Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
Should Jagex stop logging us out when Idle?
YES 11%  11%  [ 3 ]
YES 11%  11%  [ 3 ]
NO 39%  39%  [ 11 ]
NO 39%  39%  [ 11 ]
Total votes: 28
 Post subject: LOG OFF RANT
PostPosted: October 20th, 2013, 9:44 am 
Bronze Member

RS Name: Tauni65
RS Status: P2P
This is my FIRST post here in the forum and it is regarding something that has been bothering me since the very day I started playing RuneScape... The issue is LOG OFF time... Am I the ONLY ONE who finds it irritating to be in game and then you go idle trying to look up info on Rune Wiki, or some fan site regarding a quest or item or something and you pop back to RuneScape to find yourself LOGGED OUT only to have to click to reenter, then you have to reenter bank pin to get back in to continue buying and selling or whatever... I mean SERIOUSLY folks... Does Jagex TRULY believe that ANY player NEW or SEASONED would be so dumb as to go off window while in a DANGEROUS zone or during combat? I look forward to hear what others think about this DISTRACTION / DIVERSION... lol

Quest points - 245 / 347
Aura - Greater Corruption
God - Zamorak

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: October 20th, 2013, 9:44 am 
Bronze Member

Post subject: Re: LOG OFF RANT
PostPosted: October 20th, 2013, 10:57 am 
Runite Member

RS Name: Bonsai99
RS Status: Retired
Uh...they increased the logout timer to 5 minutes a long time ago. It really shouldn't be a problem. I don't think they want people idling ingame for multiple hours for no reason.

PostPosted: October 20th, 2013, 12:53 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Duke Juker
Clan Name: Clan Quest
It can be annoying, but I think most players have just gotten used to it. Sure, it's a pain to relog, but they've made it easier now and not as time consuming. It's fine as is.

82nd Dragon Member since 05/12/2010
RSBandB Member #517
Current Activities: Ports, Dailies/Monthlies, DXP
Skill Masteries: Firemaking, Cooking, Woodcutting, Fletching, Mining, Agility, Prayer, Smithing, Fishing, Summoning, Construction, Herblore, Hunter, Thieving, Crafting, Divination, Dungeoneering, Farming, Runecrafting, Slayer, Magic, Ranged, Defence, Constitution, Attack, Strength, Invention & 1st Max (3/9/19), Archaeology & 2nd Max (4/16/21), 200m Firemaking, Necromancy

PostPosted: October 20th, 2013, 6:32 pm 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Firemana
Clan Name: Problem Solvers
From the launch of RS2 in 2004 until January 2009 the logout timer was 90 seconds, or 1.5 minutes. After then it was changed to 5 minutes because the 90 seconds was seeming to short.

The logout timer is not for your character's health, it is for your account's safety. It was put in place to prevent people from stealing the account if you got up for some reason. It is not a D&D, in fact it was added years before the concept of D&Ds were even thought of.

5 Minutes is fine. You're not supposed to be able to AFK your way through.

Are you wanting a 1 hour timer like Client MMORPGs? GW, EQ, LOTRO, WoW?

"Runescape isn't THAT sort of game."

88th Dragon Member : Informer Writer : Content Crew : Chat Moderator ::
"If it ain't broke, dun fix it."

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2013, 5:49 pm 
Steel Member

RS Name: Varunky
Clan Name: RuneHQ
It does get frustrating, but as Jason said (I wish I could "like" your post), it's for your account's security. Not everyone is smart with their account, and they could leave it in on in places or at times that could leave them at risk. I've heard of people being logged on at a friend's - going to the bathroom - and coming back to have the friend have given away all of his stuff.

If it needs to be increased by a minute, I'd be ok with that.

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2013, 1:23 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Estor
RS Status: Retired
Varunky wrote:
It does get frustrating, but as Jason said (I wish I could "like" your post), it's for your account's security. Not everyone is smart with their account, and they could leave it in on in places or at times that could leave them at risk. I've heard of people being logged on at a friend's - going to the bathroom - and coming back to have the friend have given away all of his stuff.

If it needs to be increased by a minute, I'd be ok with that.

If you go AFK in the wild that's your own fault. If you AFK on a pking world your going to die, 5 minutes or 5 hours, it doesn't matter. On low population worlds, there isn't any immediate threat, it just gives more time for someone to stumble upon you. Regardless if it's high or low population world, pking or not, you're stupid for going AFK in the wild, and it's your own fault, or any dangerous location for that matter.
As for the friend thing... That person isn't much of a friend are they? If they didn't know, it's common sense to not screw around with something that's not yours and when you don't know what your doing. If someone had the intention of doing that auto log off has no effect whatsoever because bathroom breaks don't take more than 5 minutes to begin with and second, the person would probably realize you had left the room (so they'd probably get right to work - instead of waiting for an hour and then noticing your gone).

Auto log off shouldn't be something to rely on (for security), it's just there to log off inactive players. If you know something will take awhile you should expect yourself to get auto logged off and not complain. Seldom have I needed to look at something, and I found out I've been auto logged. Either it'd take me a minute, or something like an hour (in which case I'd log off in advanced, or forget, but I'd never AFK in a dangerous area). I also got into the habit of quickly switching just to move if I was almost done. 5 minutes is too long for protection but if you get distracted by something in a dangerous area and you either rely on auto log off or completely ignore the threat that's your own fault. The reason it's 5 minutes today is because before people complained it auto logged you off to quickly, and you would have to log in constantly. People in your house who would screw with your account is a whole other trust issue on its own, not a problem with auto log off.

Personally, auto log off didn't benefit me at all but it has its uses and that's why it exists. Although it has gotten in my way, it wouldn't be a reoccurring issue that was worth complaining about and I think 5 minutes is a reasonable time and is fine as is.

ImageImage

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: October 23rd, 2013, 1:23 pm 
Runite Member

PostPosted: October 24th, 2013, 4:10 am 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Pyrnassius
It doesn't bother me at all... if I am looking something up, i will either fletch or firemake, or just log out to the lobby if it's going to be a while. The 5 minutes is usually plenty of time to quickly look something up if i need to.

PostPosted: October 25th, 2013, 3:14 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Jade Gizmo
Clan Name: Pawscape
I never realized it had increase to a big 5 minutes.
I'm so use to woodcutting back years ago, and just having a lone right click to reset my timer when I was on another tab.

I really don't browse other tabs all that much when playing, defeats the purpose of playing, even with tedious skill grinding but I get it.

Least it just logs you off to the lobby.
OHHHH but if it's Jagex's laggy servers then that kicks you out of the game in 30 seconds.
:x

PostPosted: October 25th, 2013, 3:16 pm 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Uncle Dano
Clan Name: Knights of Honour
Although I support the automatic log out after a period of idle time, I think that 5 minutes is just a tad too short. If they increased it by just a couple of minutes it would be perfect.

Web: Uncle Dano's RS Wiki | RS Hiscores: Uncle Dano

PostPosted: October 29th, 2013, 12:43 pm 

RS Name: j1j2j3
Should jagex allow us to have our idle timer? Where the default is 5 minutes but members have the ability to extend their time up to 10?

PostPosted: November 10th, 2013, 8:25 am 
Adamantite Member

RS Name: Touchpad Pro
Clan Name: Tmoa
Disconnecting in dangerous areas makes you appreciate the auto logout. And it's not really hard to be afk for less than 5 minutes, or to avoid being afk at all.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Forum Index » RuneScape » RuneScape General Discussion » LOG OFF RANT Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ]