Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Jagex spends 500k on advertising
PostPosted: February 4th, 2013, 1:00 pm 
Cleverly Disguised Spammer

RS Name: Piratesock
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: The Mushroom Pirate Federation
http://gamepolitics.com/2012/12/26/jage ... nescape#.URAP12fMwRs

That's what the cash shop moneys going towards. Interesting. I did see the one advert on TV. Wonder if it's done them any good they don't appear to have invested any further in it. And looking at there user count they only have 80k people online at 8pm in the UK. Seems rather low.

Still it's all speculation cause there currently holding back there financial report.I'm not a business man so I've no idea if this is normal behaviour or not. Seems a little strange to me especially if as they claim there doing great...why would you not want to shout about it? Seems to me there putting all their eggs in one basket and banking on transformers being a huge hit...and if it isn't?

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: February 4th, 2013, 1:00 pm 
Cleverly Disguised Spammer

Post subject: Re: Jagex spends 500k on advertising
PostPosted: February 4th, 2013, 6:09 pm 

RS Name: j1j2j3
well so far advertisement for RS has been basically word of mouth. They need to keep getting new people to play the game or they will go under.

even blizzard does commercial for WoW and starcraft.

PostPosted: February 5th, 2013, 10:52 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Duke Juker
Clan Name: Clan Quest
Blizzard has a much larger following though. And their commercials are basically movie trailers...fantastic quality. Anyway, Jagex hasn't done a lot of advertising for the game and it's probably good they start doing some. As to their financial report, see below.

develop-online.net wrote:
Jagex claims 'most successful year' despite late financial report
By Craig Chapple
January 4th, 2013

RuneScape developer insists it will file its accounts soon as Companies House makes proposal to strike them off

Jagex has claimed it has experienced its most successful year ever despite being three months late in producing its financial results for 2012.

As we reported in November, Jagex has yet to post its accounts for the previous year to the Companies House, which was due on September 30th.

But speaking to Develop, Jagex chief marketing officer David Solari and chief financial officer Riaan Hodgson said they intended to file their report soon, but had prioritised a number of other things such as the Transformers MMO and the release of Ace of Spades before filing their accounts.

Since speaking to Jagex just before the Christmas break, an active ‘proposal to strike off’ has been listed on the Companies House site. A spokesperson from the Companies house explained that the Registrar had made the move due to the lateness of the accounts filing.

Jagex now has three months to file their accounts – which they have said they plan to do so soon – or the company will be dissolved. This means they will be struck off as a legal limited company should they not do so.

It should be noted however that the event of this occurring seems highly remote, given the extensive plans the 500-strong studio has for its future, as Solari explains.

“It’s been the busiest year the company has ever had,” said Solari.

“We’re developing our second really big MMO with Transformers, that’s just gone into closed beta with some great results there. We’re launching Ace of Spades which has flown right in there and it’s been at the top of the Steam charts for us which has been absolutely fantastic as well, there’s just been a huge amount of focus around that.”

Hodgson added that Jagex was very pleased with the plans it had set out last year, with the launch of a new studio in California releasing Facebook title Carnage Racing, as well as Steam top seller Ace of Spades, and insisted RuneScape was still the “cherry in the crown” for the studio, and had been doing “magnificent”.

When questioned further on whether a strong financial position meant the studio was at its most profitable ever, Hodgson said it was the developer’s “most successful year ever”.

“We’ve made choices about investing in new products coming out next year,” he said.

“So for us it’s not just driving profitability it’s driving long term, sustainable financial health. Which means we’re investing in new things and not just taking everything out as dividends as we use to in the past.”

Hodgson also insisted that the studio had already seen “great results” from its investments, and expected this to continue into next year.

RESHAPING THE STUDIO
In the last year, despite RuneScape surpassing 200 million registered users, and adding “revenue strength” with microstransactions into the MMO, Jagex has been reshaping its development plans.

In March the studio froze development on its sci-fi MMO Stellar Dawn and laid off 12 staff, while there were also further staff losses with the shutdown of another MMO, 8Realms. Despite this, Solari and Hodgson said 2012 had been one of the biggest years of growth for the developer, with a “significant number” of new hires and a number of jobs still vacant going into 2013.

When asked about the layoffs and whether that meant there had been some difficulties financially, Hodgson said: “As a company, our financials have never been better. But clearly as an organisation we live in a very competitive commercial world and if a product, if we don’t see a commercial success for it, we need to make pretty tough decisions to make sure that overall our financial position remains strong. So it means we do close things if they’re not successful.”

Solari added: “I mean that’s game development to a certain extent. You know, you grow there, you think there’s a great idea, you grow it and make it and sometimes it works the way you want it to and sometimes it’s not quite there. Sometimes you push it further and harder to get it to where you want it to go and it works out, sometimes it doesn’t.

