Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Should Prestige be a part of Runescape?
Yes. 18%  18%  [ 7 ]
Yes. 18%  18%  [ 7 ]
No. 18%  18%  [ 7 ]
No. 18%  18%  [ 7 ]
I don't care. 13%  13%  [ 5 ]
I don't care. 13%  13%  [ 5 ]
Total votes: 38
 Post subject: Prestige in the works for Runescape
PostPosted: October 10th, 2013, 11:27 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Duke Juker
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: Clan Quest
Dev Blog Link

Basically, Prestige is a gaming feature whereby once a player has achieved the highest level or "maxed" out their character in a game, they can opt to restart their progress all over again to achieve the highest level or max again. In doing so, the game will display that the player has prestiged.

Jagex wants to introduce this to Runescape to make the hiscores somewhat relevant again and clearly to give high level players something more to do.

I personally think this is a bad idea and one that should not be implemented into the game. Prestiging really has no place in any game. And no offense to anyone when I say this, but it's mostly a feature for people who have too much time on their hands and want to show their "prowess" at a game by maxing out over and over again. The nice thing about RS is that it has ends in a matter of speaking. Once you get level 99 in a skill, you don't have to keep going except for a rank on the hiscores. Once you get 200m, you are completely done with skilling and can either move on to another skill or take a break. Whatever happened to starting a new account? I mean, wouldn't that be more fun than using an already maxed account?

If you are that bored and want to keep progressing or playing RS, then start a new account and max it out. Or move on to something else...like real life. :P But Prestige is not something RS needs. As one person said in the discussion thread, it's a bit late to introduce this kind of update. 12 years late. I suppose RS was different back then and the hiscores are much different now then back then, but it's frankly unnecessary to try to implement a change like this now.

What does anyone else think about it?

82nd Dragon Member since 05/12/2010
RSBandB Member #517
Current Activities: Ports, Dailies/Monthlies, DXP
Skill Masteries: Firemaking, Cooking, Woodcutting, Fletching, Mining, Agility, Prayer, Smithing, Fishing, Summoning, Construction, Herblore, Hunter, Thieving, Crafting, Divination, Dungeoneering, Farming, Runecrafting, Slayer, Magic, Ranged, Defence, Constitution, Attack, Strength, Invention & 1st Max (3/9/19), Archaeology & 2nd Max (4/16/21), 200m Firemaking, Necromancy

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: October 10th, 2013, 11:27 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

Post subject: Re: Prestige in the works for Runescape
PostPosted: October 11th, 2013, 5:46 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Comp Sci
Clan Name: W48 Stalkers
Duke Juker wrote:
The nice thing about RS is that it has ends in a matter of speaking. Once you get level 99 in a skill, you don't have to keep going except for a rank on the hiscores.

The reason that I don't get why people are opposed to this update is that if you want it to end at 99, it still can, and if you want to keep going, there's more room and variety to that.

The only situation in which I can understand the opposition to it is if you have xp wayyyyy past 99 for ranks and aren't really happy about losing that (one of my friends with 1 and almost 2 200m skills wasn't happy), but my understanding is that there will still be the traditional highscores for that.

PostPosted: October 11th, 2013, 7:47 am 
Runite Member

RS Name: Bonsai99
RS Status: Retired
Just doesn't fit well with runescape. That is all.

PostPosted: October 11th, 2013, 7:52 am 
Cleverly Disguised Spammer

RS Name: Piratesock
Clan Name: The Mushroom Pirate Federation
No idea why this is a negative. RS got so boring. Everyone had a 99, everyone was maxed out. Theres two reasons to play an MMO:

1) The community.

2) Achieving ****.

As the RS community is **** and full of idiots (with a few exceptions) the main reason is to achiev things and be better than everybody else. Now you can. Course Jagex are going to screw it up. Somehow.

PostPosted: October 11th, 2013, 10:48 am 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Firemana
Clan Name: Problem Solvers
It's not going to accomplish what Jagex wants it to. Why?
A: The people with 200m already will get some sort of an advantage(as they really should since they've gotten 15x the required xp), this will put them ahead of most other players in some way.
OR
B: The people with 200m will get shafted and thrown to the side because 'giving players with 200m some sort of compensation wouldn't be fair to those with 99.' yet making everyone even isn't being fair to those who have worked for 200m xp.

Duke Juker wrote:
Prestiging really has no place in any game.

I think in some games it might, but those games were designed with it in mind since their release. Runescape has been without Prestige for 12 years as was mentioned, it is too late to effectively add a system now because half your player base is already maxed, thus half will be prestiging.

Someone mentioned Runescape needs more players playing low content, "And Prestige will do that."
Yes, more players playing low content would be good but Prestige won't do that. Used to be that content was run by new players and secondaries(skill/pvp pures). You very rarely find anyone with a secondary now because there is largely no point. And apparently there are few if any new players joining Runescape, that is an entirely different matter.

Someone on RSOF, I forget if it was a Jmod or player, said Prestige was hoped to bring back players that had quit due to maxing. Why would a player that maxed come back just to do it over again?

In previous years I new plenty of maxed people, they still enjoyed the game because it was fun and they got to play with their friends. They had all 99s, all quests complete, best gear, but would just cut yews or fish sharks for hours while they talked to a friend. Perhaps maxed skills and xp isn't the problem, maybe there is another issue?

What good will upping the xp requirements do if Jagex keeps giving xp away like candy at Halloween?

Eh, there's my 2 coins. I don't think a Prestige system fits in Runescape's environment nor story. Will I use a Prestige system? Perhaps for my favorite skill, but not the other 25 skills.

88th Dragon Member : Informer Writer : Content Crew : Chat Moderator ::
"If it ain't broke, dun fix it."

PostPosted: October 14th, 2013, 3:46 pm 
Steel Member

RS Name: Varunky
Clan Name: RuneHQ
I foresee the high levels who prestige not getting so involved in getting these resources so much (unless they prestige their gathering skills). I'm more expecting them to prestige their production skills first and buying 99 over and over (if they have the money that is).

So, imo, the first part will be good for people wanting to be part of the group wanting to do gathering skills (as most people will be wanting to prestige their producing skills to get those up first before others). Later they will work on their producing skills b/c they have either no money or have gotten their production skills high.

(Sorry if I rambled. Trying to play RS and watch American Dad while I write this)

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: October 14th, 2013, 3:46 pm 
Steel Member

PostPosted: October 14th, 2013, 5:12 pm 
Community Ambassador

RS Name: Lord Rickles
Apparently Jagex is putting this to vote... Which I feel is ridiculous. They are taking this "we listen to the players" thing too far. It's THEIR game - they need to keep things moving forward as they see fit, for best or worse.

PostPosted: October 14th, 2013, 8:46 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Comp Sci
Clan Name: W48 Stalkers
Here's a screenshot of the HLF thread.

I'd like them to clarify whether xp gained after 99 counts towards the next prestige level before they post the poll though.

PostPosted: October 15th, 2013, 1:40 am 
Community Ambassador

1 Stone, they have already confirmed that it wouldn't. Whether you have 14M or 200M, it goes back to 1 with no carry over.

The whole thing of polling the players has really gotten out of hand. Jagex is running a business where a lifeboat of complainers can capsize the entire luxury liner. It makes no sense whatsoever to cave to people complaining about this. I would not be against a sort of introductory applied current XP = 1/3 of what it would be under prestige, but to hinge the entire thing on a vote is stupid.

The worst thing is, the top players on the high scores are, in most part, not even playing the game anymore, which makes the current high scoring system pointless. I guarantee you there are people with 200M cooking that haven't played the game in several years. That's not a high scores table - it's a museum; a hall of fame immortalizing someone long gone and couldn't care less. Keeping the high scores filled with people who are truly playing and battling to keep their place today is what it is all about.

Not everyone plays that way anyways - probably 75% of the entire RS player base doesn't, but to have my happiness and sense of nostalgia playing through the low levels again potentially ruined by uneducated and complacent player base is disgusting. Prestige has to do with each individual player and how they play the game. If you don't like it, then don't prestige and sit there gleefully staring at your millions of useless XP. If you train past 99, it should be because you enjoy a skill. If you did it for ANY OTHER REASON, you wasted your time. That XP is useless now, and it will be useless tomorrow and forever in the future whether this update happens or not. People who are fighting this update are protecting nothing but their own wasted time. And note where that screenshot came from - the High Level Forums. All old vets that would be dethroned if things were to change. They all made enough stink to leak out to other areas of the forums, so everyone is up in arms now. The entire way this happened just shows that those who gained all of those millions of XP did it for the wrong reason - for the glory of rankings and not because they wanted to have fun.

PostPosted: October 15th, 2013, 6:11 am 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Pyrnassius
In all honesty, other than those in the top 100 on the old high scores, I don't see why anyone should really have a problem with this. Granted, I don't really care about high scores, or leaderboards and the like, but doesn't this give newer players who DO care about such things an incentive to stick around and compete for a realistic chance to get onto the new board? Jagex have said the old high scores will still be there, but this is just another way to give players an incentive to train skills. To those who are feeling negative toward this update, consider this: it might be a good opportunity for skillers to start making money again as players going for the prestige scores will be needing supplies to train from level 1 again. I can't see myself resetting any of my 99's, but I do see it as a way for maxed players who start getting bored to have a new goal and to give newer players an opportunity to see themselves on a highscore board... if we can't have level 120 in all skills, this just might be the next best thing. Just consider both sides and all the pros and cons before dismissing this as a bad idea.

Pyrn

PostPosted: October 15th, 2013, 10:37 am 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Firemana
Clan Name: Problem Solvers
Lord Rickles wrote:
The whole thing of polling the players has really gotten out of hand. Jagex is running a business where a lifeboat of complainers can capsize the entire luxury liner. It makes no sense whatsoever to cave to people complaining about this.

The vocal minority has always had power over RS. For years. There are quite a few things that they have caused over the years which are now commonly accepted. Not saying that's right, but that's how Jagex runs RS.

