Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
How would you rate this update out of 5?
5 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
5 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
4 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
4 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
3 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
3 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
2 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
2 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
1 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
1 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
Total votes: 6
 Post subject: 22-Nov-2011 - Anti-Gold-Farming Measures
PostPosted: November 22nd, 2011, 6:14 am 
Site Owner

RS Name: mike12088
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: Bits and Bytes
RuneScape.com wrote:
Anti-Gold-Farming Measures

Today sees the latest in our series of initiatives to stamp out botting, gold farming and dishonest play in RuneScape.

It’s a sad fact that the vast majority of gold farming activity takes place in the free game, where it is possible to create disposable accounts that can be used to generate in-game money and send it on for illicit real-world trade in defiance of our rules. Today’s measures will reduce the effectiveness of this practice by a factor of 100, to show these people once and for all that ruining your game is not only unacceptable, but also a waste of their time.

From today onwards, newly created free to play accounts will be subject to a number of trade limitations, consisting of:
  • New free-to-play accounts can only give away gold coins or items, or make a trade with an imbalance in the recipient’s favour, to the value of 25000 coins per 24 hours. This limitation also applies to drop trades.
  • New free-to-play accounts can make Duel Arena bets with no greater imbalance than 25000 coins per 24 hours.
  • We have also made a change to Wilderness PvP, where noted items will only appear to the original carrier when dropped upon death; not the killer. This affects all accounts – not just ones subject to the limitations above.

The last thing we want is to make trading difficult for our long-standing and bustling free-to-play community, so existing free-to-play accounts will be unaffected. What’s more, there is no limit to the value of gifts that can be received by a new free-to-play account, so there’s nothing to stop a new player from receiving a helping hand from a high-levelled friend. Needless to say, balanced trades between players are not a problem, either.

The limitations will remain in effect until the affected account purchases membership. Subscribing will remove these restrictions permanently, even if the subscription later ends and is not renewed.

These measures are a decisive next blow in our ongoing battle against botting and gold farming. We are fully committed to stamping out this insidious form of cheating to ensure you the fair game experience that you deserve.

Mark Gerhard
CEO & CTO

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: November 22nd, 2011, 6:14 am 
Site Owner

Post subject: Re: 22-Nov-2011 - Anti-Gold-Farming Measures
PostPosted: November 22nd, 2011, 6:57 am 
Cleverly Disguised Spammer

RS Name: Piratesock
Clan Name: The Mushroom Pirate Federation
Quote:
to show these people once and for all that ruining your game is not only unacceptable, but also a waste of their time.

And who's doing the better job at that i wonder. You or the botters.

I could perhaps understand this sort of a move up untill i saw this bit;

Quote:
The limitations will remain in effect until the affected account purchases membership. Subscribing will remove these restrictions permanently, even if the subscription later ends and is not renewed.

Now i see what it's really all about. It's ok to cheat in your game as long as they pay first. Why not just put a cap dependent on the length of time they've played? If i was to farm gold taking a £3 hit on a months membership is a lot more cost effective than having to create an account and wait a month for trade restrictions to be lifted from said account.

I call BS.

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2011, 9:52 am 

RS Name: j1j2j3
i bet everybody assume that it would be a time period. such as you have to play at least 500 hours before the limitation wears off. if they want an extra 7 bucks, they might as well just say it.

the limitation until membership is stupid.

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2011, 2:34 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Biscuit
Quote:
From today onwards, newly created free to play accounts will be subject to a number of trade limitations, consisting of:
New free-to-play accounts can only give away gold coins or items, or make a trade with an imbalance in the recipient’s favour, to the value of 25000 coins per 24 hours. This limitation also applies to drop trades.
New free-to-play accounts can make Duel Arena bets with no greater imbalance than 25000 coins per 24 hours.
We have also made a change to Wilderness PvP, where noted items will only appear to the original carrier when dropped upon death; not the killer. This affects all accounts – not just ones subject to the limitations above.

Jagex really haven't thought this through to be honest. They haven't realized that there is about 80 million+ accounts out there and people can just use/sell their unused f2p accounts so that Goldfarmers can keep trading and storing money on different accounts (because obviously this doesn't affect old accounts just accounts created after the update date (11-22-2011)). It's such rash decision because Jagex didn't think about the fact that probably 90% of the population have one if not multiple inactive f2p accounts just lying around. And there's still the fact that they can just make the account members and use it for goldfarming because at the end of the month the profit they'll bring in will be more than what they paid for the membership cost.

