Post subject: Guide to GE Flipping
PostPosted: February 24th, 2011, 12:58 am 
Adamantite Member

RS Name: Riceay13
RS Status: P2P
Posted a video of me flipping some higher items. Here

FLIPPING!

Flipping! Where to begin? :o I’ll just start by listing a few facts that I think are important.

- Flipping is fast. Fast as in your flips should be quick. (Unless it is over night. I’ll talk about that later)
- Just about any item is flippable.
- The more money you have to start the easier things will be.
- You’ll never loose money flipping if you do it right. (It’s easy!)
- Commonly traded items are best. (Bandos, Godswords, runes, hides, weapons etc...)
- Prices are NEVER set in stone. They will always change. Even in hours.
- Don’t look at the GE graphs... You can flip an item ‘crashing’ or ‘peaking’ In fact, sometimes it’s easier. (only look to see if the item is going up or down in price)

IMPORTANT
Items in the Grand Exchange have limits. This means you can only get a certain amount of an item before the GE cuts you off. This is until you re-sell these items back. :p (or wait 4 hours) For example limit on cooked food is 10k. This means I could buy 10k shark every 4 hours. Or, if i sell these back before my 4 hours are up I will be able to buy back how ever many I sell.

Hidden below is a list of all of the different limits that I feel are important. If you’d like a full list you can visit the the RuneScape Wiki

Raw fish - 20,000
Food - 10,000
Runes - 20,000
Cannonballs - 10,000
Armor - 10
Weapons - 10
TeleTabs - 1,000 (these used to be 10k)
Amulets - 5,000
Ores - 25,000
Bars - 10,000
Potions - 1,000
Dragon Bones - 10,000
Ashes - 5,000

Quick Flips
Quick flips is the heart of flipping. I’m able to make 10-20m a day (easily) by sitting in the GE for a few hours. Quick flipping is safe in that you won’t lose money and is relatively easy; especially after gaining some experience.

Quick Flips Example 1
I’m going to start off with a easy example (Blood rune) so you can kind of see my method of how I find a buying/selling price of an item. The first thing I need to accomplish is to find what the ‘instant’ buy price is. This can be done however you like. If the item is going down, I’ll generally put in on offer for med and get it. If it’s going up i’ll hit the >5% button until I get the item instantly. After getting this ‘instant’ buy price we will now be able to find our selling price which is LESS then the instant buy price. The instant buy price is generally that noob who puts it in over the market price hoping it’ll sell. So this instant price is the peak(top) of the buying/selling range.

Back to my blood rune. I need to find an instant price so i’ll put in an offer for med which is currently 439gp.
As you can see it instantly bought for 434gp. This is our instant price and our selling price will be slightly under this. Because blood runes are so cheap I’ll make the selling price just slightly under at 432gp.

So now that we have our selling price we need to determine a buying price. As I said above blood runes are cheap so my buy/sell margin won’t be big. I’ll use a buying price of 424gp for this example. That is a 8gp profit per rune.
So there we have it. 10k runes at 424gp. It took around 45 seconds to buy.
Now to sell...
10 seconds later, 80k profit. It’s that simple. Now if you wanted to you could use all 6 of your slots; bloods, laws, nats, astrals, deaths, comics and be making profit on them all at once. Trust me... It adds up.

Quick Flips Example 2
Here's another example, this time with Bandos Godswords. So the steps are the same as above. Step one is to find the instant price. (my offer was for med)

Instant price = 10,550,000gp
Buying Price = 10,521,000 (This price is up to you. The further you move away from your selling price the bigger the profit however, the time to buy will increase. The closer you stay to your selling price you’ll retrieve your items much faster but won’t gain as much profit. It’s a game you have to play until you find the magic number. And trust me practice makes perfect. As you get a feel for certain items you’ll know what I mean.
]Selling Price = 10,549,000 (Remember, slightly under the instant price)
Total Profit - 280k
Now I know this doesn’t seem like a lot but realize that this flip took me ~5 minutes. If we were just doing Bandos Godswords, that alone is 3.6m an hour.

Hopefully you get the concept. Any Item in the game will be flippable like this and the more it is traded through the GE the better it will be. Here are some of the items that have ‘always’ been successful for me.
Bandos Platebody, Bandos Tassets, Bandos Godsword, Armadyl Godsword, Saradomin Godsword, Armadyl Platebody, Armadyl Platelegs, Mage books, Master wands, Dragonfire Shield, Dragon Claws, Infernal ashes, Glories, Cannonballs...

