Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: [Informer Article] When Old Gets New, It's No Longer Old
PostPosted: December 9th, 2013, 2:29 pm 
Community Ambassador

RS Name: Lord Rickles
RS Status: P2P
When Old School RS was released (re-released?) earlier in this year, I was conflicted about how things would be handled. The debate continues to go on as we get the numbers of players and subscriptions for both the old school and modern game about what kind of impact the two games have on each other. I really don't want to focus on that. I want to go a little deeper, specifically about the size of the team and support the game would receive. While I really don't want to write articles about Old School, I feel this has an impact on the modern game, but not for the reasons a lot of people make. Just stick with me for a minute and we'll get there.

When the vote was released, there were different levels of support that the game would receive based on how many votes they received. Based on these tiers, Old School was to receive a small team for development. I'm not sure what everyone else expected, but getting brand new content certainly wasn't something that crossed my mind. When Mod Mark devoted a section of discussion about Old School's updates during Runefest, I was left scratching my head. I was under the impression that people liked things how it was and didn't want to have anything change - to be frozen in time at a great point of Runescape history so they can live in their nostalgic world and live through being a noob with nothing to leveling and scraping their way back to good standing and beyond. That's the target for 07scape - that's the niche market. That's what these people wanted... right?

Apparently I was wrong. In a series of polls, we saw the player base vote for a resupply of rares, god wars dungeon released (again, re-released is probably the better term), and various other more minor updates. Okay. I mean, I guess rares make sense, that's cool. But... God Wars? That was a major turning point in RS history - part of which, at least I believe, led to a decline in valuing skills and a hostile takeover of boss hunting taking as the main purpose of the game. As I wrote in my article last month that possibly led to the economic catastrophe that the modern game still struggles with due to the massive influx of free top tier gear worth millions - which is a heck of a lot in Old School. I understand this added a lot of fun and GWD is nostalgic with the gear of the time, but let's be real - if we continue down this path of releasing newer and newer content, won't we just keep getting to a point where we have TWO constantly updating games that are really just 5 years apart? As the player base ages, those who wanted to play like how 2008 was, and 2009, and 2010 was will just continue. It's silly, but you know what? Okay, I'm still alright with this. You can't exist in a frozen span of the game's life and expect to retain players indefinitely.

But the scale is being tipped. It's going too far. Back to Mod Mark at Runefest - they are getting brand new exclusive content to the old school game. Buh, uh, what?!

Hold up. Hooold on. Old School RS is getting new updates. OLD School is getting NEW updates. Old. New. OLD. NEW. This, heh, this really miffs me - so much, that it's making me write differently than my typical writing style! ...Let me start over.

Rooftop agility was just released and storylines presumably in the form of quests of famous NPCs are coming soon to 07scape. When I first heard this, I loved the concept, but it wasn't until I listened to the youtube post again that I realized this was going to ONLY be in Old School. Why? WHY! Sorry - almost lost it again...

This makes no sense. These are great ideas. Among my favourite quests are the story of the Wise Old Man and the Drunken Dwarf's cameo in the Red Axe series (minus the finale. I'm still upset over that!). I would love to see these in the modern game. The agility roof running featured in the Ozan quests was great and is just begging to be made into an agility course. But Old School, who doesn't even have the Ozan quests, gets 9 new agility courses and the modern game gets... Coin share changes and a functioning map that should have happened years ago. Cool.

I understand the voting for Old School. That's great. That allows the players to mould the game and take the best of the updates that they want and reject the ones they don't. It's actually kind of interesting to see how different the game could have turned out. But to give a game that is supposed to cater to the nostalgic feelings of players some brand new content, it corrodes that. It breaks that feeling down. It takes that away as new areas or updates would to added. It's counter intuitive to what the goal of Old School is.

When you look at Old School, a lot of benefits were passed along that the original vote didn't guarantee. A supposed 5 dollars extra a month was meant to maintain the servers and cover the small staff looking after it. This has been waived indefinitely. And where under 500,000 votes old promised "basic" maintenance, they are being given brand new content. If Jagex wants to make these games independent and two different dimensions, that's fine, but the Old School players should have to pay for it, it doesn't have to be 5 bucks. Whatever the cost is that's fair, whether it's another dollar or two is reasonable. Or just give access to one game or the other. But I'd say Jagex has been more than generous to Old Schoolers, and I don't know if Old School players even want this stuff. Correct me if I'm wrong!

