Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
How should skills be chosen?
Let Fred choose, keep them random. 29%  29%  [ 28 ]
Let Fred choose, keep them random. 29%  29%  [ 28 ]
Alternate between winner's, public, and random choice. 21%  21%  [ 20 ]
Alternate between winner's, public, and random choice. 21%  21%  [ 20 ]
Total votes: 96
 Post subject: Re: June SKOTM and The Future
PostPosted: May 26th, 2010, 12:26 pm 
Cleverly Disguised Spammer

RS Name: Piratesock
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: The Mushroom Pirate Federation
I want to know which 9 voted the other option. Don't think your vote should count unless you write down the bloody reasoning for your vote. :roll:

Whats the point of putting it up for discussion if one side refuses to talk.

edit; While I'm here I'd like to make my own suggestion. We still run SKOTY right? We set that up originally to keep people interested and keep them motivated to train even if some guy in front is 1mill exp ahead so how about we make that a bit more interesting and trackable by making it a points system.

Like whoever comes first gets 3 points, second gets 2 and third, fourth, fifth and sixth all get 1 point. Everybody else gets nuffin. Stick it on a highscore or something so people can see how there competing over the year.

You get the idea..something like that.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: May 26th, 2010, 12:26 pm 

PostPosted: May 26th, 2010, 4:38 pm 
Site Owner

RS Name: shane12088
That's an interesting idea in relation to points. The points would have to be retro-active through 2010. Definitely something to think about.

And as for why I proposed the other option, variety. If someone is going to have the ability to choose the skill it creates more incentive to win. It also creates less incentive to tie, through more competition. The public choice option would be good because at the end of the day, we're a community, it's your competition! So wouldn't you like a bit more say in what skill it is?

The F2P equation really doesn't come in to play here because the vast majority of our community members are pay subscribers. 4 months of the year would still be random. That's 1/3, probably more than the percentage of our community that's F2P. 9 of 25 skills are members which is 36%, meaning that 64% are F2P. That means that there should be at least one free to play skill chosen every 4 months. With these figures there are 12,650 possible ways that 4 skills could be chosen. There are 1,820 possible ways to choose 4 skills in which they'd all be F2P, meaning there's a 14.4% chance that all skills would be F2P in that time period. So I don't see what F2P is worried about seeing as you'd get at least 2 if not 3 skills F2P. Maybe even all 4, those odds are decent.

Also as for a group of people dominating the public choice, that's unlikely. Everyone would vote, the votes would be hidden. Also with winner's choice keep in mind it's only one winners choice then back to the alternates. These choices would all be subject to the same three month rule.

So I really don't see why keeping it random is so beneficial.

PostPosted: May 26th, 2010, 9:34 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Tim2
RS Status: Retired
Clan Name: Bits and Bytes
I'd rather keep it random because then I don't need to do that much work at the end of the month. :P Considering I'm like 4m over my last SKOTY total I want to slow down and train other skills that aren't the SKOTM skills but really only do the SKOTMs that I want to win in so I can win back to back SKOTYs.

Right now I am only in the SKOTMs to win (or try my best to win :P) but I really need to stop doing that. If I were able to pick the next SKOTM I would make sure that I win, along with set up for the next SKOTM (say Woodcutting was one SKOTM, I would set up a Firemaking SKOTM so I would be sure to get more XP than anyone else else) and that can get into the wrong hands which could ruin the SKOTM totally from what it right now. Maybe having a group vote or the winner of the last SKOTM pick the next SKOTM for the summer months could be something to look into to. Maybe start when the US people get out of school (Late April, early June I believe) and end the individual/group voting at the start of September (when the Canadians get back to school). That way Shane can save money and the people who are voting for a different way can be happy.

/ August '15 (Fishing) \

/ Skiller of the Year Wins - 2009 | 2015 \
/ Informer Runescape Writer from 01/27/09 to 9/27/12 | 80th Dragon Member | RSBandB donator \
/Global Moderator April 1st, 2015 - April 1st, 2015\
/ 842 to 99 Dungeoneering & First RSBandBer to 99 Dungeoneering \

PostPosted: May 27th, 2010, 5:02 am 

RS Name: Piratesock
Clan Name: The Mushroom Pirate Federation
Shane wrote:
That's an interesting idea in relation to points. The points would have to be retro-active through 2010. Definitely something to think about.

I was going to say we do keep it all logged anyway right? It's just not organized in that way.
Shane wrote:
And as for why I proposed the other option, variety. If someone is going to have the ability to choose the skill it creates more incentive to win. It also creates less incentive to tie, through more competition. The public choice option would be good because at the end of the day, we're a community, it's your competition! So wouldn't you like a bit more say in what skill it is?

The F2P equation really doesn't come in to play here because the vast majority of our community members are pay subscribers. 4 months of the year would still be random. That's 1/3, probably more than the percentage of our community that's F2P. 9 of 25 skills are members which is 36%, meaning that 64% are F2P. That means that there should be at least one free to play skill chosen every 4 months. With these figures there are 12,650 possible ways that 4 skills could be chosen. There are 1,820 possible ways to choose 4 skills in which they'd all be F2P, meaning there's a 14.4% chance that all skills would be F2P in that time period. So I don't see what F2P is worried about seeing as you'd get at least 2 if not 3 skills F2P. Maybe even all 4, those odds are decent.

Also as for a group of people dominating the public choice, that's unlikely. Everyone would vote, the votes would be hidden. Also with winner's choice keep in mind it's only one winners choice then back to the alternates. These choices would all be subject to the same three month rule.

So I really don't see why keeping it random is so beneficial.

I think it just keeps it simple. XD

How many users are we averaging on signing up to SKOTM now? Last month there was 20 odd right? It's not doing bad as it is.

PostPosted: May 27th, 2010, 11:57 am 
Adamantite Member

RS Name: Touchpad Pro
Clan Name: Tmoa
Keep it random, yes.
Argh! I would love to beat all of you in runecrafting but it won't be this time since I have my last five exams in June. Next time.

PostPosted: May 28th, 2010, 9:34 pm 
Dragon Member

RS Name: Owen1892
Looks like I'll miss out on this month's SKOTM, going to be really busy and just don't have the mood to runecraft. So good luck to all!

As for the future, I'd like Fred to pick the skills. Everything's random, so there's just simply no argument on the skill.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: May 28th, 2010, 9:34 pm 
Dragon Member

PostPosted: June 1st, 2010, 7:52 am 
Mithril Member

RS Name: bunymacaroni
it needs to be random, otherwise whoever picks it will probably pick a skill they're like 99 in

PostPosted: June 10th, 2010, 6:34 am 
Runite Member

RS Name: itally4life
RS Status: Classic
Being random is really the best part of skotm in my opinion.

Cooper wrote:
mining? all people do is powermine anyway, no money in it. with the exception of italy4lyfe (italy4nolifemining)

PostPosted: June 24th, 2010, 8:28 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: VettelS
Re-post explaining why I think it should be random.

If left to a single person to choose the skill, as in the case with winner's choice, that person will pick the skill that most suits them. I think we'd see a lot of double-winners with the same person winning two consecutive SKOTMs.

As for the public opinion choice, I think it'd become very somewhat predictable. Most people generally aren't keen on skills like farming and runecrafting, but a lot of people enjoy cooking, fishing and hunter SKOTMs.

PostPosted: June 25th, 2010, 2:24 pm 
Site Owner

RS Name: shane12088
It's staying Random ;)

PostPosted: June 25th, 2010, 6:31 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Addiv
I'm glad to hear it's staying random. The new options were interesting but I thought it was working well the way it was.