Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: [Informer Article] Should holiday items stay rare?
PostPosted: August 10th, 2012, 10:18 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Tim2
RS Status: Retired
Clan Name: Bits and Bytes
Party Hats, Santa Hats, and Hallowe'en Masks are all items most people know to be related to wealth or having an old account. The Scythe and Rubber Chicken are also rare items and show the age of your account, but cannot be traded. The oldest holiday items that is non-tradable in my POH toy box is the Grim Reaper Hood from the 2007 Hallowe'en even though I remember being around for the skeleton set from the 2006 Hallowe'en event and the Wintumber Tree from the 2006 Christmas event. So I bring this article talking about some of the old event items and some of the new membership card items and if Jagex should do something like making available the option to get all of the holiday items during each event (like what Jagex already has with the holiday emotes) or if they should adopt a Team Fortress 2 style of naming by having every single holiday item and membership card item becoming "vintage" items and having some way to get all of the them, but having them labeled as normal items and not worth that much as anyone can get them, but I'll go over that possibility in my article.

The holiday emotes aren't something people think about when they are talking about how good and how bad the events were each year, but they are available to get even if you missed that specific holiday event by doing the holiday event the next year. I feel that at least the non tradable items should be available to get even if you missed the event they were handed out at. Something like Easter ring from the 2006 Easter event and the Hats and Scarves from the 2005 Christmas event are things that can't be traded and are things that people want to have, but they can't get it because their account wasn't made at the time of the event or they were away and could not get the event done. If Jagex adopted the same policy that they use with emotes players could obtain non-tradable event items so they can fill up their toy box in their POH. Nothing would be harmed, the economy wouldn't be affected like if they brought back the party hats and Christmas crackers from the 2001 Christmas event. There isn't really anything that could go wrong. Seeing those grey slots in my toy box are really annoying when I know I can't get those items, I wish there was a way to grey out the missed event items (along with being able to store my Queen's guard and Dragon ceremonial armour in my house or at least making it only one slot in my bank) so it just shows the items I own. Now this is one of the options that I think Jagex could implement and be able to get all of the non-tradable items back out there and into the hands of the old players who want those items back have no way to get them.

Now the other way I mentioned above was something that Team Fortress 2 did when they brought The Mann-Conomy update in to Team Fortress 2 on September 30th 2010. After that update was patched into the game, everything that wasn't strange or obtained from an achievement was made vintage and given a blue outline to it when you view it in your inventory and when trading it. These items are worth more than the same normal item. The same thing could happen with the RuneScape holiday items. One day every holiday item everyone has becomes vintage (could or could not include the party hats, Santa hats, etc) and there is a new way to obtain the missed holiday items (could be before a holiday event, or an event that brings you back in time to get them) and then everyone has their holiday items. Toy boxes are filled up and the economy shouldn't change and then the people who are poor can get their party hats and Santa hats. I know I'll be happy because I'll be able to get my toy box filled up with the holiday items I missed. Now they could also do this with the membership card rewards (green skin, flaming skulls, giant katanas) as well and then make the current ones vintage. This would also enable the non membership card buying members to receive something similar to  what the membership card buyers are getting.

So there is my opinion of what what I think Jagex could do to give their loyal members the event items they missed while still keeping the already earned event items a meaning. This is all I have for now, think over what I said and tell em what you think in the comments, Tim Out!

This was originally posted as an Informer Runescape article.

/ August '15 (Fishing) \

/ Skiller of the Year Wins - 2009 | 2015 \
/ Informer Runescape Writer from 01/27/09 to 9/27/12 | 80th Dragon Member | RSBandB donator \
/Global Moderator April 1st, 2015 - April 1st, 2015\
/ 842 to 99 Dungeoneering & First RSBandBer to 99 Dungeoneering \

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: August 10th, 2012, 10:18 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