When you add new things to an old version of something it's not old anymore. It's something new. You can have old graphics and have a new game. You can use an old engine to make a new game. Being based on something old doesn't make it old. Jagex is making a new game with Old School RS. If this is what players want, that's fine, but they should have to pay for it. But I know that there's people out there that just want to play the nostalgic, vanilla version. Jagex is ultimately going to do what makes them the most money (as they should), but if you ruin the nostalgia of the old version and only do patch level updates to your modern version, nobody will be happy.

This was originally posted as an Informer Runescape article.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: December 9th, 2013, 2:29 pm 
Community Ambassador

Post subject: Re: [Informer Article] When Old Gets New, It's No Longer Old
PostPosted: December 9th, 2013, 3:22 pm 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Firemana
Clan Name: Problem Solvers
Good article, Rickles.

One point I want to make first: OSRSr's ARE paying for it. They pay $8 for their game, just like you pay $8 for your game. OSRS plays their game, with EOC as a small perk they rarely use. EOC plays their game, with OSRS as a small perk they rarely use(mind you, OSRS doesn't get daily spins, yet).

They are running two games, which is fine. How they went about it and are going about it is not fine, however.

RS07 is being destroyed by these updates you mention. It's fine for certain modern updates to be added (little things like bank improvements, etc) but to actually add NEW content like quests and the like, even adding GWD, is NOT good.
RS07 should've been frozen in time around 2007 - this was considered by most as the 'Golden Age' of Runescape, and it's fine to have a time period devoted to this. Many people enjoyed playing during this time. There is SO MUCH content in this era, namely due to the fact that skills require work, unlike today. You couldn't get a 99 overnight. RS07 might not seem like it has much content compared to EOC, but it has TONS of playability. It took a LONG time to reach anything considered 'end game'. Being from this era you know this of course.
As an example: When I first started playing in 2004 I played hours every day. My first 99 was in 06 I believe, with another in 07. My hours per day lessened over the next few years. In 2012 I finally got my third 99. This year I've gotten... 3 or 4 already. By playing less time than previously I can still make more levels. That shows the stark difference in game play.

OSRS, however, is quickly being 'aldulterated' into something the original voters did not intend. It has been taken over by new players that, surprisingly to some, actually enjoy that type of game(further proving you don't need 'new/awesome' graphics nor a 'new & exciting' combat system to get an maintain players).

At any given time over the past few months, OSRS has accounted for 30-40% of all Runescape players, consistently. When you consider the fact that all OSRS players are members but only around 60-80% of EOC players are members, it's easy to see how OSRS is a significant portion of Jagex's income.

Now let me say this: I love that they added RS07 and totally support that because I truly feel that was Jagex's Golden day, their prime. However I do NOT approve of nor favor how they are handling it now.

I think Jagex knows they made some pretty bad blunders with EOC(not just the EOC update, but various things since the 07 Era). They are trying to fix this by building OSRS instead of admitting their faults in EOC.

I agree with you, Rickles. Old School Runescape should NOT be receiving New Updates. They should receive useful tweaks and such(not EasyWin button updates, but simple obvious changes such as Bank changes, deposit/withdraw X, etc), server maintenance, and bot control updates(that don't screw players or playability!). Actual new content should be EOC only.

Now, if Jagex really wants to run two games(as they are implying from their actions) then it needs to be labeled as such. It's fine to have RS2 and RS3, but don't label one as 'Old School' when it is clearly not.

I had written an article draft relating to this subject, might be a good month to finish it because I think it goes along well with yours.

For clarification:
'EOC' = Current RuneScape
'OSRS' = Current Old School RuneScape
'RS07' = Old School RuneScape initially and the Era of 2007 RuneScape in history.

88th Dragon Member : Informer Writer : Content Crew : Chat Moderator ::
"If it ain't broke, dun fix it."

PostPosted: December 10th, 2013, 3:29 am 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Pyrnassius
I would just like to point out one thing you mention here, Jason, that is not a fair comparison. You say all 07 players are members and only 60-80% of current game players are members; however, you fail to mention that to play 07, you MUST be a member of the current game. You cannot compare the two in this regard. As for 07 consistently having 30-40% of the players at any one time, I do believe those figures are over exaggerated. Jagex have given numbers of 20-25%, and when I look at the numbers myself, they are more in line with Jagex's figures (granted I am on in the evening in Australia, which is off peak times for the U.S.) As for the updates adding Godwars and such, I believe the players there voted for it; I am not certain of this, since I have no interest in that version of the game, but it does seem there are players there that want the best of both worlds: Give us what we demand and let us pick and choose what we want you to put in from later stages of the game, but don't add content we don't agree with.

