Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Oh CNN...
PostPosted: March 17th, 2013, 5:19 pm 
Site Owner

RS Name: shane12088
RS Status: P2P
Quote:
CNN broke the news on Sunday of a guilty verdict in a rape case in Steubenville, Ohio by lamenting that the “promising” lives of the rapists had been ruined, but spent very little time focusing on how the 16-year-old victim would have to live with what was done to her.

Trying to defend rape in the name of two lives being forever changed by being labeled as *** offenders. What about the life they ruined?

Covering the wrong side of the story if you ask me.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/03/17/c ... teubenville-rapists/

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: March 17th, 2013, 5:19 pm 
Site Owner

Post subject: Re: Oh CNN...
PostPosted: March 17th, 2013, 6:20 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Killjoy4eva
RS Status: Old School (2007)
I somewhat agree with you. But I think they are trying to do is look at a different point of view. It has been all over the news about the details of the rape and what not. I am sure that people know what pain the girl is going through. I think they are just trying to shine a light of what is going to happen to these boys, not in defense of in pity of the boys, but in warning to others of what can happen when this type of thing happened. Also, they were reporting on the case and not the rape itself. That already has been done.

PostPosted: March 17th, 2013, 10:48 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Duke Juker
Clan Name: Clan Quest
If anything, it should be equally sad for both the rapists and the victim. And here's why.

Nobody ends up better for what happened. The rapists go to jail and the victim is scarred physically and emotionally. But just cause they are guilty doesn't mean you can't show sympathy. They face a cruel punishment and have to carry their actions with the rest of their lives. Granted, I'm not saying what CNN did was right nor do I think they should get more sympathy than the victim. But to say there should be no sympathy for the guilty is a bit much.

82nd Dragon Member since 05/12/2010
RSBandB Member #517
Current Activities: Ports, Dailies/Monthlies, DXP
Skill Masteries: Firemaking, Cooking, Woodcutting, Fletching, Mining, Agility, Prayer, Smithing, Fishing, Summoning, Construction, Herblore, Hunter, Thieving, Crafting, Divination, Dungeoneering, Farming, Runecrafting, Slayer, Magic, Ranged, Defence, Constitution, Attack, Strength, Invention & 1st Max (3/9/19), Archaeology & 2nd Max (4/16/21), 200m Firemaking, Necromancy

PostPosted: March 18th, 2013, 8:01 am 
Cleverly Disguised Spammer

RS Name: Piratesock
Clan Name: The Mushroom Pirate Federation
Duke Juker wrote:
If anything, it should be equally sad for both the rapists and the victim. And here's why.

Nobody ends up better for what happened. The rapists go to jail and the victim is scarred physically and emotionally. But just cause they are guilty doesn't mean you can't show sympathy. They face a cruel punishment and have to carry their actions with the rest of their lives. Granted, I'm not saying what CNN did was right nor do I think they should get more sympathy than the victim. But to say there should be no sympathy for the guilty is a bit much.

No. They showed bugger all sympathy for the victim. I've not looked into the case but did the two come forward and admit it or were they caught? They get no sympathy. There lucky to be locked up and given three meals and a bed everyday. Tied to a wall and a few swift kicks in the ******* everyday for years would be a suitable punishment.

PostPosted: March 18th, 2013, 11:38 am 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Firemana
Clan Name: Problem Solvers
The rapists do not deserve any sympathy. They knew what they were doing and why they were doing it and what the repercussions would be if they got caught. Just like other criminals. They don't plan to do something and then are like, "Oh man, I wish I hadn't done that." No. They wish they hadn't been caught, not that they hadn't done it. If they could do it over again they would, but this time taking extra precautions to not get caught, i.e. kill the victim(s).

Most major news media covers the wrong side. They give too much spotlight, glory, and sympathy to the perpetrators and hardly anything to the victims(well, they might blame the victim but that's about it).

88th Dragon Member : Informer Writer : Content Crew : Chat Moderator ::
"If it ain't broke, dun fix it."

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2013, 6:50 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: blethorskite
Clan Name: Fealty Stars
There can be no sympathy for the rapists. They've made this girl go to trail and made her go through all of her ordeal and pain again, but this time in a public arena. They could have admitted their guilt and saved her that. But they still would not have deserved any sympathy. To say there is another side to this is simply to suggest the girl is to blame in some way.

ImageImage

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: March 22nd, 2013, 6:50 pm 
Runite Member

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Forum Index » Off-Topic » Non-RuneScape Discussion » Oh CNN... Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]