Post subject: Prayer Guide (WIP)
PostPosted: April 24th, 2008, 4:22 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Eynx
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: Pierce The Sky

What Is Prayer?
Prayer is a very useful skill to be used in combat and sometimes in important moments such as death. It can be used to overpower your opponent and help you survive even longer against your opponent. Prayer is considered a combat skill so while raising your prayer level you will gain combat levels also.

How It Works
To raise prayer you must bury bones of the monsters you've slain. Every bone you bury earns you some prayer experience which will help you gain levels. There are many different types of bones out there that can be found and buried and give you more experience than others. These bones that give better experience are harder to achieve then other bones because they usually come from stronger monsters. Basically all you do is kill a monster or buy your bones if you're rich and bury them, but wait, there are two other ways you can gain even more experience than normally burying bones. These other ways are called worshipping the Ectofunctus and worshiping the bones at an gilded marble alter.

The Ectofunctus
This gains the most experience overall, but is the slowest way to raise prayer. If you're not patient it is not recommended you try this.
You need to complete the restless ghost quest and have a ghostspeak amulet on.
You need to get the following items to do this.
-9 Empty Pots
-9 Empty Buckets
-9 Bones you wish to worship (The better the more exp)
-1 Ectophial (Highly recommended but not required but if you want it, it requires the completion of Ghosts Ahoy)
-Recommended you have 58+ Agility for shortcuts to shorten time big time.

Inventory Should look like this

Now you need to head to the Ectofunctus which is located east of Canifis and North of Port Phasmatys
Map
There are two ways to do this.
The easy way which requires the completion of the quest Ghosts Ahoy.
The long way which requires the completion of the Preist in Peril quest
Now fill you inventory, all the slots should be filled.
Now Head down through the trapdoor and follow the path all the way down, Its a long way down.
Once you reach the bottom of the pit, you will see a giant pool of slime.

Use a bucket with it and your character will fill the other 8 automatically. Now run all the way back the the surface or use or ectophial and refill.
Now head up the stairs and you will see a machine. Now use one bones with the loader, wind the bone grinder then empty the bin and be careful not to bury them. You just grinded up one of your bones, repeat 8 more times

Inventory Now
After that go back to the main floor to the Ectofunctus and worship it, now all you slime and crushed bones will disappear but you will gain a lot of experience then normal.
Now speak to the ghost disciple to claim your ecto-tokens which can be used to enter the city and purchase items.
You will earn a certain amount depending on which bones you worshiped.

Now Repeat.

The Alter
The alter is considered the best way to raise prayer and is definitely worth doing. Now this takes a Player Owned House (POH) and has to have an alter in their home. The better the alter the more experience gained. The best way to do this is to go on the forums or have a friend with 75+ Construction that has a gilded alter in their home. Also if you want the bonus from the alter you must keep the torches lit which can only be lit from marrentil's. Now once you find a gilded alter it is most likely to be located at the Yanille POH Portal. This makes the timing so short. Also if you find someone offering you to use their alter sometimes they're nice enough to light the torches for you and all you do is use the alter free of charge.

Map
Inventory Should Look Like This
Now when you have your inventory looking like the one above, run along the path and go to your friends' house or your own which should have a gilded alter with torches. Now head to the alter and then use your bones with the alter and they'll disappear and you'll see an action done by your character. You've just gained a lot more extra experience than normal.
Thats it! Now just repeat and you'll gain levels very quickly. It is very quick but The Ectofunctus gives more experience per bone. So its up to you, are you patient enough to gain more experience per bone or would you rather get a little less experience and quicker?

Ectofunctus = More Experience per bone, Slow speed wise
POH Alter = Less Experience per bone, Fast speed wise

The Prayer Cape
Now if you decide to spend millions on buying bones or kill over 30,000 dragons you can achieve the great Prayer cape.
This is one of the hardest capes to achieve as it takes tons of money or lots of dragon killing. If you get one you can go show it off to everyone.

ImageImageImage

Request List
How to do the Rag and Bone way of Prayer
Pictures of all the different bones

Working On
Experience Charts

Credits
Zac - Making Ectofunctus and Alter Part of guide.
Pfkninenines - Having 99 Prayer and Supplying us with the 99 prayer pictures.
Everyone who found typo's or told me to add something

If I'm forgetting something tell me so I can put it in there.

Last edited by Zac on April 28th, 2008, 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: April 24th, 2008, 4:22 pm 
Runite Member

Post subject: Re: Prayer Guide (WIP)
PostPosted: April 26th, 2008, 3:33 pm 
Dragon Member

RS Name: Ryno nub
Just one thing thats bugging me a bit, you spelt Ectofunctus wrong at the title for that section :wink:

PostPosted: April 26th, 2008, 5:18 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Tim2
RS Status: Retired
Clan Name: Bits and Bytes
i got 2 things to add, you need to tell them about how incence burners give more xp per bone and mayybe you could but in a chart on how much xp you get from each bone and with each style. But other than that, good guide.

