Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: George Zimmerman *Not Guilty*
PostPosted: July 13th, 2013, 7:04 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Jade Gizmo
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: Pawscape
Been following this for a year.
Verdict just came in.
Not Guilty.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: July 13th, 2013, 7:04 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

Post subject: Re: George Zimmerman *Not Guilty*
PostPosted: July 13th, 2013, 7:46 pm 

RS Name: j1j2j3
so i take it the jury ruled in self defense?

PostPosted: July 13th, 2013, 7:54 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

I apologize for the fast, lazy thread starter.
Verdict literally had just hit and wanted to post the result. In hopes to turn it into a discussion later.

Well, first degree murder was never a thing. Most he was charged with was 2nd Degree.
I've been waiting the entire 17 hours of jury deliberation for this moment, taken for the last two days.

They were looking for a manslaughter charge, the jury was looking for a clearer definition of that, which is why I was shocked when the verdict came back not guilty.

(I wont say what side I'm on, if I'm even on one really...) A person did lose their life, rather he was a good or bad kid.

But people don't seem to get how the justice system works.
Proven beyond a reasonable doubt...
Wasn't a question if he killed Martin or not, but the prosecution didn't prove that it wasn't in self defense.

PostPosted: July 13th, 2013, 8:02 pm 

RS Name: j1j2j3
well i never believed he would be 1st. I knew the verdict would had been if he could be found to be in self defense.

problem was it his word vs martins.

He did break procedure and should have listened to the operator when he called 911.

and we all knew he killed martin; he admitted it and there's more than enough evidence to prove it. the whole point of the trail in my mind was if it was a manslaughter charge.

PostPosted: July 14th, 2013, 8:32 pm 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Firemana
Clan Name: Problem Solvers
So it seems that some people aren't very happy with that fact that Zimmerman was found not guilty. While he didn't make the best choices, he was legal in his actions and in defending himself.

These protesters need to be put away or dealt with in some way.
http://www.examiner.com/article/trayvon ... e-use-rubber-bullets
Quote:
An updated tweet said LAPD officers surrounded the protesters and used rubber bullets against them.

Oh yes, let's use rubber bullets against them. Pew pew!

88th Dragon Member : Informer Writer : Content Crew : Chat Moderator ::
"If it ain't broke, dun fix it."

PostPosted: July 14th, 2013, 11:21 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Duke Juker
Clan Name: Clan Quest
It's not that the jury ruled for self-defense. Self-defense was just the reason given by Zimmerman for why he killed Trayvon. But the burden was on the state prosecutors to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the death of Trayvon " ...was caused by a criminal act “demonstrating a depraved mind without regard for human life." (Source)

As per the verdict, the jurors doubted that Zimmerman committed the killing in a manner consistent with second degree murder. Therefore, he was found not guilty of the charge.

Sunset, although the jury did ask for clarification, the court said it couldn't provide an answer based on a general question, but only specifics. The jury never responded back with a specific question. In context of how the verdict came out, I'd say all the jurors had doubt on the second degree murder charge and most were looking to decide not guilty. The question may have arisen from just one person holding out wanting the group to consider manslaughter. In the end, I think they just wanted to address the single charge that the state brought forward rather than help the prosecutors.

Personally, I think the jurors made the right call. Zimmerman did not murder Trayvon. Both of them acted wrongly. Zimmerman probably shouldn't have tailed Trayvon and Trayvon probably shouldn't have gone and confronted Zimmerman. At the end of the day, Trayvon is dead. There is no perfect justice to resolve this situation.

Of course, this isn't over. There could still be a civil trial just like in the OJ Simpson case and federal civil rights charges. It ain't over until it's over. But in terms of this part of the case, the right decision was made.

82nd Dragon Member since 05/12/2010
RSBandB Member #517
Current Activities: Ports, Dailies/Monthlies, DXP
Skill Masteries: Firemaking, Cooking, Woodcutting, Fletching, Mining, Agility, Prayer, Smithing, Fishing, Summoning, Construction, Herblore, Hunter, Thieving, Crafting, Divination, Dungeoneering, Farming, Runecrafting, Slayer, Magic, Ranged, Defence, Constitution, Attack, Strength, Invention & 1st Max (3/9/19), Archaeology & 2nd Max (4/16/21), 200m Firemaking, Necromancy

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: July 14th, 2013, 11:21 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

PostPosted: July 15th, 2013, 6:43 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

Well...
justifiable homicide is still a homicide.

Zimmerman can apply for immunity from the probable civil suites.

