Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: [Informer Article] "The Drop" Event
PostPosted: January 26th, 2015, 8:02 am 
Mithril Member

RS Name: Mr Bistro
RS Status: P2P
RuneScapes "The Drop" in game event is one of the first major events Jagex has attempted using Twitch and in game activity. Being someone that is familiar with both Twitch and YouTube content I feel that this was a fantastic step for the crew over at Jagex. It seems that since around 2006, the company has really come out of its shell and worked and played with the community. That only seems to be a growing trend now in the addition to RuneLabs, and last year's player driven content idea of the poll system.
This update really felt like it was harking back to the days of the Summer Triumvirate. This was a series of updates that was Jagex lead that allowed players to pick sides and fight for their team doing multiple events across Runescape in the summer of 2011.

The Drop was an event update that integrated the Twitch channel with RuneScape. It's worth noting that a player didn't need to be watching the stream to play even though it was the focus of the event. Players entered a room where they would stand on platforms and answer questions as they came up. After each question, people that got the questions wrong were out, and those who got it right jumped to the next platform. This would continue till there is one player left.
The questions worked on a timer, there would be so much time to pick an answer. Then the drop would happen, and the Moderators at Jagex would set up the next question, meanwhile, anyone that dropped out could still see the game drop the balcony above and I thought that was a nice mechanic though potentially putting a little more strain on the server than necessary.
Some of the rounds had a buy in, where they would gamble with their knowledge on 1 million GP to potentially make it all the way and win up to 500 million GP. I personally felt this was a fun idea. For the lore hounds of the game it really gave them a chance to stand out. I am personally not the biggest lore hound but over the years I have come to appreciate the (reworked) RuneScape lore. The thing I liked about this event is that it harked all the way back to some of the first quests I ever played and asked some interesting questions like "who was the demon in the demon slayer quest?" Just a great series of questions for this event!

The event for the most part went smoothly. However, I am not going to leave out the w66 riot that happened afterward. Some people were involved in server crashes on buy in games and this led to the players losing their money. This created a backlash that led to people once again rioting in w66 Falador. Now I may not be paying much attention to the riots in that world these days but I don't think there has been one in quite some time.
What people need to realize is that the game is not perfect nor is the hardware that is being used to run it. When the servers go down, it was not a scam, it was just bad luck. Jagex could choose to refund the money to the people that were still in the game, or they could let it be. What they should have done was shard the world for the game so the server wouldn't be holding unnecessary players thus allowing less strain to their hardware. I think that this riot was a completely ridiculous act from the player base that only once again shows why Jagex has to try so hard to make sure people don't lose items.
The riot can pretty much sum up why the wilderness is still dying today. Players don't want to lose their items no matter how fair or not. The mentality of losing and taking risks seems to have nearly disappeared.

I play this game because I feel that it is fun, and taking risks is the one thing that gets my heart pumping a little faster and makes the game feel like a rush. The same mentality should have been on everyone's mind for The Drop update. Either a server crash or a failed question, the result is the same and should have been respected.
In the future I would like to see similar Twitch based events such as a Duel Arena tournament or a Dominion Tower event that everyone can play together and compete in.
I hope that Jagex tries this event or one similar to it again as it seems like a fantastic time. The positive reaction of the player base cannot be ignored. This was a fantastic update!

This was originally posted as an Informer Runescape article.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: January 26th, 2015, 8:02 am 
Mithril Member

Post subject: Re: [Informer Article]
PostPosted: January 26th, 2015, 10:06 am 
Adamantite Member

RS Name: Its Arceus
RS Status: F2P
You seem to have a more rosy perspective on this event than other people I've talked to, which is interesting. One has to admit though, it doesn't shine a very positive spotlight on Jagex when they try this sort of thing for the first time, promote it up on their website, and hoard everyone in Twitch, only to have it fail so hard that they have to cancel the event. I'm not sure how smooth it was when 1 round worked and the other didn't. 50% could definitely be improved upon. Further, the PR was botched on top of it - they could have at least told people clearly that their in-game GP would be refunded.

Jagex has acquired somewhat of a reputation for hosting these events and overwhelming their own servers with lag. Every time they have an event where JMods are present to help do something, it seems like they have consistently either underestimated the number of attendees (which I find doubtful) or perhaps overestimated their server capabilities, or simply shrugged it off and said "good enough."

What they should really do is integrate the questions directly into Twitch somehow either as a replacement or in addition, and have the accompanying in-game visuals as cosmetic instead. That way, if the game lags, you miss an animation instead of having your chances foiled by a bad connection.

PostPosted: January 26th, 2015, 11:23 pm 

RS Name: Lord Earth
Clan Name: Clan Quest
Arceus wrote:
You seem to have a more rosy perspective on this event than other people I've talked to, which is interesting. One has to admit though, it doesn't shine a very positive spotlight on Jagex when they try this sort of thing for the first time, promote it up on their website, and hoard everyone in Twitch, only to have it fail so hard that they have to cancel the event.

They were DDoS'd

Arceus wrote:
they could have at least told people clearly that their in-game GP would be refunded.

Mod Ramen/Kyle tweeted it, and I'm sure it was posted on the forums somewhere

Arceus wrote:
Jagex has acquired somewhat of a reputation for hosting these events and overwhelming their own servers with lag. Every time they have an event where JMods are present to help do something, it seems like they have consistently either underestimated the number of attendees (which I find doubtful) or perhaps overestimated their server capabilities, or simply shrugged it off and said "good enough."

Shane/Paul, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this have to do more with limitations of the game engine itself, not the servers? See: World 2 GE circa 2009.

Arceus wrote:
What they should really do is integrate the questions directly into Twitch somehow either as a replacement or in addition, and have the accompanying in-game visuals as cosmetic instead. That way, if the game lags, you miss an animation instead of having your chances foiled by a bad connection.

Hmm...
I still think a 1 vs 100 model like Microsoft ran on Xbox LIVE would be the best way to do it...

Global Moderator since August 25, 2014 18:30:29

PostPosted: January 27th, 2015, 12:25 pm 
Adamantite Member

Ah I see, well too bad that they were DDoS'd. That seems to be happening a lot lately with servers.

Also I am aware that they tweeted and whatnot but wasn't it the following day? Not like an hour later. It's good that they managed to return the money though.

PostPosted: January 27th, 2015, 1:13 pm 

Arceus wrote:
Also I am aware that they tweeted and whatnot but wasn't it the following day? Not like an hour later. It's good that they managed to return the money though.

The event started at 8 PM GMT on Sunday, January 18th. That tweet I linked was posted at 9:20 PM GMT on Sunday, January 18th, just over an hour later.

PostPosted: January 28th, 2015, 6:48 am 
Adamantite Member

Weird, it shows up as a different timestamp to me, but okay, that's reasonable then. People didn't have any real reason to start rioting...

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: January 28th, 2015, 6:48 am 
Adamantite Member

PostPosted: January 28th, 2015, 8:20 am 

Arceus wrote:
Weird, it shows up as a different timestamp to me, but okay, that's reasonable then.

I converted ;)

Arceus wrote:
People didn't have any real reason to start rioting...

When do they ever? :roll: