Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: RWT and Jagex
PostPosted: April 25th, 2012, 6:38 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Duke Juker
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: Clan Quest
Well, today my interest in learning more about Jagex and RWT was high. So I did some searching on the internet and came across this little tid bit that most of you might have missed.

Runescape Wikia wrote:
On the 6th of April, Jagex removed a previous block of text from the RWT Rule:

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape."

Many players demanded an explanation from Jagex about the removal of the paragraph from the rules, because it was previously used as reasoning when other controversial updates were implemented.

Some players believe the paragraph was removed because of jagex's recent stance on marketing, with the implementation of updates such as the Squeal of Fortune and Refer a friend programmes. According to Mod Moltare the Squeal of Fortune and Refer a Friend programmes are not Real World Trading because Real World Trading is a third party to third party situation.

It was talked about on numerous forums as well, such as Tip...

deyan2 on Tip.it wrote:
The rules changed from:

Quote:
=================
The Old Rules on Real-World Trading
==================

What is real-world trading ?

Real-world trading is the term used for the real-world purchase of services with the intention of advancing your Jagex character. This includes, but is not limited to: purchasing gold or items in Runescape, buying a Runescape account as well as paying someone to increase your account** experience(XP) in a skill or for them to complete quests and activates on your behalf.

Why do we have this rule ?

We have this rule for two reasons:

1. We don’t want players to be able to buy their way to success in Runescape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues Runescape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn’t affect your ability to be successful in Runescape.

2. Often when players sell items in Runescape for real cash, the items are actually stolen. When a player purchases a Runescape account, there is a high probability that the account may have been stolen. Stolen accounts will always be returned to the original owner.

Into:

Quote:
=======================
The New Rules on Real-World trading
========================

What is real-world trading?

Real-world trading is the term used for activities which occur outside of the game environment which result in the real-world sale or purchase of items, gp or services with the intention of supplying or advancing a Jagex in-game character other than by the means which are incorporated into the game.
This includes, but is not limited to: purchasing gold or items for RuneScape on 3rd party websites, buying a RuneScape account on 3rd party websites, paying someone to increase your account's experience (XP) and paying someone to complete quests and activities on your behalf.
--------------------

Why do we have this rule?

• Nobody has our permission to sell RuneScape accounts or any RuneScape related virtual in-game item. All RuneScape accounts and virtual items are the property of Jagex Ltd and players are only granted a limited, revocable permission to use accounts and virtual items.

• The activities of people obtaining items with the intent of selling them, often involves cheating practices such as using macro scripts (botting).
• When a player purchases an existing RuneScape account, there is a high probability that the account may have been stolen. Stolen accounts will always be returned to the original owner.

• For another player to use your game character they will require access to your account. This means your security becomes compromised and the account as well as the virtual items on the account, are then likely to be sold on to a third party.

• When items in RuneScape are not supplied by Jagex Ltd., the items are often taken from the stolen accounts of innocent players.
Any attempt to real world trade is a serious breach of a player’s agreement with Jagex. Jagex does not recognise any attempted transfer of accounts or virtual items outside of the game environment.

A rule change after the introduction of Jagex...maybe because their own definition of real world trading meant that the Squeal of Fortune is (or at least was) a form of rwt. Also, Mod Moltare makes it clear there is a double standard for RWT. Even if Jagex were to commence in RWT, it's okay since they own the game and are not a third party. Thoughts on this?

82nd Dragon Member since 05/12/2010
RSBandB Member #517
Current Activities: Ports, Dailies/Monthlies, DXP
Skill Masteries: Firemaking, Cooking, Woodcutting, Fletching, Mining, Agility, Prayer, Smithing, Fishing, Summoning, Construction, Herblore, Hunter, Thieving, Crafting, Divination, Dungeoneering, Farming, Runecrafting, Slayer, Magic, Ranged, Defence, Constitution, Attack, Strength, Invention & 1st Max (3/9/19), Archaeology & 2nd Max (4/16/21), 200m Firemaking, Necromancy

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: April 25th, 2012, 6:38 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

Post subject: Re: RWT and Jagex
PostPosted: April 26th, 2012, 5:41 am 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Uncle Dano
Clan Name: Knights of Honour
Demonstration of a complete lack of integrity on Jagex's part. Their values can be summed up as follows:

Web: Uncle Dano's RS Wiki | RS Hiscores: Uncle Dano

PostPosted: April 26th, 2012, 7:35 am 
Cleverly Disguised Spammer

RS Name: Piratesock
Clan Name: The Mushroom Pirate Federation
I think they got tired of people spamming that rule on there forums. XD

They have no argument for it so they changed it. Out of sight out of mind.

PostPosted: April 26th, 2012, 4:48 pm 
BANNED

RS Name: firering401
RS Status: F2P
Flawed business model is flawed. I hope they loose money and turn into the next Nintendo.

PostPosted: April 28th, 2012, 2:56 pm 
Mithril Member

RS Name: Mercifull
Clan Name: Council of Elders

PostPosted: April 28th, 2012, 3:53 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: StarMilgauss
Sigh, lets hope they put that money into advancing the game.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: April 28th, 2012, 3:53 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

PostPosted: April 29th, 2012, 2:31 am 
Dragon Member

RS Name: Ryan V 09
RS Status: Classic
A few years ago, they completely trashed the game in an attempt to stop RWT, only to now put RWT into the actual game itself in the form of cash shop crap.