“We’ve actually got a pretty good track record considering we haven’t launched an awful lot of games and the ones that we have generally been very successful But you know, nobody has a 100 per cent track record.”

http://www.develop-online.net/news/42899/Jagex-claims-most-successful-year-despite-late-financial-report

82nd Dragon Member since 05/12/2010
RSBandB Member #517
Current Activities: Ports, Dailies/Monthlies, DXP
Skill Masteries: Firemaking, Cooking, Woodcutting, Fletching, Mining, Agility, Prayer, Smithing, Fishing, Summoning, Construction, Herblore, Hunter, Thieving, Crafting, Divination, Dungeoneering, Farming, Runecrafting, Slayer, Magic, Ranged, Defence, Constitution, Attack, Strength, Invention & 1st Max (3/9/19), Archaeology & 2nd Max (4/16/21), 200m Firemaking, Necromancy

PostPosted: February 5th, 2013, 4:48 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Estor
RS Status: Retired
trekkie wrote:
well so far advertisement for RS has been basically word of mouth. They need to keep getting new people to play the game or they will go under.

even blizzard does commercial for WoW and starcraft.

Funny because their attitude seems to be "**** old RS, were changing it to modernize it" and so far they've been struggling to get new players, let alone maintaining it's current population. You know that the game WAS good when it thrived solely by word of mouth.

If you ask me, advertising won't help them. They never used to advertise, had they saved this money they could probably afford remove SGS or SoF (they probably already can, they're just stubborn and greedy), therefore get more players and members, it's part of the reason I quit. Jagex need to realize that they can't compete against other modern games. They're falling behind, and people aren't as interested in games like RS as they used to. So instead of screwing over and reworking the game, maybe they should just stick to what they have and try to maintain their current players, while slowly expanding. Right now they're really pushing their luck. And advertising RS probably isn't the best idea anyway because they don't have a very "wholesome" image right now. Only people who would play are the kind of person who just tries every game. And despite this $500,000.00 spending, I haven't seen one ad. Maybe you should try expanding a bit outside your own country Jagex... not everyone who plays RS is in the UK.

ImageImage

PostPosted: February 6th, 2013, 11:57 am 

wow has been the same for a long long time. they just add in pandas and bears.

rs has changed in past few years with rs2, and eoc. many people who used to play rs still remembers how rs used to be just click everywhere with bad graphics. maybe this will also bring more people back into the game.

PostPosted: February 6th, 2013, 12:40 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Bonsai99
RS Status: Retired
RuneScape was still the “cherry in the crown” for the studio, and had been doing “magnificent”.

If "magnificent" is losing a huge portion of your playerbase and ***** off a boatload of people I wonder what doing "good" would be like >.>

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: February 6th, 2013, 12:40 pm 
Runite Member

PostPosted: February 8th, 2013, 11:22 am 
Mithril Member

RS Name: newhero
and 500k not that much

PostPosted: February 13th, 2013, 1:07 am 
Runite Member

RS Name: Jamandy52
Clan Name: 1elitesc / Jamandy52
Interesting read. I'm interested to see when they do release their financial report :P

PostPosted: February 14th, 2013, 9:38 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Azek
CreepyPirate wrote:
http://gamepolitics.com/2012/12/26/jagex-spends-%C2%A3500k-ad-campaign-runescape#.URAP12fMwRs

That's what the cash shop moneys going towards. Interesting. I did see the one advert on TV. Wonder if it's done them any good they don't appear to have invested any further in it. And looking at there user count they only have 80k people online at 8pm in the UK. Seems rather low.

Still it's all speculation cause there currently holding back there financial report.I'm not a business man so I've no idea if this is normal behaviour or not. Seems a little strange to me especially if as they claim there doing great...why would you not want to shout about it? Seems to me there putting all their eggs in one basket and banking on transformers being a huge hit...and if it isn't?

The fact that their financial statement is not out is extremely concerning. I would actually like to look at the financial statement when it comes out and give me two sense.

PostPosted: February 18th, 2013, 2:27 pm 
Steel Member

RS Name: wizard o cry
RS Status: F2P
Advertising is important, if they want to sell the product. 500k is a reasonable price for a game like runescape.

PostPosted: February 18th, 2013, 3:24 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Comp Sci
Clan Name: W48 Stalkers
Quote:
cherry in the crown

Pretty sure that's not the saying, but whatever.

Quote:
the studio froze development on its sci-fi MMO Stellar Dawn

Nobody could have seen that coming
/s

PostPosted: February 18th, 2013, 8:09 pm 
Bronze Member

RS Name: Saint Aderes
Clan Name: Spirits of Arianwyn
It's hard to say what really goes on with Jagex, I know they def. have to be making more due to the microtransactions, but I def. know they lost alot of members. You can see it with the votes for rs2007.

PostPosted: February 18th, 2013, 8:30 pm 

i think the vote for 2007 server is really stupid. it is like playing a ps1 game when you have a PS3.

Sure you may enjoy it but you'll soon go omg i can no longer play this game anymore because i cannot stand the look of the game.

PostPosted: February 19th, 2013, 3:47 am 
Steel Member

RS Name: wizard o cry
RS Status: F2P
trekkie wrote:
i think the vote for 2007 server is really stupid. it is like playing a ps1 game when you have a PS3.

Sure you may enjoy it but you'll soon go omg i can no longer play this game anymore because i cannot stand the look of the game.

Exactly when I had a ps3 and they had free ps1 games for purchase on the store. I downloaded all the free ones when I played them I was like wtf I don't remember these graphics being this *******.