/ August '15 (Fishing) \

/ Skiller of the Year Wins - 2009 | 2015 \
/ Informer Runescape Writer from 01/27/09 to 9/27/12 | 80th Dragon Member | RSBandB donator \
/Global Moderator April 1st, 2015 - April 1st, 2015\
/ 842 to 99 Dungeoneering & First RSBandBer to 99 Dungeoneering \

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2008, 11:30 am 
Iron Member

RS Name: boon8910
Clan Name: rsbandb of course!
it's nice but give a bit more info about the POH guilded alter part. it would also help alot if you gave exact calculations like how much dragons u needed to kill or how much money you need to have in order to buy all the dragon bones.
other than that, great guide

Spoiler for um ok I lwuv you 2 wubsy:

i can't believe you have nothing better to look at this... stop reading it! I told you to stop! Oi, people these days...

PostPosted: June 4th, 2008, 7:14 pm 

RS Name: Silverwiz9
Clan Name: RsbandbStaff
BACKSTABBINGHER0 wrote:
it's nice but give a bit more info about the POH guilded alter part. it would also help alot if you gave exact calculations like how much dragons u needed to kill or how much money you need to have in order to buy all the dragon bones.
other than that, great guide

It would be somewhat futile to include pricing information, as prices tend to fluctuate a bit. As for how many dragons you'd need to kill - it'd depend on what level you were going for, and if you were selling the hides and buying more bones, or just picking up bones.

If you need to know how many bones you need for a level, use one of Rsbandb's calculators - most specifically the Prayer calculator, found Here

PostPosted: July 19th, 2008, 6:28 am 
Dragon Member

RS Name: Kill Kenny97
RS Status: Classic
On the Ectofuncus part, when you've reached the bottom you can use the Ectophail to get back up.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: July 19th, 2008, 6:28 am 
Dragon Member

PostPosted: May 28th, 2009, 10:02 am 
Bronze Member

RS Name: Omar6000
Clan Name: Inmortal 100+
Well I worked it out and I'm definitely not doing :P seeing as dragon bones are the only bones anyone would ever be wise enough to use to get to 99 prayer (you don't see zezima or duffy using big bones/bones for 99 prayer lol) it would mean this (for me):

-Level 53 - 99 Prayer
-12,892,143 XP to go
-179,058 dragon bones needed (2,353 per bone brings total cost to: 421,323,474gp)

My question is: Why don't people use ourg bones? 140 experience, double dragon bones, I would only need 92,087 of them. But then...I saw why, 14,400gp PER BONE, crazy stuff! That would cost 1,326,052,800 (almost 1 BILLION more!). I am still, however, confused, go to the GE database on the runescape website, and there are two 'Ourg Bones' (http://itemdb-rs.runescape.com/viewitem.ws?obj=14793 and http://itemdb-rs.runescape.com/viewitem.ws?obj=4834) very confusing any ideas?

PostPosted: May 28th, 2009, 4:57 pm 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Firemana
Clan Name: Problem Solvers
The green pile of Ourg bones that look like Dragon bones are from a specific End quest-monster I believe. The ones that have a brown bit around them are the normal Ourg bones.

The reason people don't use them is because the majority are lazy. Ourg bones can only be obtained by stealing from Zogre/Skogre tombs in the dungeon beneath Jiggig. You have to kill a Zogre/Skogre with brutal arrows only (nothing else hurts them) which require a Composite Ogre bow (nothing else can fire brutal arrows) to have a chance of getting a coffin key. You then use this on the coffins/tombs/caskets in the dungeon below Jiggig and you have a chance of getting Ourg/Raurg/Fayrg or normal Zogre bones.

They take a long time to get but the Zogre's give decent ranged experience and there are a few ranged spots. Since they take so long to get most people would rather grind them themselves than sell them for a measly 14.4k.

88th Dragon Member : Informer Writer : Content Crew : Chat Moderator ::
"If it ain't broke, dun fix it."

PostPosted: May 30th, 2009, 5:35 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Chief. Snake
RS Status: Retired
Clan Name: Bits and Bytes
If I remember correctly, I used to occasionally use the Crumble Undead spell on Zogres or Skogres? I can't even remember what they were or which ones, it's been so long. Does that (still) work? Going a little off topic but it could be another means of killing them for potentially increased prayer experience. ;)

PostPosted: May 30th, 2009, 5:38 pm 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Firemana
Clan Name: Problem Solvers
Actually you're right, Chief, Crumble Undead does work but the damage is halved. The normal max for it is about 15 on normal undead and 8 on Zogres/Skogres.

For the majority that would probably be a better, more efficient, and faster means of killing them.

88th Dragon Member : Informer Writer : Content Crew : Chat Moderator ::
"If it ain't broke, dun fix it."

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2009, 1:14 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Lord Jared
Mli 699 wrote:
i got 2 things to add, you need to tell them about how incence burners give more xp per bone and mayybe you could but in a chart on how much xp you get from each bone and with each style. But other than that, good guide.

Yeah I was gonna say that too...

All 70+(non combat) March 18, 2010
^
Wow I am a lot better than this now

PostPosted: November 14th, 2009, 3:05 pm 
Steel Member

RS Name: PharoahGrant
Clan Name: grantscape
good guide, thanks