But what did such a Teuton afterwards look like when he had been "improved" and led into a monastery? Like a caricature of a human being, like an abortion: he had become a "sinner," he was in a cage, one had imprisoned him behind nothing but sheer terrifying concepts... There he lay now, sick, miserable, filled with ill-will towards himself; full of hatred for the impulses toward life, full of suspicion of all that was still strong and happy. In short, a "Christian"... - Twighlight of the Idols

PostPosted: May 5th, 2012, 2:56 pm 
Community Ambassador

RS Name: Shwa
Clan Name: Rsbandb
I notice they changed the wording for buying runescape accounts too to only from a 3rd party website. I hope Jagex isn't planning on selling accounts on their website -.-

Content Crew Member as of: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:20 am
Resigned Content Crew as of: Fall 2012

Events Crew Member as of: Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:56 pm
Resigned Events Crew as of: Fall 2012

Community Ambassador as of: Sunday August 31st, 2014 12:30 am

PostPosted: May 6th, 2012, 10:51 pm 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Pyrnassius
I was a little concerned when i first heard Jagex were selling spins on the SOF, but lets all sit back and look at it properly. How often do you REALLY win anything good on the wheel? I have picked up a lot of small and a few medium xp lamps, but thats about it. Even if you do win an Amadyl chest plate, it is classed as a lucky one and therefore is not tradeable. If people realy like the wheel, there are numerous free ways to get spins without having to purchase them, real money is just one of several ways to get them. With the bot nuke day, Jagex lost a lot of players.. a lot more than i think anyone was expecting. If this helps them get more money to put into development, then honestly, good luck to them. I wont buy any spins personally, but neither am I going to scream at Jagex and curse them for it. I mean, seriously.. to the poster who said you hope they lose money and become the next Nintendo, do you honestly want that? The SOF does not affect us directly, or the enjoyment of the game, so why wish something so detrimental that it would ruin Runescape? Let's all take a deep breath and not cut off our noses to spite our faces. The cost of developing new ways to combat botters and to keep things fresh in the game isn't cheap. Jagex is a business afterall, not a charity, so if they aren't making money, they will close down.
In closing, i ask this... Would you rather membership costs go up again to the point of several other games out there ($15-$20 a month for some), or just let them sell a few harmless spins and get the extra money that way?
Happy Runescaping and enjoy your adventures in Geilinor!!!

PostPosted: May 7th, 2012, 9:03 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Skype Jay
RS Status: F2P
In that aspect that it's very rare to get anything good on the wheel is where all these "underage gambling" things take flight. But still, if I made a website with a roulette game on it and you'd wager 1 cent a spin and you could win rs items or gold on it that I'd give you, would that make it not RWT? The chance of winning would be rare enough that I could make a lot of real money with only spending a little rs money, so it's not like it would effect the economy at all. It'd stimulate it if anything, since I'd have to buy the items from someone! And then that item can be later traded, more transfer of money plus that person may want to buy the item back at a later date. I AM ECONOMYSTIMULATORMAN DON'T BAN ME
But the exp you get on it isn't rare at all if you've bought a lot of spins. Buying 150 spins I think it was was $40, and ignoring all the exp he got in other skills, he got 400k exp in RC with just the lamps. It takes 4 hours to make $40 at minimum wage. It [took] 8 hours runecrafting to get 400k xp. Sounds actually efficient to me. But that was before RuneSpan which might be big reason runespan was made to have good exp, so that buying spins wasn't a more efficient use of time than actually runecrafting. XD

Jagex isn't going to invest a dime they make extra in the game it's going straight to the shareholders. They claimed to be loosing so much money because of botting so it's good to know they used all that extra money they surely must have made after the bot nuke to develop a roulette wheel.

PostPosted: May 14th, 2012, 9:15 am 
Bronze Member

RS Name: Avid43
It really is a shame the way they have gone, I personally think they are setting themselves up to be able to sell big chunks of XP to people or even gold. They try to make the game attractive to new players but at the same time release new content such as the QBD which they suggest a minimum 120 combat to attempt. For a new player that recommendation must be so demoralizing and I'm sure many people just give up and quit as it takes them long enough to each 50 combat, let alone 120 combat.

For me personally, I still enjoy the game as much as I did when I first started it. I don't play for ranks or to be the best so if people are getting help or being given an advantage then so be it. I do feel for the competitive players out there but at the end of the day Jagex are a company that exist to make money and they can't afford to be loosing players when there have quick fire solutions, such as selling xp, available to them.

PostPosted: May 20th, 2012, 2:36 am 
Steel Member

RS Name: RoyalForce
RS Status: Classic
Clan Name: Teh pwnage
After browsing the RS forums for some time after this update, I came across many interesting posts, some by JaGeX themselves. But the most interesting one I found was one made by a maxed member (I don't know where she posted, but I remember most of it)

Using many mathematical calculations, she worked out that if you buy the 75 squeals pack for 20$ (I think) you will, on average, get 200k xp in a skill of your choice. Pretty cool, I thought. But she went even further to discover that if you were to do the same method, it would be possible to, in theory, buy a max cape.

Her exact words:

"13000$ for a max cape, anyone?"

They see me trollin'
They hatin'
Patrolling
Trying to catch me trollin dirty

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Forum Index » RuneScape » RuneScape General Discussion » RWT and Jagex Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]