Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sally Ride and Defence of Marriage Act.
PostPosted: June 11th, 2013, 10:06 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Killjoy4eva
RS Status: Old School (2007)
New York Times wrote:
Sally Ride, who died on Monday, can help put a face to a national problem.

She was the first American woman and the youngest American ever to travel in space—the kind of accomplishment that automatically gets you the label of “inspiration for generations of young Americans” and an obit in The Times. But Ms. Ride did a lot more than just make her landmark space flight in 1983 (and a second one later on). She served on the commission that investigated the Challenger explosion, as well on the commission for the Columbia accident. And she formed a company, Sally Ride Science, to promote science education among young people.

What’s less well known is that Ms. Ride was ***. Family and friends were aware of her 27-year relationship with Tam O’Shaughnessy, but the wider public was not. I bring up this personal detail because, as numerous people on the Web and Twitter have pointed out, Ms. O’Shaughnessy is not entitled to any federal benefits. (She probably doesn’t need the money, but that’s beside the point.)

The Defense of Marriage Act, which was signed into law by President Bill Clinton, denies federal survivors’ benefits to same-sex couples. President Obama, who has come out in support of same-sex marriage, stopped defending the law in court after his Justice Department concluded that it was unconstitutional. But the Republican leadership in Congress has retained its own lawyers to keep pressing the legal case.

Ms. Ride was not a public advocate for *** rights. Still, I can imagine what she might have had to say about the situation. In 1983, she was the subject of endless questioning about being the first American woman in space, a lot of which focused on things like whether she would wear a bra or makeup in space. At a NASA news conference at the time, she said: “It’s too bad this is such a big deal. It is too bad our society isn’t further along.”

I found this article interesting and I thought many of you would enjoy it. I know a lot of people here like NASA and space exploration. I thought that this might be a nice connection for you.

Not even our national heros are free from the ignorance of others.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: June 11th, 2013, 10:06 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

Post subject: Re: Sally Ride and Defence of Marriage Act.
PostPosted: June 12th, 2013, 9:08 pm 

RS Name: j1j2j3
RS Status: P2P
This topic has been discussed to death. Each sides wants it only one way and not another.

PostPosted: July 4th, 2013, 5:05 am 
Steel Member

RS Name: Varunky
Clan Name: RuneHQ
I find it interesting how those who want all rights call people who don't "ignorant." With that, politically (and I stress politically) there is no reason to deny these people.

PostPosted: July 10th, 2013, 2:23 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Killjoy4eva
RS Status: Old School (2007)
Varunky wrote:
I find it interesting how those who want all rights call people who don't "ignorant."

Yeah, I would say that if you want to deny a particular set of people rights that the majority have, I would call you ignorant.

PostPosted: August 13th, 2013, 4:00 pm 
Steel Member

RS Name: Varunky
Clan Name: RuneHQ
I feel your defintion of "ignorance" is flawed. A better word for the defintion you seek is "prejudice," and this world is full of that. A good majority of people against this are not ignorant (can have good knowledge) but have reasons to disagree with the other side. The true ignorant ones are the ones who take one side just because someone else has taken the other.