Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: GOTY Thread
PostPosted: November 30th, 2014, 9:52 pm 
Bronze Member

RS Status: Never Played
Didn't really see a thread up that was like this, so I thought I would start one.

Wanting to see what people's GOTY's were, what with so many games people weren't expecting to be good this year, so many we knew were good, and so many let downs.

My list isn't too big, but I really did enjoy so many games this year.

7. Titanfall

Gonna get a lot of flack for this. I REALLY enjoy titanfall. There is definitely a lack of content in this game without a doubt. What it does do with the content it has though is pretty interesting. It was the first shooter in ages I played that actually took advantage of the manueverability capabilities a lot of shooters miss. Definitely a lot of fun to pop this one in and just veg out.

Pros:

+ Free Updates from EA.

+ Customizability of pilots

+ Well designed maps

+Maneuverability as a key feature

Cons:

- Lackluster Season Pass

-Lack of single player campaign

Traditional Rating: 7.7/10.

6. Dark Souls 2

Dark Souls is a le hidden gem for a reason. RPG aspects with amazing combat, that is all built up in challenging core mechanics and lore you have to uncover yourself. For the most part, dark souls 2 is good..... though not as good as Souls 1. The single player for the most part is ok, some hitboxes are a bit broken through my first run. The PVP as it stood during my playthrough had balancing issues galore, what with faith builds, etc. In addition, the game is very clearly a console port, but it runs like buddah on rigs and it still looks decent. All in all, this game was fun, and that was what mattered. Fun, but completely aggravating, like drinking a liter of hot sauce

Pros:

+Not a terrible port like DS1

+ Combat like any souls game

+challenginging core mechanics

+Controller Support

+Hours of Fun

Cons:

-broken hitboxes and lackluster pvp

-too many swarms

Traditional Rating: 8.1/10

5. Middle Earth: Shadows of Mordor

Let me start this one off by stating the obvious: this game is not hard, and incredibly easy. But that's not a problem. My one gripe with this game is how short it is for an open world game. Essentially, you play as a ranger of Gondor who is tied to a wraith who was tied to one of the lesser rings of Mordor. You get te powers of both as you progress through the game; elven speed, and whatever the hell rangers do that is special besides tracking capabilities.

The mechanics are pretty interesting, as the traversing is similar to assassin's creed, the combat is like arkham asylum, and the powers are something from some kind of superhero video game. While the story isn't actually grabbing, the lore, as expected from a LoTR fanfiction is somewhat interesting. The nemesis system, while I found it cool at first, just spawns and infinite number of uruk over time so past the playtrhough it becomes murder simulator 2014.

Pros:

+ Combat

+ Lore

+ Open World RPG esque

+ Lots to do

Neutral:

+/-Nemesis System.

Cons:

A tad too short

Traditional Rating: 8.3/10

4. Binding of Isaac Rebirth

Heh. This is a fantastic game really. I can't really review something like this because it's a remake, but a remake that far outstrips the original in everyway. Although it's flash esque, the amount of time you spend in this dungeon crawler is going to be worth every penny.

My only qualm is also a pro: every run will be different. That means that awesome isaac you build will be crushed by some ******* isaac in your next run.

Traditional Rating: 8.5/10.

3. Mario Kart 8

It's mario. He's on a golf kart killing people with homing turtle shells. But it's honestly more enjoyable then the wii version.

1080p, 60fps and it's absolutely gorgeous, even the art direction. A larger cast, a ton to unlock, good online and amazing dlc packs all round up into one epic ball of fun. Even the ability to upload to youtube (although the feature isn't perfect.)

Just don't read miiverse or play battle mode

Pros:

+ Mario Kart

+ Cool art direction, you go upside down and stuff

+ Limitless gameplay

+good dlc

+smegh replay function allowing youtube uploads

+fun for the whole family, so fun your entire family will hate you

Cons:

- Battle mode is terrible

-replay function is a bit broken

Traditional Rating: 8.7/10

2. Master Chief Collection

Don't own this one, but played a bit with Earth. Again, like MK8, it's not anything new but it does what Halo has always done well with, because that's what it is, it's most of the best of Halo with a buttery frame rate and better visuals. Although it did struggle with some early release stuff, most of the issues have been patched out. Nothing BF4 sized. My only real issue is forge itself is boring as hell.

Pros:

+ ton of content

+ gorgeous

+ Halo

+ 1th

Cons:

-1th

-Forge is bollicks

Traditional Rating: 9/10.

And finally, the only goty that works

1. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U.

For the first time, i am glad I don't have to say this game is just like brawl. Sweet sweet release. No tripping. No terribad online. No more 480p videos. No more playing on a CRT to counter frame delay.

The roster is huge, even bigger then brawl, with 40 characters you will never play because ZSS is straight gorgy. Genetic abomination Psychic Barney is even on his way as DLC soon. In addition, the list of features includes

-8 man smash

- all the gamemodes from brawl (no story mdoe :,()

-Glorious hitstun. Finally.

-No frame delay

- Enough counter picks this time to avoid using brinstar as a cp for 3 years

-Amiibos are smegh, but not needed so I can't complain

- Matchmaking!.... sorta.

My only real issue with the game itself is smash tour is kinda stupid.

(note: don't own the game yet but played it.)

Pros:

+Not Brawl

+ All the stuff above

Cons:

-Not melee (#banthisgame)

-Smash Tour is awful.

Traditional Rating: 9.5/10 2nd best smash bros so far.

Leader of RA Smash Clan, member of Equinox Smash Crew.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: November 30th, 2014, 9:52 pm 
Bronze Member

Post subject: Re: GOTY Thread
PostPosted: November 30th, 2014, 10:43 pm 

RS Name: Lord Earth
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: Clan Quest
Apathy wrote:
7. Titanfall

Gonna get a lot of flack for this. I REALLY enjoy titanfall. There is definitely a lack of content in this game without a doubt.

Compare that to the amount of content that was in it when released. Respawn added all of that content in for free :)

I think that the Game of the Year is hands down Goat Simulator.

Global Moderator since August 25, 2014 18:30:29

PostPosted: December 1st, 2014, 7:40 am 
Bronze Member

RS Status: Never Played
Earth wrote:
Apathy wrote:
7. Titanfall

Gonna get a lot of flack for this. I REALLY enjoy titanfall. There is definitely a lack of content in this game without a doubt.

Compare that to the amount of content that was in it when released. Respawn added all of that content in for free :)

I think that the Game of the Year is hands down Goat Simulator.

How can it be goty when it is already the GOAT?

Leader of RA Smash Clan, member of Equinox Smash Crew.

PostPosted: December 21st, 2014, 2:50 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: RRman Nz
War Thunder, Great stuff, still a beta so I count it :P

PostPosted: January 11th, 2015, 4:07 pm 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Uncle Dano
Clan Name: Knights of Honour
The RRman wrote:
War Thunder, Great stuff, still a beta so I count it :P

Ooooh Yeah! Been playing War Thunder since I got my new PC. I love the Tank Arcade. Fantastic game! My name on War Thunder is of course: Uncle_Dano. Add me RRman. And, anyone else.

Web: Uncle Dano's RS Wiki | RS Hiscores: Uncle Dano

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Forum Index » Off-Topic » Non-RuneScape Discussion » Gaming » GOTY Thread Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]