The system may be flawed but it's always been flawed so in a way it did it's job.
It may yet be over.

Either the "race war" will continue to be dragged out by racists who claim it's the other people who are the racists or Zimmerman will just vanished, rarely heard from again and forgotten a few months down the line like Casey Anthony.

PostPosted: July 19th, 2013, 10:20 am 
Dragon Member

RS Name: Punisher1288
Clan Name: The Cookie Armada
Might be a law student just i'll just give my bit of logic on this case. The only thing this case proves is if i follow any of you home in the dark and confront you and start to fight you and at any point in the fight that i have started you gain the upper hand i can legally shoot you as i feared for my life. Tons of problems with the jury and a very weak, unemotional case presented by the prosecution. I've given better closing arguments when waiting for my food at Taco-Bell at 3am while i explain to their staff why it shouldn't take this long.

*Member #514*
*Rsbandb Donor*

PostPosted: July 19th, 2013, 12:34 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Duke Juker
Kyle wrote:
Might be a law student just i'll just give my bit of logic on this case. The only thing this case proves is if i follow any of you home in the dark and confront you and start to fight you and at any point in the fight that i have started you gain the upper hand i can legally shoot you as i feared for my life. Tons of problems with the jury and a very weak, unemotional case presented by the prosecution. I've given better closing arguments when waiting for my food at Taco-Bell at 3am while i explain to their staff why it shouldn't take this long.

Don't forget that there has to be no witnesses around and you'd probably have to be in the state of Florida. Cases are specific to the situation, not universally applicable. If someone had seen the two confront each other and who threw the first fist, that probably would have changed things.

The fact of the matter is that there was reasonable doubt that it was murder. That doesn't mean what he did was ok or right, just that murder couldn't be proven.

Well, Taco Bell is a little different from a murder trial. I think they did a poor job, too, but it ain't exactly something any random person off the street can do. I don't think it was as much presentation of the case as it was the fact they overcharged him. I could have gone for manslaughter, but murder is a bit high given the doubt and not much witness observation testimony.

82nd Dragon Member since 05/12/2010
RSBandB Member #517
Current Activities: Ports, Dailies/Monthlies, DXP
Skill Masteries: Firemaking, Cooking, Woodcutting, Fletching, Mining, Agility, Prayer, Smithing, Fishing, Summoning, Construction, Herblore, Hunter, Thieving, Crafting, Divination, Dungeoneering, Farming, Runecrafting, Slayer, Magic, Ranged, Defence, Constitution, Attack, Strength, Invention & 1st Max (3/9/19), Archaeology & 2nd Max (4/16/21), 200m Firemaking, Necromancy

PostPosted: July 19th, 2013, 12:53 pm 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Firemana
Clan Name: Problem Solvers
From what I have read and heard, Zimmerman did not spend a week stalking Martin. He noticed him acting suspicious that night so he followed him while calling the police. The operator told him he 'didn't need to do that'. Being on the neighborhood watch, yes he did need to keep an eye out for suspicious people. According to the law books, no, he did not need to.

I believe Martin began assaulting Zimmerman when Zimmerman confronted Martin. Martin could have explained his legal reason for doing whatever he was doing, or he could attack to avoid getting caught for whatever illegal thing he was attempting to do. Zimmerman used his legal gun and legal right to defend himself.

Truth is no one but Zimmerman knows what happened and one side will of course fully believe him where as the other side will do everything they can to prove him wrong.

88th Dragon Member : Informer Writer : Content Crew : Chat Moderator ::
"If it ain't broke, dun fix it."

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2013, 1:14 am 

RS Name: Lord Earth
The prosecution, as Duke said, was not able to prove beyond reasonable doubt that he did it. The case was presented, and he came back not guilty. That's how the judicial system here works, and I think that that is fair.

Whether or not he is guilty doesn't really matter anyway. A person is still dead.

Tragedy :(

Global Moderator since August 25, 2014 18:30:29

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2013, 9:55 am 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Uncle Dano
Clan Name: Knights of Honour
Earth wrote:
The prosecution, as Duke said, was not able to prove beyond reasonable doubt that he did it. The case was presented, and he came back not guilty. That's how the judicial system here works, and I think that that is fair.

Whether or not he is guilty doesn't really matter anyway. A person is still dead.

Tragedy :(

Yes, indeed it is a tragedy. And, these "tragedies" are far too common in the good old U. S. of A. Crime and violence are things that should not be as common as they are.

Web: Uncle Dano's RS Wiki | RS Hiscores: Uncle Dano