Post subject: #1 F2P Ranged Video Guide (By 99 Ranged Pure F2Per)
PostPosted: April 2nd, 2012, 11:13 pm 
Iron Member

RS Name: Yao1989
RS Status: F2P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtLgaEKbt_c

For people who want to churn out 99 ranged, go for lessers all the way....I got 800k+ ranged xp in 1 day (14hrs) w/92 ranged back in 2007 w/o all these fancy updates (before the map update overhaul when there were 15 different safe spots, not present day 12)...I managed with just a maple short and addy arrows...but this video is made in present day 2012, so I lost some of my finesse with the quick cursor agility and auto reflexes to get to a safe spot (3 years after I got 99 ranged)

Auto ash pick up and fewer clicking keystrokes due to urns is a plus, but the demon variety used to drop regular ashes so prayer wasn't even a factor back when I trained on it.
Here it is: the masterpiece, completed.

First of all, ranged takes finesse of the mouse and agile key strokes. If you like afking and misclicking clumsily, this skill is not for you.
It is action packed and it would not feel like grind-work until you get to 96+ ranged -- and you can take that to the bank.
If youtube takes it down again (like it did in 2007), I'll be pretty mad.
Here is my methodology with the recent updates considered.
If you accidentally die, invest in a better gravestone.
3 trips to lessers would guarantee 100k+ if you were to do it right.
Enjoy, watch it in full screen.

....the other lesser spot is cool, but this is for consistent ranged expose to lessers with minimal distractions from other people training combat (aka no wait time/fewer steps to run...one can kill ~3 lessers before the first lesser you killed respawns)

The lesser's "dying action" (updated in 2006) is time costly. start on another one and don't wait for the drops to appear.

P.S. Stop ranging on the top 3 floors of the stronghold security/underground lumby and varrock, picking on weak NPCs who do you no harm, and using wimpy bronze/iron/steel arrows. It sickens me. Thanks.

===
I'm not going to pretend like this method guarantees profit, but back when I was lvl 77 ranged, I used to get 5 rune meds per level up.

For this video, I used 707 addys (refer to 99 dg video for proof)

After ring alching 4 rune meds, 2 mith sq's, and 3 mith chains; and selling/ring alching 17 steel hatchets and 10 steel scimmys to GE, I've gotten 67k in coins.

I also got 3 black 2hs, 18 steel full helms, 8 gold ores, 1045 fires, forgot how many chaos, 206 death, 4 saphs, and 2 ems I have yet to sell/use. I drank 12 jugs of wine.

67742 - 707*(bought them at 110) + 1045*19 = 10k profit.......with just fire runes accounted for and not the other stuff I have yet to use/sell

===
I started ranging at lessers with 60 ranged and ~73 defense. It was before FOG (and the gravestone option) was released and I had on my santa hat because the coif made me look stupid. It used to be very crowded at lessers and I often have to log onto german world to train, but nowadays, people at lessers are thinning out.

I kinda purposefully got myself within range of the lessers dealing damage to me to show how you can escape those situations, but if you are fluent at what the video displayed, you shouldn't get too injured. If you pack 10 swordies, you more often times find yourself dropping 5 of them if the loot is more valuable and you were to stay there for 4+ hours. But if you are just starting out, 10 pieces of food should suffice per trip.

======

I kept it long because I left some of the "pro tips" out -- they take quite a bit of time/paragraphs explaining. I may use the youtube annotations to further explain the "diagonal safespots that are sqrt(2) of a runescape grid away from the actual lesser" and "auto safe-spot positioning as an result of the ranged targeting system"...if those phrases don't make sense to you, it's probably because you have yet to experience them first-hand.

Using lessers to block other lessers from attacking you is once they become non-aggressive somewhat dangerous to do (unless they are aligned motionless) but it gives you more safe spots.

Knowing that lessers take up 2 "runescape grids" and that they are more prone to get "blocked by obstacles" from their right side than on their left side also plays a major role in which safe spots to choose from.

Once you are at lessers and get the "feel" for what is going on, what steps to do, and how to approach situations, then these pro tips would come in handy to shave off more time spent "re-calibrating" the relative positioning of the lesser and which safe spot to use.

I might tack on the addendum "pro tips" using the annotations option for my video at the end, but I kept it simplified for the time being.

last.fm
My imagination could give me wings/
to fly, like doves, over a city watching everything
http://www.youtube.com/user/wrecktragichavoc

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: April 2nd, 2012, 11:13 pm 
Iron Member

Post subject: Re: #1 F2P Ranged Video Guide (By 99 Ranged Pure F2Per)
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2012, 1:45 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Duke Juker
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: Clan Quest
I think most people know that training at lessers is the way to go in F2p for ranging, but it can be difficult when you start at a low level like 60. Still, good guide.

82nd Dragon Member since 05/12/2010
RSBandB Member #517
Current Activities: Ports, Dailies/Monthlies, DXP
Skill Masteries: Firemaking, Cooking, Woodcutting, Fletching, Mining, Agility, Prayer, Smithing, Fishing, Summoning, Construction, Herblore, Hunter, Thieving, Crafting, Divination, Dungeoneering, Farming, Runecrafting, Slayer, Magic, Ranged, Defence, Constitution, Attack, Strength, Invention & 1st Max (3/9/19), Archaeology & 2nd Max (4/16/21), 200m Firemaking, Necromancy

PostPosted: April 4th, 2012, 11:37 am 
Iron Member

RS Name: Yao1989
RS Status: F2P
I started there at lvl 60 range tbh

last.fm
My imagination could give me wings/
to fly, like doves, over a city watching everything
http://www.youtube.com/user/wrecktragichavoc

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2012, 9:14 pm 
Bronze Member

RS Name: Lashed
Clan Name: Vegeance
Agreed

PostPosted: August 20th, 2012, 11:39 pm 
Steel Member

RS Name: Kon x
Not bad