Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Strifewind's Scam Guide - What they are and how to stop them
PostPosted: January 17th, 2005, 6:21 pm 
I've been compiling this for a while now. It was for my clan originally, but I decided to bring it here as well. It's only 50% done, so please bear with me.

THIS IS MY GUIDE! DO NOT COPY THIS WITHOUT CONSENT FROM ME!

For a quick search, use Ctrl + F to do a find on what you're looking for.

It's color coded, so you wish for the Word Document, feel free to PM

If I forgot anything, please tell me and I will credit you for the source.

The Double Vision Clan Scam List
By Strifewind the Original Strife
Contents:

Intro

Version Information

Section A: Trade Scamming
A-1: Swapping
A-2: Nagging
A-3: Too Good to Be True
A-4: Fake and Useless Items

Section B: Armor Scamming

B-1: Armor Trimming
B-2: Armor Changing
B-3: Armor Dying
B-4: Armor Polishing

Section C: Password Scamming

C-1: Jagex Now Blocks Password
C-2: Password for Money

Section D: Account Trading/Sharing/Selling

D-1: Account Trading
D-2: Account Sharing
D-3: Account Selling

Section E: Other
E-1: Get rich quick Scams

Glossary

Credits

Legal Stuff

Version Information

December 14, 2004 – Started Guide, Completed Section A (V 1.0)
December 17, 2004 – Started working on Section B (V 1.1)
December 27, 2004 – Completed Section B and Section C (V 1.2)

Intro

This is a rather simple guide to the various areas of scamming throughout Runescape. Scamming is used to gain anything from Money, to items, to even accounts. IT IS ILLEGAL AND GOES AGAINST RUNESCAPE RULES. Scammers are usually low level (from 3 – 40) and have a very simple character design (the default setting when you first start playing). Although this is not true for all scammers. Some high level players (50 and up) also try to scam, for reasons we can only assume (lost everything in the wilderness/duel). There will be several sections to this guide (all credits will be listed at end). Each section will follow a detailed, but simple, explanation of how the scam works, an example if it is needed, how to prevent it, and hopefully pictures. I’ll be using my name (Strifewind) for all examples. Though I’ve never been scammed, it’s just easier to use my name. If you ever see anyone scamming, report him or her immediately. Jagex takes a video of the last 60-seconds of the area.

Scams and other text will be in Black.
Sections will be underlined and in Purple
Topics will be underlined and in Blue.
Examples will be in Red.
Prevention Methods will be in Green.

Section A: Trade Scamming

A-1: Swapping

A very common way to scam a player is to put up a fairly decent item for an average selling price. Eager to purchase, the player quickly puts up their money. Then the scammer will switch out the amount of the item being purchased, or the item itself.

Example:

Strifewind: Buying runeplate, press 333 to sell!

Scammer: 333

*Trade screen appears*

Strifewind: How much?

Scammer: 65K

*Strifewind puts up 65K*

*Scammer puts up rune plate*

Now this is when it gets technical. As Strifewind goes to the final conformation screen, he may just press accept, out of anxiousness. But the scammer would have swapped out the Rune Plate for a Mithiril Plate because it looks very similar.

Prevention: ALWAYS CHECK THE FINAL CONFORMATION SCREEN! There is no other way than that. Just make sure what you’re trading. Only way.

***************************************************************************************************************

A-2: Nagging:

While Nagging is uncommon nowadays, it was very popular in the early days of Runescape. Nagging is basically a scammer constantly requesting to trade with you. They won’t give up until you finally trade with them. This usually occurs in high trade areas (banks, Varrock Center). You normally would carry around a lot of gold, because you are looking to buy something. So after many requests, you get fed up, and decide to trade. Put up some random amount of money or just click an item you’re trying to sell and you click accept to get rid of the pesky little guy. Though this isn’t truly scamming, it is in some form. It abuses the trade screen and annoys players into clumsy mistakes.

Example:

Not Needed

Prevention: Don’t give in! Let them bother you. Worse comes to worse, switch worlds, that easy. As you may have noticed, a lot of the prevention methods will require diligence and patience.

***************************************************************************************************************

A-3: Too Good To be True

Occasionally you might come across a trade that is “too good to be true”. Usually the case is the scammer will offer up a really good item for some really low price. They will then proceed to switch out the item, or remove it completely. Or in rare cases, it will be a fake. This won’t occur so much in Runescape, but it is likely in Runescape Classic (RSC) since the security isn’t as advanced. Again this is something that is unlikely due to the security updates on Runescape, but it is still possible.

Example:

Scammer: Selling Rune Body Plate for 10K

*Strifewind wishes to trade with scammer*

*Strifewind puts up 10k, scammer puts up body plate*

*Strifewind accepts, scammer swaps out, accepts*

Strifewind is left with Mithiril body plate and is down 10K

Prevention: Don’t fall for it. Though your losses may be minor, it is still a loss. ALWAYS double-check each screen when trading. If you see someone offering a really good item for a really good price, don’t bother even trying to trade. It is most likely a scam. Please note it also possible it seems like a normal price and they will still swap it out.

A-4: Fake and Useless Items

There are many items in Runescape that are useless. This is a list of items, details about the, and explanation on why they are fake and/or useless.

Spinach Roll – A home made spinach thing. Heals 2 HP. Dropped by Moss Giants or given to by Old Man. Basically useless food. Scammers try to pass it off as something special. Actual Selling Price: 1 – 5 GP

Wine of Zamarok – Special wine from the Zamarok monks. It is wine that cannot be consumed. Scammers will sell it for 1 – 15K and a piece. Actual Selling Price: 2K

Unfermented Wine – Wine that has yet to be fermented into either Wine or Bad Wine. Scammers will sell this at ridiculously high prices. Actual Selling Price (in unfermented state): 5 GP

Example:

Not Needed

Prevention: Don’t buy these items for more than they are worth.

