Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: The Grand Exchange: Economy Crash?
PostPosted: November 16th, 2007, 8:06 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Besadon
RS Status: Classic
Do you think that The Grand Exchange will cause an economy crash? Will the price of items go up, or down, or will it just get rid of someone standing in a bank yelling "S311IN 24454 AIR RUNES!"

I personally think nothing will happen to the economy, but it will definetly get rid of a lot of those annoying autotypers.

Discuss.

"War is cruelty. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over."
-- WT Sherman

Check out my recently realized talent in blogging.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: November 16th, 2007, 8:06 pm 
Runite Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 16th, 2007, 8:58 pm 

RS Name: Silverwiz9
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: RsbandbStaff
Personally, I can't wait till it gets released...However, I do think it will impact some aspects of the economy. I do believe that it will cause quite a few of the autotypers, and the people who just spam "bank sale".

The major impacts in the economy will be f2p, just because of the large autoer population. Theoretically, willow and yew prices will drop, as well as whatever fish macros prefer. I think it'll take a few weeks for the autoer programs to be updated, but the gold farmers will probably be using it the first day. As such, dragon bones may increase or decrease in price; same with all hides. Treasure trail items that are "rare" will probably decrease in price, which should allow quite a few people to stock up and fill their God books and fill up their treasure chests, supposing that's what they want to do.

Given the easy access to this system, I'd also expect a dramatic decrease in the amount of players selling items in world 1/2. Even though these worlds will probably never die, I doubt many people will go there for simple things anymore. Only time will tell if this is true...But it shouldn't be more than a week until we can check some of these possibilities :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 16th, 2007, 10:03 pm 
Dragon Member

RS Name: LEWentworth
Clan Name: SCCM friends
get rid of someone standing in a bank yelling "S311IN 24454 AIR RUNES!" I think this will work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 16th, 2007, 11:55 pm 
Adamantite Member

RS Name: Braaron58
Clan Name: Ancient Guardians
WHat about the forums, this will completely destroy the economy ofthose who wish to use the forums instead...anything could ahppena fter this...

Snorlax pwns all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 17th, 2007, 1:40 am 
Runite Member

Location: In Jan's fortress creating another poison weapon of mass destruction. fi
RS Name: janne833
hmm, we must just wait and wait....then we'll see....

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 17th, 2007, 6:02 am 
Adamantite Member

RS Name: Huitzi
Clan Name: Masors
The range of the prices will get smaller I guess since selling in bulk won't be profitable any more. You just buy a lot of cheap small packs instead of one big one without losing a lot of time looking for sellers. A huge problem for people relying on merchanting, but good for small sellers and big buyers.
Although people with huge piles of money will have the opportunity to get rich very fast because they can buy and sell very fast, just like in the stockmarket. It all depends on the complexity of the system though: you need to be able to sort by amouth/price etc. to make it work.

A lot of people have stuff in their bank they are willing to sell but never had the time to do it. So I guess the prices will fall dramatically the first few days the system starts.

-Oscar Wilde

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: November 17th, 2007, 6:02 am 
Adamantite Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 17th, 2007, 6:54 am 
Rsbandb Donor

The Great Exchange will simply make supply much easier. Thus the price will drop for a while. The problem is that yews don't hinge on how easy they are to sell, just like most resources in F2P. What is likely to happen is a major drop in prices of yews, coal, etc...as the autoers flood that market with their huge supplies. Then after a few months these resources will start to rice again as the price is no longer worth the trouble and regular players stop playing and autoers become scares. Eventually, baring any jagex intervention, the system will actually level out at around todays prices sometime in the future, we are probably looking at 6 to 8 months. We'll have to wait and see it might move faster or slower then that, but I think it is a really bad Idea for the game...but hey, I'm going to take advantage if I can. Buy up 50k coal for 100 each... or 100k lobbies for cooking 99 at 100 each...who knows the possibilities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 17th, 2007, 7:02 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Kangas Khan
Clan Name: MaSoRs
The main problem is that the Grand Exchange gets rid of the time and trouble required to get into trading worlds. Thus supply will be much higher and, with the possibility of a "sort by price" function, cheapest items will be able to be found a lot more quickly than having to scour the forums and world 2 for the lowest and best deals.

What will happen is the more popular items, such as Yews and Coal, like Christopher stated above, will be sold a lot quicker, as both F2P and P2P markets will be together, and as both of these markets currently have different prices, all sorts of things could happen. F2Pers might take advantage of it and up their price to P2P value, or P2P buyers will only buy the items at the F2P value. I'm sure we'll see a lot of fluctuation in the more common items but with other things like Dragonfire Shields and God Swords, we'll see next to no difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 17th, 2007, 8:44 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Kirbiy
I think this will be the best update yet. Although I won't be going into the RuneScape forums for about a month. Everyone will be saying: Runescape is dying! The economy has crashed! I am quitting Rs because of the Grand Exchange.

