Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: [Informer Article] What makes RuneScape Addictive?
PostPosted: June 27th, 2012, 2:17 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Tim2
RS Status: Retired
Clan Name: Bits and Bytes
Hello everyone, I'm back again this month for another article that all stemmed from a tweet I saw the RuneScape Official Twitter retweet a little while ago. That got me thinking to just what people think about RuneScape and has it really turned into something people need to get a daily dose of to function properly.

Now most people have addictions to things like drugs, cigarettes, beer, etc. Online addiction is something I've never heard of, but I think it's time that I will start hearing those sort of things. It's no lie that I used to play this game way too much, but to me to it never an addiction. I had fun while I was playing and I could leave at any time, take a couple of days off to do other things, or what I'm currently going on, a couple months off then I come back for the odd quest update or to see something that has changed. Never during my time before I left did I feel that if I didn't play this game did I think I was going to have some mental breakdown or something that would make me regret not playing RuneScape for just a couple of minutes to feed a crave I could or could not have had.

Going through more of the RuneScape Official Twitter I saw a couple of other things. One tweet was from a guy who, after six years of playing, finally got his first 99. Now I have ten 99's and I've been playing since at least 2004, but those come from grinding during one month because of something I said I was going to get, and because of a competition where I had fun (Firemaking was one of them, same with the Fletching SKOTMs) and not because I needed to play and because I felt I needed to play. Getting a 99 is something that I enjoyed getting and none of my 99's have been a real pain to get, because I had fun and with my most recent ones (Woodcutting and Agility were fun to get) were 99's I got once I took a break to play other game and just relax and learn other skills (like getting my Actions Per Minute up) that will help me in the future.

I mention that taking a break allowed me to gain skills that I will use in the future. Having a good APM will allow you to do more things faster because you will understand what is going on and can comprehend what is going on. Some examples I can think of are some Halo and Quake Live pros that have recognized the in game timers for the power weapons (in Halo) and the yellow, red and mega armour (in Quake live). Being able to keep track of what is going on in the game passively, as well as playing the game are important skills for some life jobs. Being able to keep track of different timers on different stoves while cooking will allow you to figure out just when to put everything in so you can take everything out all at once to have a nice hot meal. The only real skill I've gained from RuneScape is just how fast I'm able to type on my keyboard, which any job where you need to sit in front of a computer and take notes are really helpful, especially in post-secondary where in a class of 300. RuneScape could have even helped me learn to shape my voice so I could take on different acting roles where a Canadian accent isn't what the director wants. RuneScape is just a past time and isn't something that should take priority over school or work. It is something to take your mind off something and to just relax while, something to relieve stress if something is really making you worried.

Addictions are bad things. Online ones aren't as bad as say a Cigarette addiction, but it could have implications on what happens in the future. You need Vitamin D, which the sun gives plenty of when you go outside and hang out with friends. I hope you take some of my words of advice and treat RuneScape as a fun past time, and not something that need in your life to stay sane. This is all I have for now, Tim Out!

This was originally posted as an Informer Runescape article.

/ August '15 (Fishing) \

/ Skiller of the Year Wins - 2009 | 2015 \
/ Informer Runescape Writer from 01/27/09 to 9/27/12 | 80th Dragon Member | RSBandB donator \
/Global Moderator April 1st, 2015 - April 1st, 2015\
/ 842 to 99 Dungeoneering & First RSBandBer to 99 Dungeoneering \

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: June 27th, 2012, 2:17 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

Post subject: Re: [Informer Article] What makes RuneScape Addictive?
PostPosted: June 28th, 2012, 9:22 am 
Mithril Member

RS Name: Hic142
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: Castaways
agreed.

I have a friend who I have played rs with for years. A couple of months ago we decided to try out members. We both liked it and did lots of members quests and activities together but I soon realized that everytime I logged in he would already be on and every time I logged out he would still be playing. He began to pass me almost every single skill. He would play early in the morning and late into the night. He became addicted. Now it seems to me that he is a bit withdrawn from real life as if all he really cares about is going home and playing rs.

I think that Runescape is a great game and it is okay to waste time on it sometimes but there is a fine line between Simply liking it and being addicted.