I have no quarrel with anyone who prefers to play the 07 version of the game; we play for entertainment, and if that's what you prefer, then great, have fun and play it. I know that a lot of players in 07 are just kicking back and having fun, however, like most things, there are a vocal minority that keep demanding more and more, and this is what gets frustrating to other players. I truly think that to separate the 2 games and have 07 on different servers, with their own fees and developers and forums and such away from the current version of the game would be much better in the long run.

I am not trying to start an argument over which game is superior, or which community is better, but the sooner the 2 are treated as different games the better. While the fighting between the 2 has settled over time, arguments still flare up in some friends chats and brings both version down.

May you all have fun playing whichever version you enjoy and luck be with you.

Pyrn

PostPosted: December 10th, 2013, 9:09 pm 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Firemana
Clan Name: Problem Solvers
Pyrnassius wrote:
I would just like to point out one thing you mention here, Jason, that is not a fair comparison. You say all 07 players are members and only 60-80% of current game players are members; however, you fail to mention that to play 07, you MUST be a member of the current game. You cannot compare the two in this regard

Jasonmrc wrote:
One point I want to make first: OSRSr's ARE paying for it. They pay $8 for their game, just like you pay $8 for your game. OSRS plays their game, with EOC as a small perk they rarely use. EOC plays their game, with OSRS as a small perk they rarely use(mind you, OSRS doesn't get daily spins, yet).

I kinda figured everyone knew you must be a Runescape Member to play OSRS. Didn't seem like it was something that had to be noted each time the subject was discussed.
But to please you...
You must be a Runescape Member($8 per month) to access and play Old School RuneScape.
You don't have to be a Member to play normal Runescape, however to play more than a small demo you must be a Runescape Member($8 per month).
If you wish to just play Old School Runescape, you must pay for access to Member content for normal Runescape as well.
If you wish to just play normal Runescape, you can either do so for free or pay and become a Member, receiving the benefit of being able to play Old School Runescape as well.

I don't understand your argument, Pyrn. Please elaborate if my reply did not answer you.

Pyrnassius wrote:
As for 07 consistently having 30-40% of the players at any one time, I do believe those figures are over exaggerated. Jagex have given numbers of 20-25%, and when I look at the numbers myself, they are more in line with Jagex's figures.

Hardly ;)
You see, Jagex is sneaky. They have to be, having only a fraction of their former players. The 'Players Online' on the main page is Current RS players AND Old School players. How do I know this? Well I, as well as most of the RS population active in this discussion, figured it out within the first week of Old School. But to prove the point I double checked the figures today.

There were 45k 'Players Online' according to the main page.
There were 13k players on the Old School servers.
I logged into RS and looked at the world select and added the player counts for all the English worlds - 24k(Members and F2P worlds).
45k 'Players Online' - 24k Normal RS players = 21k
Where's that other 24k?
If we assume the two 'Players Online' counters are NOT linked, then how do we explain the missing 21k players playing normal RS? Are 21k people really playing on the German, French, Portuguese, and Spanish servers? I did not check but I highly doubt.
If we assume the two 'Players Online' counters ARE linked;
24k Normal RS + 13k OSRS = 37k total RS Players online
45k 'Players Online' - 37k total RS Players = 8k
Where's that other 8k?
It is in the German, French, Portuguese, and Spanish, which is much more reasonable than 21k.

The math just makes sense, plain and simple.
'Players Online' - Players on OSRS = Players on Normal RS.

BTW, when did Jagex say what the percents were, other then the 'Players online' counters?

Pyrnassius wrote:
I truly think that to separate the 2 games and have 07 on different servers, with their own fees and developers and forums and such away from the current version of the game would be much better in the long run.
I am not trying to start an argument over which game is superior, or which community is better, but the sooner the 2 are treated as different games the better.

Agreed. They definitely need to be treated as separate games, though the fees could be somewhat linked. Pay for one, add the other for a few bucks. It's rather rude that you have to pay for both, even if you only want to play one.

88th Dragon Member : Informer Writer : Content Crew : Chat Moderator ::
"If it ain't broke, dun fix it."

