Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: [Informer Article] RuneLabs: Trolls in White Coats
PostPosted: January 29th, 2015, 10:01 am 
Community Ambassador

RS Name: Lord Rickles
RS Status: P2P
Flashback to my internal monologue on Tuesday January 20th.
Ah, today is the beginning of my weekend! What a great feeling! I'm all ready to relax and enjoy some free time. I've got my cup of coffee, my laptop is fired up, and I'm ready to catch up on things. Let's take a look at Runescape's webpage - oh awesome, RuneLabs is finally out. Let's take a gander at some people's well thought out and immersive suggestions for the game.

...Oh... Oh my... Wha - that's not even... Why?

Ok, what's going on here? Why are there already a hundred pages and the majority horrible? No pictures, no way to search, no way of providing feedback, I can't even support something yet. What the heck IS THIS? If I wanted to sift through a pile of garbage I would just go to the RSOF Suggestion section. How is this innovative? How is this a better system?

I'm not sure what I was expecting from RuneLabs, but this is not what I had in mind. As it exists now, it is no more than a glorified forum. Posts are made that are in categories, but other than that there is no sorting - no designators of whether it's a tweak to a current part of the game or if it's an expansion or rework to something existing, or whether it's a completely new idea entirely. There is a ninja category, but what does that mean exactly? To me that is a small tweak to something existing, but you go through the pages (all 425+ at the moment) see all range of ideas, new content included, in this category. For example, as I flip to a random page the idea for a slayer backpack to hold all your slayer gear is noted as a ninja update. That wouldn't be a ninja update because that's NEW content. There's not even a quick explanation of what the categories mean so players are just posting whatever they want to whatever category! There's just so little structure when submitting an idea that players aren't given any direction. There's 4 fields for information when you post an idea. FOUR - and one's for a forum quick-find code. There really needs to be more sections that ask for specific information so players can give us a full picture of what they are trying to suggest.

Then there's the trolls. People that post stupid ideas for no reason. And there's plenty of them already. One I stumbled across was that all drops should be in note form, except for food of course. While there are a few rules against posting about certain things, Jagex seems to have very little or even no vetting system to remove such pointless suggestions. Besides burying legitimate posts, the existence of these troll posts really makes a mockery of the entire system. There is a way to report posts, but it is worded so vaguely that I'm not sure you're even supposed to report trash posts: "Please report this idea if you believe it contains a serious issue and should be reviewed by a Jagex moderator." Well, trolling isn't serious, but it is getting very much out of hand. The worst part is Jagex is spurring it on, through a competition on their Facebook page called RuneFads where they WANT you to tell them horrible ideas. This isn't helping and RuneLabs is already being treated as a joke by many anyways. If there is to be any validity to RuneLabs, Jagex really needs to have moderators, either players or employees, monitor incoming ideas. Or even simply have someone approve posts to ensure they aren't posting anything they shouldn't or anything stupid. It would take just a few seconds and existing forum mods would surely want to help with this process.

There also needs to be some sort of end to ideas that don't get any support. Surely Jagex can come up with some sort of algorithm that weighs the age of an idea vs. how much support it has been given. Or, let players vote a negative to an idea, which pushes it further down the pages. Bias is always an issue with systems like this, but as it stands RuneLabs is just going to be one big popularity contest anyways. Let players have a preliminary say before they go to the full vote via the Player Power poll in-game. Or put a level restriction that only accounts that are level 1500+ can vote in the first few days of an idea existing.

In fact, the more I think about it, the more difficult it seems it will be for good ideas to rise to the top rather than fester with the mental waste of others. This could be easily changed by allowing players to rate an idea from 0 to 5. Zeros would be for ideas that are completely undoable or viable for the game. Ones would be for ideas that have a little merit, and so on till a rating of 5, meaning that it is an extremely well thought out idea and would be worthy of being made an update next week in its current state. You then would take the average and have that determine the placement on the pages. To allow new posts a chance, you would have a New Idea section that people could be among the first to rate it, then after a few hours it'd find its place among the rest of the ideas in that section.

