Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: [Informer Article] 120 Capes: A Gateway to Beyond
PostPosted: July 28th, 2014, 4:37 pm 
Mithril Member

RS Name: Mr Bistro
RS Status: P2P
For those of you who can think way back to the times of RuneScape Classic, level 99's have always been a constant. That is until April 10th 2010 when the dungeons of Deamonheim arrived to Gielinor. This update for the first time broke the chain of what we knew as mastering a skill. It separated Dungeoneering from all the other skills being the only one to go to 120. And so this was left unchanged until recently with the addition of 120 cosmetic capes. And finally the question: should Jagex raise the level cap to 120?

I can understand how many people would be opposed this. "It removes the sense of accomplishment for level 99!" But, hasn't Jagex slowly been doing that already with many exp handouts?

Raising level caps is a very common thing to do with many MMO's, Star Wars, the Old Republic, World of Warcraft, Lord of the Rings Online, just to name a few raise the level cap with expansions. It's very common for older MMO's to do this as the older players continue to get access to new content, while the lower level players can work their way up to this position at their own pace. How good would this be for the aging RuneScape player? To the new players that continue on into the high level areas of the game. Think of all the new content ideas, the new resources and areas to discover. There is so much that could be done with the 21 extra levels for each skill.

With an increase however would come ramifications that would need to be taken care of in a open beta, for example, creatures difficulty. Usability of weapons, especially in a PVP environment. All of these small areas would need to be taken care of so that the high level players become far overpowered. And a possible solution has already been implemented and tested. Level scaling.

Let's say someone goes out on a slayer assignment to kill black demons, their level in magic is 110, The monster would scale past 99 to the attacker while slowly unlocking more items on the drop table that are useful for high level players. Perhaps a higher level ash than infernal would be a common drop and can only be used by players that have passed 99. That was an idea of the top of my head about how scaling combat to 120 leveling systems could work.

120 capes are a true sense of accomplishment and really show that someone has put time and effort into their favorite parts of the game. They should be rewarded for their efforts and still receive new content as well. The game doesn't have to end at a 99, or a max cape.

Dungeons and Dragons was a game I played a couple years ago with some friends on a weekly basis and it had the idea of Paragon paths and Epic Tier. Once a certain level was hit, you could choose where you wanted to go with the class you chose. The same could be done at 99 in RuneScape allow the player to choose what they really want to do and enjoy doing. The entire idea of Paragon paths in to diversify the experience. In an already vast game, would it not be cool to see a battle mage that deals a lot of damage and then a Strategist mage that manipulates the battle to help their friends in combat, buff them and heal them? That screams diversity to me.

The 120 levels are itching with possibilities and the release of these capes shows that Jagex wants to do something about it. They are showing a lot of interest in the end game. Take their prestige system idea from earlier this year. Allowing players to work to 99 again but with twice the experience needed each time. To me, this sounds like a very simplified way of making an endless end game. One that many games already have and truthfully, I don't find it very rewarding. New content that is only available and the 99 + level sounds awesome, it sounds like new epic adventures and bosses waiting to be discovered, it sounds like new life in the game and a reason to press on to the high stages of the game.

The 120 capes were very well received by most people in the community, and I myself at first was skeptical, but I realized how much more there could be to this game, and how fun and epic it truly could be to go past mastering a skill. RuneScape needs a stronger reason to play on, and the 120 cosmetic capes are a doorway to endless possibilities.

This was originally posted as an Informer Runescape article.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: July 28th, 2014, 4:37 pm 
Mithril Member

Post subject: Re: [Informer Article] 120 Capes: A Gateway to Beyond
PostPosted: July 28th, 2014, 9:16 pm 
Dragon Member

RS Name: JessePinkman
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: The Cafe
I definitely support the max level for all skills being raised to 120, however I see how it could raise some issues, particularly concerning max/completionist capes. The sheer amount of time and effort required to get level 120 in all skills is simply ridiculous; I mean, last I heard only 3 people currently have that, which would mean that getting those capes back would take be nearly impossible. I guess they can keep the max cape requirements the same and release another max cape for getting all skills 120+. I don't know about comp cape though since you wouldn't have really "completed" the game if you didn't have 120 in all skills. Great article though, hopefully if Jagex were to ever make all skills 120 they would be able to sort out the cape issues.

ImageImageImageImage ImageImageImage

653rd to 120 Divination
550th to 200m Divination

Post subject: Re: [Informer Article] 120 Capes: A Gateway to Beyond
PostPosted: July 28th, 2014, 9:38 pm 
Bronze Member

RS Name: 26
RS Status: Classic
There is a thread on the RSOF HLF from Mod Oliver on this very subject with some very interesting statistics I shall post here :D .
(259-260-987-65438073)

As you can see, many players have and continue to go for 120's (Myself included) for the cosmetic upgrade of a Skillcape. Prior Skillcapes, 99's were nothing more than an accomplishment of improving one's own self-worth on the game itself. Nowadays, everybody feels the need to showboat their met goals :P . If level caps were raised to 120, I feel the need to grind out the game even further would bring many players to the point of even unhealthier gameplay and/or leaving the game completely; as being the next new norm to a max cape would be the 120 Max Cape.. making the goal feel unreachable and just silly. Sure, it is arguable players should design a lifestyle that can balance a healthy RuneScape life and real life. But c'mon, this would just make all of our lives and the people whom surround us even lazier. To increase the exp rate gained in these skills though would devalue them, with or without content. Dungeoneering is fine how it is because it has content designed for it and is just designed that way.

I do see these artificial milestones as an entryway to 120 skills in the future though, yes.