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2011, 11:38 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Duke Juker
Clan Name: Clan Quest
Ugh. Pretty stupid. You guys have already said what I would say. Just another thing to limit F2P even further and make membership look more lucrative. I suppose it will help in the long run. Still, it sucks for new legitimate players. Doubt this affects grand exchange trading, though. This seems like only direct trading. So you could still just bot and go through the grand exchange if I'm reading this correctly. Again, I'll believe it when I see it. If this lasts through next year, then I'll believe it has changed for good.

82nd Dragon Member since 05/12/2010
RSBandB Member #517
Current Activities: Ports, Dailies/Monthlies, DXP
Skill Masteries: Firemaking, Cooking, Woodcutting, Fletching, Mining, Agility, Prayer, Smithing, Fishing, Summoning, Construction, Herblore, Hunter, Thieving, Crafting, Divination, Dungeoneering, Farming, Runecrafting, Slayer, Magic, Ranged, Defence, Constitution, Attack, Strength, Invention & 1st Max (3/9/19), Archaeology & 2nd Max (4/16/21), 200m Firemaking, Necromancy

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2011, 11:57 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Skype Jay
RS Status: F2P
What do you mean by going through the grand exchange? Like putting a ridiculously high offer on an item and hoping you buy from the intended account?

It's not that you can only buy or sell up to 25k value every 24 hours, it is imbalances. So you can't give away 25K or receive 25k of value for "free". If you are trading everything for market prices you're fine though. So you can trade 500M worth of iron for 500M with the restrictions, but if you want to trade it for 1 gp under market price, you will only be able to sell 25000 ores every 24 hours (in trade not ge). Want to sell it 5gp over market? Then you will only be able to trade 5000 ores every 24 hours. etc. Want to give it away? Assuming it is 100 gp ea, you can only give away (or receive) 250 ores every 24 hours.
Those restrictions wouldn't make sense on the GE because it doesn't matter if you're giving out/receiving value by buying/selling lower/higher than the exact market price, as it is pretty impossible to make sure it buy/sells to the person you intend (who you are buying or selling gold with or the account that holds all the money). Especially when limited to the F2P item selection.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: November 23rd, 2011, 11:57 am 
Rsbandb Donor

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2011, 12:16 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Duke Juker
Clan Name: Clan Quest
No. What I mean is "So what you can't trade." You can still bot on your own account and put your goods on the Grand Exchange no problem. If I'm not mistaken I heard that when free trade was gone, people would give their accounts to a company or someone else to play it for them to simply get up the gold, levels, or whatever before giving it back. This update is either going to force more people to buy members or to make people go to this practice.

I agree the trade restriction does what it's supposed to do, but that doesn't carry over the the grand exchange either which could become problematic.

82nd Dragon Member since 05/12/2010
RSBandB Member #517
Current Activities: Ports, Dailies/Monthlies, DXP
Skill Masteries: Firemaking, Cooking, Woodcutting, Fletching, Mining, Agility, Prayer, Smithing, Fishing, Summoning, Construction, Herblore, Hunter, Thieving, Crafting, Divination, Dungeoneering, Farming, Runecrafting, Slayer, Magic, Ranged, Defence, Constitution, Attack, Strength, Invention & 1st Max (3/9/19), Archaeology & 2nd Max (4/16/21), 200m Firemaking, Necromancy

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2011, 1:54 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Skype Jay
RS Status: F2P
Well these measures were "designed" to stop gold farming on multiple throwaway accounts at once and then transferring to one account to sell the gold. Not to stop botting. Not to make it impossible to make money on new accounts in f2p. You can still bot on your account and sell your goods through trade no problem if you're selling for the market price too.
I don't understand why bringing the restriction to the GE as well is going to do anything but make it so you can't make money on a new f2p account... which wasn't what they were trying to limit.

Having someone play or bot on your account to get you money is a lot less efficient than farming the gold on multiple accounts at once and then transferring it to one account and then selling it. But yeah that was like the only option after free trade removed and it wasn't like the solution to it since powerleveling has been around forever anyways. But they didn't implement these changes because people were buying money to kick start new accounts in F2P or something so paying people to make money on your account isn't what they were targeting with this.

(editDunno what I was on about limits on receiving items since it doesn't say it XD oops)