Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Latest Runescape poll - Runefest 2012 Location.
PostPosted: November 26th, 2011, 3:19 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: TheLion
RS Status: P2P
The latest quick poll is up on the Runescape main site. It's a choice of four locations for Runesfest 2012. They are Chicago, Los Angeles, London, and New York.

As of right now, the results are:
New York - 33%
London - 30%
Chicago - 19%
Los Angeles - 19%.

I of course voted for New York, it's only a few hours away from me. If it end's up being in New York, I do plan on going.

If they do end up in New York, and I know about it far enough in advance, I plan on buckling down and finally working on dungeoneering, so I can get lvl 120 and the completionist cape at the event.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: November 26th, 2011, 3:19 am 
Rsbandb Donor

Post subject: Re: Latest Runescape poll - Runefest 2012 Location.
PostPosted: November 26th, 2011, 9:03 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Azek
I loved for LA, since flights there from Missouri are pretty cheap.

EDIT: I forgot that Chicago is like...3 hours from me lol. So I voted for that.

PostPosted: November 26th, 2011, 10:04 am 

RS Name: j1j2j3
if it was in the SF area, i would go. but no cash to fly to la or anywhere else.

PostPosted: November 26th, 2011, 12:58 pm 
Steel Member

RS Name: Jmycenae
I don't know why, but I cannot find the poll. The link on the Runescape site takes you back to the main page, where I cannot see the poll. Obviously I am doing something wrong. Can someone direct me to it?

Thanks!

PostPosted: November 26th, 2011, 1:48 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

Jmycenae wrote:
I don't know why, but I cannot find the poll. The link on the Runescape site takes you back to the main page, where I cannot see the poll. Obviously I am doing something wrong. Can someone direct me to it?

Thanks!

I'm not sure, but I believe you have to log in on the homepage to see the poll, which is at the bottom of the page. The site is still pretty buggy though. Sometimes when I bring up the homepage, the poll is there and allows me to vote again, without being logged in. And, sometimes when I log in, it takes me straight to the game, other times it leaves me on the home page.

PostPosted: November 27th, 2011, 5:16 pm 
Site Owner

RS Name: shane12088
London.

Jagex is a UK company. I have fears that if the event is hosted in North America they won't be able to put the same amount of effort into it. This is because they'll have to send a team over to the US to live there to oversee the planning phases or at least hire an events team that is based in the US to set it up.

Whether you like it or not those in the US were not around during the middle ages. I don't think those who are not in the UK have the same appreciation for the idea behind RuneFest and RuneScape itself. Sure people that live in the US are fans of the game but are they really as die hard about the whole middle ages aspect as those in the UK? (based on conjecture, I've yet to see a poll done showing whether or not this is true)

And finally, since Jagex is a UK company why not have RuneFest as an exclusive for those who do live in the country where the game is made? If you make the trip to the UK from North America you're more dedicated than most North American fans.

As for my North American preference, Orlando, Seattle or San Fransisco. Not as big as New York or LA and less expensive to stay at. In the pre-show of our RuneFest debrief we pretty much agreed that New York would be the likely option since it's a hub and relatively close to the UK over the ocean if Jagex were to want to host in North America.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: November 27th, 2011, 5:16 pm 
Site Owner

PostPosted: November 27th, 2011, 6:36 pm 
Black Member

RS Name: drndog
RS Status: F2P
I agree with Shane that it should be held in London because Jagex is based in the UK. Also, I wouldn't go even if it was on my street.

However, I do understand Jagex's want to expand their fanbase by holding the event in the US because we offer plenty of teens who are completely obsessed with videogames.

PostPosted: November 27th, 2011, 7:05 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Addiv
I'd prefer Chicago or west coast but I suspect it will be east coast if it does land in the US.

PostPosted: November 27th, 2011, 7:55 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Duke Juker
Clan Name: Clan Quest
Jagex and Runescape may be British based, but I'm pretty sure most their player base is in the United States. Therefore, they should host at least one Runefest in the US. Seattle would be nice, but I'm really not interested in going.

82nd Dragon Member since 05/12/2010
RSBandB Member #517
Current Activities: Ports, Dailies/Monthlies, DXP
Skill Masteries: Firemaking, Cooking, Woodcutting, Fletching, Mining, Agility, Prayer, Smithing, Fishing, Summoning, Construction, Herblore, Hunter, Thieving, Crafting, Divination, Dungeoneering, Farming, Runecrafting, Slayer, Magic, Ranged, Defence, Constitution, Attack, Strength, Invention & 1st Max (3/9/19), Archaeology & 2nd Max (4/16/21), 200m Firemaking, Necromancy

PostPosted: November 28th, 2011, 6:50 am 
Rsbandb Donor

Shane wrote:
Whether you like it or not those in the US were not around during the middle ages. I don't think those who are not in the UK have the same appreciation for the idea behind RuneFest and RuneScape itself. Sure people that live in the US are fans of the game but are they really as die hard about the whole middle ages aspect as those in the UK?

US was not around during the middle ages, however a great deal of our ancestors did take part in the whole thing. I disagree that just because runescape is set in the middle ages, the UK players would be more in tune with the whole concept. I seriously doubt most people in the UK ever even think about the middle ages just like most of us in the United States never think about the old west, with cowboys and indian's.

Many people in the US participate in middle age celebrations. Throughout the US, Renaissance faire's are a huge attraction, drawing ton's of fans, taking the back in time a bit to experience some of the activities from that era, such as jousting.

I see nothing wrong with Jagex showing a little consideration to what is most likely their largest subscriber base, and giving them the opportunity to participate. Without US players, runescape would probably have fallen by the wayside long ago.

PostPosted: November 28th, 2011, 7:18 am 
Cleverly Disguised Spammer

RS Name: Piratesock
Clan Name: The Mushroom Pirate Federation
Well if we want to make that argument without the UK jagex wouldn't exist. Not a very good argument.

I don't see why they can't just host two. One in the UK and one in America. It's not like there putting there money into updates these days and from what I've seen RF is fairly low budget convention anyway can't cost them much.

PostPosted: November 28th, 2011, 10:18 am 
Rsbandb Donor

I wonder how Jagex would respond if instead of them putting together an American Runefest, the players themselves organized and put one together. Would Jagex show up and participate? Something to perhaps consider for the future. A duel runefest, one in US and one in UK would be kinda cool.

PostPosted: November 28th, 2011, 2:12 pm 

RS Name: j1j2j3
a runefest in america would become an egg throwing contest.

i really doubt that a runefest in US would end peacefully.

PostPosted: November 28th, 2011, 4:08 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Skype Jay
RS Status: F2P
Yeah, I don't see why there can't be multiple ones. Anyways, I don't think something like this should be isolated to one location anyways, it should be like a multiple city tour or at least change the location every year. I probably wouldn't go if it was in my backyard anyways though so I couldn't care less where it is.

And when Shane first said that middle ages thing on R!U, I thought it was a joke. XD I don't really understand how the middle ages being closer to London than America has anything to do with anything. It was so long ago that any remote ties anyone has to it would be invalid in the first place, but a lot of Americans have British blood in their family anyways. So any "middle age blood" would have trickled over here anyway. But thats like a "my blood is better than yours I'm pure blooded haha" argument. XD
I did agree with that "America isn't the center of the universe" stuff though

PostPosted: November 29th, 2011, 4:52 am 
Bronze Member

RS Name: Tappy
Clan Name: 3rd of Life
I'd like it to be in North America, but I have no idea which city..

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. This is, I repeat, the best way of life to be found on the road the world has been taking. This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron." -Dwight Eisenhower.