Some Quick Flip tips:
- Buy your item to its GE limit. There is no reason you shouldn’t.
- Pick an item or two that works for you and stick to it.
- Use all your slots... Why not?
- Don’t use even amounts. i.e 13,999 not 14,000 or 10,149,000 not 10,150,000
- Double check your offer before you click buy/sell. I can’t tell you how many times i’ve sold an item for 10m less because I forgot a 0. (it doesn't sell for 10m less, but you lose a considerable amount)

Overnight Flips
I’m not going to go into as much detail for these as they are a bit risky and I don’t recommend it. The basic concept of overnight flips is to stock up on an item that is raising before you go to bed in hopes that the GE will update and in turn boost the price of the item up. This is mainly done with more expensive items as it allows for a bigger increase of price. You could do it with cheeper items but you’ll find the profit isn’t nearly as good.

Lets take item X for example. Item X is 15,200,000gp in the GE and has been rising for 3 days straight. You decide to buy 10 of this item. Overnight item X raises 225,000gp. In the morning you sell item X for 15,425,000. (buy price + raised price) This generally works however you run the risk of the item crashing on your overnight or even leveling out before you are able to sell.

This method allows for the chance of a lot of profit but the risk is extremely high.

What to Flip?
Now that you have the basic understanding of how to flip you may want to know what you should flip. The answer is really dependent on your total wealth. Like I said earlier, the more you have the easier things will be. You’ll be able to flip more expensive items and also be able to take advantage of all 6 slots. Below I’ll give a range of wealth and what I think you should flip with that amount.

1m-10m
Runes (preferably blood, astral, deaths, or laws)
Cannonballs
Infernal ashes
Dragon bones
Tele tabs (house seem to work best)1
Glories (charged and uncharged, they are separate items)

10m-50m
Whips
Barrows equipment (AH top, AH bottom, or dharok’s)
Broken barrows equipment
Mage books
Master wands

50m-100m
BGS’s
ZGS’s
Furies
Armadyl (skirt and plate)

100m-500m
SGS’s
AGS’s
Dragon Claws
Bandos (plate and tassets)
DFS’s

Get a feel for buy/sell prices dependent on the price of the item. Here is a loose guideline you can follow.
Item price ---> buy/sell difference
0 - 1,000gp ---> 10 - 30gp
1,000 - 10,000gp ---> 50 - 100gp
10,000 - 100,000gp ---> 500 - 5,000gp
100,000 - 1,000,000gp ---> 5,000 - 25,000gp
1,000,000 - 10,000,000 ---> 25,000 - 50,000gp
10,000,000+gp ---> 50,000- ?gp (I don’t tend to go over 50k)

Please let me know if something doesn't make sense or if you have any questions.

Goodluck :D

Last edited by Riceay13 on July 22nd, 2011, 10:22 am, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: February 24th, 2011, 12:58 am 
Adamantite Member

Post subject: Re: Guide to GE Flipping
PostPosted: February 24th, 2011, 5:08 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Opeth
Clan Name: Dung Smith
Pretty good for people to get the basics, shame we can't have hyperlinks in-game. :roll:
Two quick things I spotted: Limit on runes is 25k, not 20k and also there is a typo under the first image 'blood runes are so cheep'

Tip: Try to get a cheap initial stock so when working with an item quickly so you can (sort of) buy/sell more than the limit. It's what I do since I'm always buying and selling the item at the same time.

Last edited by Opeth on February 24th, 2011, 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: February 24th, 2011, 9:29 am 
Adamantite Member

Opeth wrote:
Pretty good for people to get the basics, shame we can't have hyperlinks in-game. :roll:
Two quick things I spotted: Limit on runes is 25k, not 20k and also there is a typo under the first image 'blood runes are so cheep'

Tip: Try to get a cheap initial stock so when working with an item quickly so you can (sort of) buy/sell more than the limit. It's what I do since I'm always buying and selling the item at the same time.

Thanks mate I'll fix that soon.

I'm not quite sure what you mean? Are you talking for example of having 25k runes to start (bought from someone else) and being able to flip 50k at a time? I totally forgot about that. :p when I flip barrows I'll always but 10 degraded so I can repair and then be able to flip 20 instead of 10 of the fixed version.

PostPosted: February 24th, 2011, 10:25 am 
Runite Member

RS Status: Classic
As i thought. You have tought me something new lol.

Awesome guide even though you were doing it while you were tired ^.^

oh and you said if you did bgs's alone.. it would be 3.6m an hour? Did jagex get rid of the buying limit of 10?

PostPosted: February 24th, 2011, 11:02 am 
Adamantite Member

ChrisT wrote:
As i thought. You have tought me something new lol.

Awesome guide even though you were doing it while you were tired ^.^

oh and you said if you did bgs's alone.. it would be 3.6m an hour? Did jagex get rid of the buying limit of 10?

They did not remove the 10 limit. However if you sell them back to the ge your limit resets.