-> https://epicfreeprizes.com/?ref=2077746 <-

PostPosted: June 29th, 2012, 11:44 am 
Adamantite Member

RS Name: Monstermas22
Clan Name: Skillah_Kings
Agreed wholeheartedly. I use RS as an escape from the real world and to forget about my troubles and drama.

But I agree also with hic above me. When you're playing 20+ hours a day, (Hell, even 14 hours Plus) you're addicted.

I just can't see why people would just use RS as it was meant to be played. It's a GAME, not a lifestyle.

Dragon Left half drops: 14
Most Recent: 1/24/11 (Black Demon task; Kuradal)

PostPosted: July 9th, 2012, 12:50 pm 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Uncle Dano
Clan Name: Knights of Honour
Absolutely spot on. It is always good to point this out. The key is BALANCE. You must not make any hobby, whether it be playing RS or playing sports, etc, a priority over other real life things such as school, work or personal relationships. You must find a balance whereby you successfully fulfill your real life obligations first, successfully completing your education, getting a career, perhaps finding a spouse and raising a family. Life skills come first before RS skills. Get level 99 in school or work or family, then you can work on getting level 99 in slayer, runecrafting or summoning. Finding that balance is key to putting RS properly as an important part of your life, but not make it your life.

Web: Uncle Dano's RS Wiki | RS Hiscores: Uncle Dano

PostPosted: July 9th, 2012, 2:35 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Duke Juker
Clan Name: Clan Quest
I think it really depends on the person and the object of addiction. Some people have no problems finding a balance or never getting addicted while some are easily addicted within the first day. One thing that'll be interesting to see is the short term and long term impact of gaming addictions on people's lives and whether gaming addictions are better or worse than other addictions.

82nd Dragon Member since 05/12/2010
RSBandB Member #517
Current Activities: Ports, Dailies/Monthlies, DXP
Skill Masteries: Firemaking, Cooking, Woodcutting, Fletching, Mining, Agility, Prayer, Smithing, Fishing, Summoning, Construction, Herblore, Hunter, Thieving, Crafting, Divination, Dungeoneering, Farming, Runecrafting, Slayer, Magic, Ranged, Defence, Constitution, Attack, Strength, Invention & 1st Max (3/9/19), Archaeology & 2nd Max (4/16/21), 200m Firemaking, Necromancy

PostPosted: July 9th, 2012, 7:07 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Estor
RS Status: Retired
Tim wrote:
Going through more of the RuneScape Official Twitter I saw a couple of other things. One tweet was from a guy who, after six years of playing, finally got his first 99. Now I have ten 99's and I've been playing since at least 2004, but those come from grinding during one month because of something I said I was going to get, and because of a competition where I had fun (Firemaking was one of them, same with the Fletching SKOTMs) and not because I needed to play and because I felt I needed to play...

Funny thing is I've been playing RS for about 8 years now I think since early '05 and I still don't own a 99. :D

Aside from that random note, great article! :)

ImageImage

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: July 9th, 2012, 7:07 pm 
Runite Member

PostPosted: August 20th, 2012, 5:31 am 
Steel Member

RS Name: Kon x
I think runescape is addicting because of the need to gain xp, money and level your skills. Now with the SoF, players log on everyday to get their free items, as long as they remain members. A lot of people do this even if they aren't in a phase of runescape at that moment. And it seems like an xp waste to not do it at all.

PostPosted: August 24th, 2012, 1:32 am 
Adamantite Member

RS Name: ultimasayan
To me, its due to the amount of time i put in this game and i just dont want it to leave me, maybe because im a nerd but runescape is part of what i do also i like it of how simple the game is, but however this game is boring but to me now but i its the matter of what to do the fill the time of not having runescape, i havent found it yet so im still playing

PostPosted: August 24th, 2012, 5:57 am 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Uncle Dano
Clan Name: Knights of Honour
ultimasayan wrote:
...maybe because im a nerd but runescape is part of what i do...

You all are going to absolutely LOVE my audio question submission to this weeks episode of RSBandBUPdate! (Episode #375). It addresses the items discussed in this thread specifically. Make sure you listen this week when it comes out. (And, I bet you all ROFL as well).

Web: Uncle Dano's RS Wiki | RS Hiscores: Uncle Dano