It's very upsetting to see what should be a vast improvement in how we suggest things to Jagex to be so dysfunctional, impractical, and unorganized. There's more than one way to have a democratic suggestion system like RuneLabs run, but in its current form I can't see it working at all. There's too many ideas in too few categories with too little ways to receive feedback. It's no wonder that we still see ideas being posted on the RS official forums, /r/Runescape, and elsewhere as players attempt to get their idea noticed. Why post to RuneLabs if I can get a mod to respond to me on the subreddit? Why write out a detailed explanation of my idea when I will get buried by trolls and people with one sentence suggestions? Why use RuneLabs if I can't even post pictures?

...I guess I need to go on RuneLabs to suggest all of this to them.

This was originally posted as an Informer Runescape article.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: January 29th, 2015, 10:01 am 
Community Ambassador

Post subject: Re: [Informer Article] RuneLabs: Trolls in White Coats
PostPosted: January 30th, 2015, 10:16 am 
Adamantite Member

RS Name: Its Arceus
RS Status: F2P
Yeah, Jagex says specifically not to report ideas unless it's something like making a real-life threat against someone. Their claim to fame is that they will weed out all the non-suitable ideas <_<.

PostPosted: January 30th, 2015, 10:52 am 
Runite Member

RS Name: blethorskite
Clan Name: Fealty Stars
Have to say you summed up my reaction when i thought I'd take a look yesterday. Absolute rubbish and not in the least bit thought out.

ImageImage

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2015, 1:08 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Duke Juker
Clan Name: Clan Quest
I think anytime a game comes out with a "player suggestion tool," it' opens itself to trolling. Steam immediately comes to mind.

For the most part, the workshop has been a wild success, allowing players to submit new and innovative ideas for consideration by the community and gaming developers. Browsing the workshop, you come across the occasional worthless idea/concept that some noob puts up on there, but for the most part, a lot of good things get posted and make their way to the top of the list.

That said, there are some glaring differences between Runelabs and Steam's Workshop. First and foremost, the size of the community involved. Steam has millions of users whereas Runescape only has around a hundred thousand or so (if that). With a larger community comes greater benefits. Namely, there's greater involvement and feedback that can easily weed out the good ideas from the bad. In addition, and this may just be my view, but I think the Runescape community being as small as it is has more trolls per capita than the Steam community. In short, this results in the trolls voice and presence being more noticeable. A few trolls in the sea of a massive, good community (such as what Steam has) isn't as noticeable or bothersome. Another key difference is how much a feature like this is being used. Workshop has been around for a while while Runelabs is brand new. New suggestion forums tend to start out as a cesspool for trolls, but with greater community involvement, quickly become ordered and managed.

In general, a suggestion toll such as this is only as good as the community that uses it. A large, participating community is quick to shout down the trolls and lift up the good ideas that will benefit the game as a whole. Trolls will be trolls, but its the real players that need to step up and make their voice heard to make a feature like this worthwhile and valuable.

Like many updates Jagex puts out, this is something that will need work and fine tuning to become useful. But until then, it's on the players to make sure trolls don't ruin it for everyone else.

82nd Dragon Member since 05/12/2010
RSBandB Member #517
Current Activities: Ports, Dailies/Monthlies, DXP
Skill Masteries: Firemaking, Cooking, Woodcutting, Fletching, Mining, Agility, Prayer, Smithing, Fishing, Summoning, Construction, Herblore, Hunter, Thieving, Crafting, Divination, Dungeoneering, Farming, Runecrafting, Slayer, Magic, Ranged, Defence, Constitution, Attack, Strength, Invention & 1st Max (3/9/19), Archaeology & 2nd Max (4/16/21), 200m Firemaking, Necromancy

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2015, 3:27 pm 
Adamantite Member

RS Name: Its Arceus
RS Status: F2P
I would be more eager to contribute if the members-only restriction didn't make me feel so put off. Maybe I will vote up a few ideas on my P2P account though and see about doing my part.

PostPosted: February 4th, 2015, 2:16 am 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Pyrnassius
And that is why one of the most popular posts was "remove power to the player and runelabs". Tbh, I have not gone there because that is exactly what I was expecting. Getting something good is like finding the proverbial needle in a haystack. Hopefully when the time to vote for the most popular happens, we may see something reasonable, but I do not hold high hopes. I will just continue to listen to my podcasts and get my feedback from them. I don't need any more brain cells destroyed by reading some of the diatribe that players seem to spew forth.
Another well-written article, Rickles. Thank you.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: February 4th, 2015, 2:16 am 
Chat Moderator