I think people need to stop being so stupid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 17th, 2007, 9:19 am 
Cleverly Disguised Spammer

RS Name: Piratesock
Clan Name: The Mushroom Pirate Federation
For a skiller like myself, someone who despised buying or selling anything because of the complete and utter morons in this game that have ruined it to the point where doing such a simple task is tedious and annoying because they can't seem to read and wind up offering you crap.

This is a blessing and nothing bad can possibly come of it. I don't care if prices go up or down. First thing i'll be doing is dumping up a crap load of stuff I've wanted to sell over the years but couldn't be bothered. Probably slightly over priced just to take advantage of the new system and see how far i can push it.

Then live life happy cause i can quickly and easily buy resources and things that i need with little effort. Providing jagex does this right.

They could mess this right up..but they'd have to be complete idiots to do it. Just let me put items up, let me set the price and then just transfer the money into my bank and notifie me the moment somethings been brought. Easy. Simple. Stress free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 17th, 2007, 1:21 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: r3dmayne
Clan Name: I iz a free agent lolz :D
Its a pretty good idea to since you don't have to world hop from one place to another anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 17th, 2007, 3:03 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

CreepyPirate wrote:
For a skiller like myself, someone who despised buying or selling anything because of the complete and utter morons in this game that have ruined it to the point where doing such a simple task is tedious and annoying because they can't seem to read and wind up offering you crap.

This is a blessing and nothing bad can possibly come of it. I don't care if prices go up or down. First thing i'll be doing is dumping up a crap load of stuff I've wanted to sell over the years but couldn't be bothered. Probably slightly over priced just to take advantage of the new system and see how far i can push it.

Then live life happy cause i can quickly and easily buy resources and things that i need with little effort. Providing jagex does this right.

They could mess this right up..but they'd have to be complete idiots to do it. Just let me put items up, let me set the price and then just transfer the money into my bank and notifie me the moment somethings been brought. Easy. Simple. Stress free.

So you don't think the massive autoer population being able to sink all those hundreds of thousands of yews, coal, and lobbies...will have any effect on the game. I can see yews, lobbies, and coal at 50 gp each.

I think there is a very, very real potential for the great exchange to seriously hurt Runescape. With those massive price deflations...you will have people with a few million getting 99 in everything from fm to cooking to smithing...I can see some real harm in that because that is an inflation in stats...that that would make the game very little fun very fast if everyone has 99s.

I don't think it takes as much to screw this up as you thing. Many games like WOW started out with exchanges and have a lot of safeguards against autoers.

Of course as Anubis said it could swing the other way and have more people trying to max out their skills making more demand...but I find with highly unlikely with all the excess resources running around in RS.

I guess we will have to wait and see.

P.S. Did Diablo 2 have a huge problem with crashing economies from autoers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 17th, 2007, 3:41 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Wolf Solo
Clan Name: Keepers of Yggdrasil
I cant wait for it. It will make my life much easier.

Bad and good things we will have to see how the autoers move with this and how fast. Market forums will surely die tho.

And very happy I wont have to see people selling stuff all the time in banks and spamming the chat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 17th, 2007, 8:26 pm 
Cleverly Disguised Spammer

RS Name: Piratesock
Clan Name: The Mushroom Pirate Federation
Christopher wrote:
CreepyPirate wrote:

So you don't think the massive autoer population being able to sink all those hundreds of thousands of yews, coal, and lobbies...will have any effect on the game. I can see yews, lobbies, and coal at 50 gp each.

I think there is a very, very real potential for the great exchange to seriously hurt Runescape. With those massive price deflations...you will have people with a few million getting 99 in everything from fm to cooking to smithing...I can see some real harm in that because that is an inflation in stats...that that would make the game very little fun very fast if everyone has 99s.

I don't think it takes as much to screw this up as you thing. Many games like WOW started out with exchanges and have a lot of safeguards against autoers.

Of course as Anubis said it could swing the other way and have more people trying to max out their skills making more demand...but I find with highly unlikely with all the excess resources running around in RS.

I guess we will have to wait and see.

P.S. Did Diablo 2 have a huge problem with crashing economies from autoers?

Cheaper for me is going to be good. I don't sell this stuff. Ever.

On the positive side, it'll probably be easier to monitor trades and whats going on through this system and help crack down a bit more. Either way, autoers are already flooding the market, it's in there best interest to keep prices at a reasonably high price otherwise what would be the point if there making little profit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 17th, 2007, 11:14 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

You bring up a good point creepy, Rationally autoers should keep prices up like everyone else. However, in a crash it is well known that rational ceases to exist...people panic, which can cause irreparable harm. I don't know everything, but I know if the economy crashes in RS...there will be a lot of disgruntled players...and I know with the attention span of most RS players...that is likely to cause many to leave.

Also, yes if enough autoers and player leave and stop wcing because of low prices...the prices will come back up again...but the economy of RS may also be half its size...I don't know like I said it is all speculation at this point.