While I still believe the 200ms should get something, I agree with you that if they didn't do it because they loved the skill, they wasted their time. The problem is, very few people do anything in RS just for the fun of it or just because they love the skill. It has become too competitive, though perhaps that isn't quite the right word.

Perhaps if they did have an official Hall of Fame some of these 200ms wouldn't mind so much?

Uhh, just an FYI, the HLF are not the only place it was posted, though it was posted there 17 hours earlier. It is also in the Future Game Updates forum.

My question is: This is aimed to give new players a chance at being on the top, now. Well what about the new guy that joins a year from now? He'll have to fight through prestige 5ers. And the guy who joins 2 years? He'll have to fight prestige 20ers. There is no way to make this fair all around.

It would be better for them to re-design the seasonal highscores since apparently they aren't working correctly.

I am not so much against Prestige, I am against its potential effects. If it is added I may very well prestige fishing, because its the one skill I really love. That would depend on how prestige ultimately works. I don't care about the highscores, I'm never going to waste enough of my life to be #1 in a game. If something can be done that makes those people who do care about it happy, then that's fine, so long as it doesn't mess up the game. The effects on the Economy and the return of bots are some of my primary concerns. How the Economy will be affected has not been identified, though supposedly there is 'A Team working on it'. Bots will return if you add more grinding, which is essentially what prestige will be for most players. Botwatch cannot and will not catch everything.

As I've said before, I don't believe this is really fixing the problem. Just prolonging/ignoring it for a short time.

The poll will hopefully have more than one question and more than two answers. I also believe it needs to votable by F2P & Members but only those with at least one 99.
Why this rationale?
F2Ps need to be able to vote because with the addition of Bonds they have created many part time members. I'm not talking about F2Ps who are members 2 months out of the year, I'm talking about Members who let their paid subscription lapse occasionally and then use bonds to be members.
At least one 99 should be required because otherwise you're voting on something you can't use(though it will still effect them). Multiple 99s should not be required because then you restrict it from the real players.

What will I vote? Currently I'm leaning towards 'No'. If Jagex can explain more in detail then perhaps I would change.

You know, it is strange how Jagex really hasn't given much information(nor seemingly thought) to this update. Almost as if they intended to do a poll all along in hopes it would fail so that they could say they're 'Listening to the players'. People begged for a poll about Bonds after release but there was none. No poll was begged for Prestige(that I saw at least) yet we get one.

88th Dragon Member : Informer Writer : Content Crew : Chat Moderator ::
"If it ain't broke, dun fix it."

PostPosted: October 15th, 2013, 9:02 pm 
Community Ambassador

People did beg for a poll for this. They also did for bonds, but after the fact they were put in game - you can't really have a poll after they surprise you with an update. I kinda wish they would have prestige this the same way, because no matter how someone feels about it, it's too late because it's already in game and nothing can be done but tweaking it. This is not a "bring free trade and the wildy back" level of decision. It's not even that big of deal. And let's point out that this is all based on a DEVBLOG and not an announcement post or random update post. Devblogs are put out so Jagex can get better input from the player base about how to make it better, but devblogs are not for players to say yes/no about it. It shouldn't be our decision. Give feedback, yes, but whether or not to go forward with an update, no.

PostPosted: October 16th, 2013, 12:30 pm 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Uncle Dano
Clan Name: Knights of Honour
Frankly, I would rather see Jagex increase the max level on all the skills to 120, like in dungeoneering, instead of introducing this concept of prestige. That would give them something to do: introduce more high level content/items to work towards. I'm not overly interested in my ranks on the hiscores as I am more of a casual player. I certainly am not a "no-lifer" who has 200 M xp in many skills.

I totally agree with Duke Juker's opinion on this topic. Once you max out, the game is essentially over for you. Move on or create another account.

Web: Uncle Dano's RS Wiki | RS Hiscores: Uncle Dano

PostPosted: October 16th, 2013, 4:38 pm 
Community Ambassador

I'm surprised you took this stance, Dano. As someone with a multitude of 99s, I would of thought you'd be in favor of going for another spin on your favorite skills. Shows what I know!

PostPosted: October 17th, 2013, 9:40 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Jade Gizmo
Clan Name: Pawscape
As far as the current poll it's 63% no.
They were aiming for 75% yes.
Don't see it turning around that much and I hope they stick to their guns and not allow the prestige update to go through,

Either way it wouldn't effect me, I have no life but seriously, how much of a no life would you ?not? have..
to get 99's multiple times.. for the same skill.

Something I personally would never use , there are plenty of skills I still need to drain more of my social life into just to get the 99 mark once.
At first I was worried about the highscores effects. Since the highscores first came to be, I've been a leaderboard junkie, but since they would still keep the old one, I was relived.

I don't know why I'm this for against it.. when it has nothing to do with me, but I am, how I feel, my stance.
But it's good Jagex is still listening to the community. (if they go with the polls results in the end)

Sure it's their game...
but without players to support their wallets, there isn't a Runescape.