PostPosted: February 24th, 2011, 4:18 pm 
Bronze Member

RS Name: Stormtrooper
Great guide. I've been doing it for a while. Actually made 3 mil yesterday and wanted to show people it works on f2p too.

Thanks for making the guide!

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: February 24th, 2011, 4:18 pm 
Bronze Member

PostPosted: February 24th, 2011, 10:57 pm 
Site Owner

RS Name: mike12088
Clan Name: Bits and Bytes
Hey everyone that has been replying to this thread, this forum is intended for helpful replies or questions about the guide only. While I am sure Riceay appreciates your comments, you should PM him if you would just like to say thank you.

Posts such as "thank you" or "works for me too" are not allowed here. I have removed such replies (except for mine that you are reading).

PostPosted: February 25th, 2011, 5:47 am 
Iron Member

RS Name: Meltdown
i don't see how "thank you's" are banned. but anyhow. I did exactly as you did and nothing is working. This isn't your fault but one of my questions is; How can you actually find an item?

I find the instant buy price @ 412 gp.
I am trying to sell them @ 408 gp.
It isn't selling... and why do we need an instant buy price anyhow? I'm sorry I'm an absolute noob like you wouldn't believe.

PostPosted: February 25th, 2011, 1:25 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Pennstate315
What happen to the 4 hour sell back limit?

Black Member 2-6-10

PostPosted: February 25th, 2011, 2:04 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Azek
Pennstate315 wrote:
What happen to the 4 hour sell back limit?

Got taken out when the free trade got released

PostPosted: February 25th, 2011, 5:54 pm 
Adamantite Member

Meltdown wrote:
i don't see how "thank you's" are banned. but anyhow. I did exactly as you did and nothing is working. This isn't your fault but one of my questions is; How can you actually find an item?

I find the instant buy price @ 412 gp.
I am trying to sell them @ 408 gp.
It isn't selling... and why do we need an instant buy price anyhow? I'm sorry I'm an absolute noob like you wouldn't believe.

Nothing to be sorry about! I was once in your position.

Firstly there is no item (at least that i've found) that is always flippable. One night they will be and another they won't. You just have to play around with things. Thats another reason you want to only buy one of the item (the instant buy price step) incase that item isn't good. That way you won't be losing a lot.

In your case here you may want to lower you sell and buy price. Like I stated in my guide the instant buy price is that 'noob' who puts their offer in above the real buy/sell range.

Here's the best way I can try and explain this... (note my numbers are just for an example.)

<380 (not buyable) <<<<< 380 ----------- 400 >>>>> 420 (noobs price)

where 380-400 gp is the buy/sell market for quick buys/sells. This is what we want. In this case we'd want to flip 381(buy)/399(sell).

So to tie this in with your issue you'd be trying to sell at 410 which is OVER the good buy/sell range which would explain why they weren't selling.

I hope this helped. It's really quite hard to explain :?

PostPosted: February 25th, 2011, 9:37 pm 
Steel Member

RS Name: YakHunta
Clan Name: 4 Str 4 Stam LB
I'm with the others, great guide, and thanks for churning it out so quickly while being tired :o. I've recently been trying Saradomin Swords recently and they're a slow sell. Thanks to your guide, I now know I was doing it wrong the entire time :P. I'm almost to Bandos Godswords, and those should be fun! Kudos again, and I hope I've added just enough for this not to classify as a regular ol' thanks ;).

PostPosted: March 20th, 2011, 7:46 pm 

RS Name: Lord Earth
Clan Name: Clan Quest
Riceay13 wrote:
Some Quick Flip tips:
- Don’t use even amounts. i.e 13,999 not 14,000 or 10,149,000 not 10,150,000

Why is that?

Oh,
Buy your item to it’s GE limit. -> Buy your item to its GE limit.

Global Moderator since August 25, 2014 18:30:29

PostPosted: March 20th, 2011, 8:44 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Dothal Detra
RS Status: F2P
Clan Name: Irenic
Great guide! What would you suggest to flip with around 3m? I'm now trying to make back my cashpile from before bonus xp weekend, and herb farming isn't fast enough for me...

PostPosted: March 20th, 2011, 10:15 pm 
Bronze Member

RS Name: Minepure79
YakHunta wrote:
I'm with the others, great guide, and thanks for churning it out so quickly while being tired :o. I've recently been trying Saradomin Swords recently and they're a slow sell. Thanks to your guide, I now know I was doing it wrong the entire time :P. I'm almost to Bandos Godswords, and those should be fun! Kudos again, and I hope I've added just enough for this not to classify as a regular ol' thanks ;).

if you do irregular number such as 1,999 instead of 2,000 it will sell faster then other people that are selling it for 2,000