Section B: Armor Scamming

In the world of Runescape you need armor. Armor helps to protect you from attacks. There is no way to alter any kind of armor. In this section the many explanations of armor scams will help inform you of what you cannot do to armor.

B-1: Armor Trimming

A very new scam, exclusive to Runescape 2. A scammer will take your armor and claim to be able to trim. Truth is, he can’t trim it, only trick you into thinking he can and thus stealing your armor. NO ONE CAN TRIM ARMOR! The only way to get trimmed armor is from Member’s Treasure Trails, although free players can purchase it from members who have it.

Example:

Not Needed.

Prevention: NO ONE CAN TRIM ARMOR. ABSOLUTELY NO ONE! ANYONE WHO SAYS THEY CAN IS A SCAMMER. In other words, don’t fall for it.

B-2: Armor Changing

Every once in a while you will come across a player who claims that they can take whatever armor you’re wearing and change it into another form. Usually they tell you to trade it to them. Or occasionally they’ll tell you to log and change your password to some simple word so they can log on to your account and steal it.

Example:

Not Needed

Prevention: Don’t fall for it. Log out if you can’t get rid of them. As always report them immediately.

B-3: Armor Dying

An uncommon scheme, as well as completely stupid. A scammer will claim that he or she can dye your armor using a special kind of dye. Well, there is no such thing. YOU CANNOT DYE ARMOR. It just can’t be done, kill anyone who says that they can.

Example:

Not Needed

Prevention: Don’t fall for it. Log out if you can’t get rid of them. As always report them immediately.

B-4: Armor Polishing

I have yet to see this in the actual game, but a fellow player said that a scammer once offered to polish his armor for him. You can’t actually polish armor, you cannot alter armor at all.

Example:

Not Needed

Section C: Password Scamming

C-1: Jagex Now Blocks Your Password!

Every now and then a scammer will start shouting, “Look everyone, Jagex now blocks your password! ******!” They aren’t really typing their password, it’s just an asterisk (*). Jagex does not block your password! They never will or else all you would see is ******* all the time. And if people have simple passwords like bread or coins then people can still figure it out by plugging in the word.

Example:

Scammer: (in some vibrant color) Look everyone! Jagex now blocks your password when you type it! ******! See!”

Strifewind: Oh let me try! Pizzabagels!

Strifewind: OMG! Nooooo… you little liar!

Scammer: Bye bye!

Prevention: NEVER EVER TYPE YOUR PASSWORD IN THE GAME! NEVER!

C-2: Money for Password

Another common password scam is scammers saying they will give you money for your password. It not only goes against Runescape rules, but you’ll also lose your account!

Example:

Not Needed

Prevention: NEVER EVER TYPE YOUR PASSWORD IN THE GAME! NEVER!

Last edited by Strifewind on January 17th, 2005, 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: January 17th, 2005, 6:21 pm 

Post subject: Lovely!
PostPosted: January 17th, 2005, 6:27 pm 
Chat Moderator

Location: There's a place in the world where the sun won't shine, consumed of color and depth. I'm not there. ca
RS Name: Alex 43
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: Rsbandb! All the way!
Beautiful! Explains everything, answers usual FAQs I always see around the Runescape forums, even has an index of it's own and is all nice and organized. That one gets a 10 / 10.

...well, aside from my overactive 'rate-me' self, I think it's a nice guide. How long did it take you exactly?

And a few ideas you can add:

Naggers - I enjoy getting rid of those annoying naggers by slamming a door behind them, entering a nearby guild, direct them into a favourable monster lair, or getting a little bit TOO close to the wilderness. Only when they get too confident, of course.

Armor changers - Give them bronze daggers! Simple to get and you can use them to prove he's a scammer by their either taking it and running (Penny-pinchers...) or saying 'Sorry, I can't do bronze' (Well why not? Why is it that he can so coincidently turn ONLY mithril and above into Runite?).

Too good to be true - Obviously if they are selling Runite plates or other items for less then the high-level alchemy price, there is something going on. Don't trust them like that.

Armor dyers / polishers - [This is more of a 'I'm proving my point' suggestion] Ok, I have never seen these sorts of scammers before, but if it really could be done, you'd think everyone would not want to be wearing...what I would call the 'Hippy armor'. They would change it to something cool like white or yellow. Seeing as no one ever wears it, there is no such thing (Ok, the guilded armor is a different story), so you know this has to be a scam. And the polishing...well, I've never seen a difference. I've tried a cleaning cloth on my armor a few times (Cleaning cloth is not rare, you get it from the tribesmen in the Karamja jungle) and nothing.

Ok, I'm done.

Last edited by Alex 43 on January 17th, 2005, 6:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 17th, 2005, 6:29 pm 
I dunno, a few days. I think off the top of my head. I'll pay anyone if they get me pictures. 1K per picture, and if it's exceptional, 2K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 17th, 2005, 6:41 pm 
Chat Moderator

Location: There's a place in the world where the sun won't shine, consumed of color and depth. I'm not there. ca
RS Name: Alex 43
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: Rsbandb! All the way!
Pictures, Strifewind?

Of people scamming or ways to get rid of them, or what?

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 17th, 2005, 6:47 pm 
Items mostly. And Item switches. I don't care if they're staged or not. I'll block out your names too so you won't get banned.