, Prayer, Smithing, Fishing, Summoning, Construction, Herblore, Hunter, Thieving, Crafting, Divination, Dungeoneering, Farming, Runecrafting, Slayer, Magic, Ranged, Defence, Constitution, Attack, Strength, Invention & 1st Max (3/9/19), Archaeology & 2nd Max (4/16/21), 200m Firemaking, Necromancy

PostPosted: January 21st, 2014, 9:52 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Jade Gizmo
Clan Name: Pawscape
I made a in store purchase at Target with my debit card a week before the breach happen, so I was safe from that hassle, my mother on the other hand wasn't as lucky as I. :P

But half of all South Koreans, that's crazy.
I much prefer to use cash in stores.. even though half of my shopping is online, I get paranoid when it comes to my bank/finances stuff.

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2014, 12:32 am 

RS Name: j1j2j3
It has always been the recommendation for many banks or high security places to only use a credit card rather than a debit.
a credit card offers more financial protection than a debit card does. if a person gets a hold of your debit card and possible your pin, it is possible for them to drain your account before you realized it happen.
Also since your debit is linked to your checking account, any illegal activity can have greater harm to your own personnel money.

Also, many credit cards do have some small rewards program, where many debits card have nothing. although it is very small, getting something back for the things you buy does help.
However, also keep in mind that while debit cards usually have no interest rate (if you do not have money you just pay a fine depending on your bank), credit cards do and they can increase very quickly. So, always always try to pay off all of your monthly statement, otherwise be prepared for a huge slap in the face when asked to give them more money.