PostPosted: December 11th, 2013, 4:38 pm 
Community Ambassador

I tried to add the idea of separating the payments into the mix. Imagine that if you played Old School, you only had to pay 3 or 4 dollars a month. If you only play the modern game, around $6. For both, you pay $8. I imagine, though, that Jagex would actually lose money based on this. They like that Old School players are having to pay to support the modern game, and vice versa. It would give them far better numbers to go off of, but they would surely lose income.

Knowing that RSB&B doesn't account for a lot of OSRS players, I posted this article on Reddit's subreddit for Runescape, http://www.reddit.com/r/runescape . The responses I got were interesting. Apparently there are those that do desire the games to be separate yet receive new updates. Most people agreed that they are becoming two separate games, with Old School simply lacking the newer changes and starting fresh from a "good" time for RS. Someone brought up the stigma or distaste between the two games, and I responded with the following, which I think explains at least my feelings pretty well:
Quote:
I think you're on to something about the jealousy that people have against Old School. It's along the lines of that they are getting a greater voice because their player base is smaller. There's lots of updates I'd like to see in the modern game that I know the majority of players wouldn't like to see, and I accept that. Rs3 is filled with very different players with different playing styles. I kinda feel like because Old School is already a niche market, in that it's mostly a certain player that wants to play it, they are able to get things streamlined. So yes, there is a jealousy. Old school is catered to within certain limits whereas the modern game is along for the ride. Old school is like a utopian nation, alone on an island to rule themselves. It's cool to see as it's kind of like an experiment but it's upsetting as well. A part of me just wants it to decay Lord of the Flies style, and I guess it's because they get pandered to so much. That too much of a good thing will happen and something horrible will come along and ruin it. Then all the rs3 players can say "This is why we can't have nice things! Jagex knew what they were doing all along!"

PostPosted: December 11th, 2013, 5:38 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Duke Juker
Clan Name: Clan Quest
I agree with you Rickles on the oddity of it. It is strange that they would bring back OSRS and then update it with new stuff...even with stuff than not even EoC has. But as was mentioned, people do pay to play OSRS, and the updates they get are not as numerous as EoC. EoC is still the main game and we see lots of updates. I don't think the fact that OSRS receives updates is a huge cause for upset or unrest.

I think if they were going to bring have OSRS, they should have left it as was. Untouched. Bring back rares, sure, but don't bring back anything that doesn't belong or introduce anything new. People wanted it back for a reason. They didn't necessarily want it to develop like the main game. But hey, give the people what they want, right Jagex? If they want new old, give them new old!

82nd Dragon Member since 05/12/2010
RSBandB Member #517
Current Activities: Ports, Dailies/Monthlies, DXP
Skill Masteries: Firemaking, Cooking, Woodcutting, Fletching, Mining, Agility, Prayer, Smithing, Fishing, Summoning, Construction, Herblore, Hunter, Thieving, Crafting, Divination, Dungeoneering, Farming, Runecrafting, Slayer, Magic, Ranged, Defence, Constitution, Attack, Strength, Invention & 1st Max (3/9/19), Archaeology & 2nd Max (4/16/21), 200m Firemaking, Necromancy

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: December 11th, 2013, 5:38 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

PostPosted: December 11th, 2013, 7:24 pm 
Community Ambassador

Will we get a re-release of Old School a few years from now with all the content they added removed if players ask for it? It's that kind of level of hilarity where catering to players can go too far.

PostPosted: December 11th, 2013, 7:34 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Comp Sci
Clan Name: W48 Stalkers
Lord Rickles wrote:
Knowing that RSB&B doesn't account for a lot of OSRS players, I posted this article on Reddit's subreddit for Runescape

/r/runescape isn't very OSRS-heavy either, I was actually very surprised at how constructive the comments were compared to the usual RS3 vs OSRS banter.

PostPosted: December 11th, 2013, 7:38 pm 
Community Ambassador

You're right, but I know there's a broader range of players there and I like it as a measuring stick, if only for differing opinions. And yes, I'm surprised of the nature of comments as well - it helps to be positive and constructive yourself, which I tried to do!

PostPosted: December 13th, 2013, 5:02 am 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Pyrnassius
Lord Rickles wrote:
Will we get a re-release of Old School a few years from now with all the content they added removed if players ask for it? It's that kind of level of hilarity where catering to players can go too far.

Groundhog Day, Jagex style