Post subject: Re: [Informer Article] Should holiday items stay rare?
PostPosted: August 11th, 2012, 12:04 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Estor
I'm going to have to disagree. You should have done the event in order to earn the clothing. It is a symbol of age on your account like you said. And the whole "vintage" idea is pointless because like you said, it's untradeable the only difference is the item name, players who had the REAL item can't prove their age. And it would have an effect on the economy if Phats were handed out again and the only difference was "vintage" in the title, Phats would crash because you could just get them for free. These "vintage" ones would be pointless, only point would be to trade to show someone (and at that point they'd be worth nothing). I was already mad when they started giving the old emotes, please not the clothing. I do want the scarves and the hats from '05, I had an account then... but I was 6 years old and I was stubborn so it's really my fault for not getting them. At the VERY MOST you should be able to do events that you could have done (your account was created during/before the event) but not if your account was created after. Otherwise it defeats their value (if tradeable) or their symbolism. And it bugs me at the end when you say "So there is my opinion of what what I think Jagex could do to give their loyal members the event items they missed while still keeping the already earned event items a meaning." because if they bring the items back in the game, it does kill their meaning and when you talk about "loyal members" you make this whole idea another fruity SoF RWT Promotional crap toss and despite being a member I hate that typical Jagex propaganda. They should just remove F2P if they're going to do nothing but tease F2Pers and support micro transactions. What corporate scumbags.

ImageImage

PostPosted: August 11th, 2012, 4:24 pm 
Mithril Member

RS Name: Hic142
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: Castaways
Sorry Tim but i agree with Estor on this one. To many players including myself holiday items would lose their value if everyone could have all of them.

-> https://epicfreeprizes.com/?ref=2077746 <-

PostPosted: August 11th, 2012, 5:01 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Bonsai99
I also have to agree with Estor and Hic.

PostPosted: August 13th, 2012, 3:46 pm 
Runite Member

Soz Tim, bad suggestion is bad. :(

ImageImage

PostPosted: August 14th, 2012, 6:14 am 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Pyrnassius
As long as the items are the untradeable ones, I think it would be great to get. Things like the phats and h'ween masks should not be released though. Perhaps those untradeable rares could be released on the membership loyalty store?? We will need something good to spend out loyalty points on. I don't buy emotes or clothing on there and am still in two minds about a lot of the auras. With 89,100 loyalty points, i would certainly spend them on some of those old rare items. Just make sure they do stay untradeable though.

Pyrn

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: August 14th, 2012, 6:14 am 
Chat Moderator

PostPosted: August 14th, 2012, 10:48 am 
Mithril Member

RS Name: Hic142
Clan Name: Castaways
if people were able to simply buy the items, less people would do the actual events and no one would care as much about holiday items

-> https://epicfreeprizes.com/?ref=2077746 <-

PostPosted: August 14th, 2012, 2:01 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Duke Juker
Clan Name: Clan Quest
Part of the having those items is the fact that you were on Runescape then as opposed to later. It's a reward for players who have been around longer. I don't like it a lot, but I think it's fine the way it is. If everyone had the items, what fun would that be?

82nd Dragon Member since 05/12/2010
RSBandB Member #517
Current Activities: Ports, Dailies/Monthlies, DXP
Skill Masteries: Firemaking, Cooking, Woodcutting, Fletching, Mining, Agility, Prayer, Smithing, Fishing, Summoning, Construction, Herblore, Hunter, Thieving, Crafting, Divination, Dungeoneering, Farming, Runecrafting, Slayer, Magic, Ranged, Defence, Constitution, Attack, Strength, Invention & 1st Max (3/9/19), Archaeology & 2nd Max (4/16/21), 200m Firemaking, Necromancy

PostPosted: August 15th, 2012, 11:34 am 
Runite Member

^ Exactly and pyrn again, it defeats the purpose of having the original items, it's nothing special. Stupid if you could just buy the Scythe (or any other unradeable for that matter). And don't even mention it in association with the Loyalty Shop, SoF or SS because it makes it another
Estor wrote:
fruity SoF RWT Promotional crap toss

So yeah...
And FYI don't give Jagex ideas they might hear us

ImageImage

PostPosted: August 20th, 2012, 5:24 am 
Steel Member

RS Name: Kon x
Don't agree, sorry man :S