Post subject: Mining Guide
PostPosted: January 1st, 2008, 2:05 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Skype Jay
RS Status: F2P
Please refer to the date of the guide - it is obviously outdated. I do not recommend use of this as an actual guide as it is a submission. Of course, it will be updated, corrected, and polished when the guides go official.

The Mining Guide

Written by Warren on November 22, 2007. Completed January 1, 2008. (LOL)
Thanks to Lance for his big help and for information and suggestions.

MADE FOR USE ON http://WWW.RSBANDB.COM ONLY

Note: An asterisk (*) indicates a members only feature.

Introduction

Mining requires very little cash to start off and can be very profitable. When you mine a rock, you get an ore. So after mining you can use the ore to train smithing, or sell it for profit. Mining is quite simple. Bring an pickaxe to a rock, click, and watch your character do the work while he mines the rock, eventually receiving an ore. Unfortunately, mining is not like fishing or woodcutting with unlimited resources at one spot, each rock only contains one ore, so you will have to wait for the rock to “respawn” after obtaining the ore. Once you have become used to the game, you should be able to tell what ore a rock holds by colour, but if you can’t you can right click and select prospect rock. The type of rock will be displayed in the chat box. The mining skill can be performed in both the free version of the game (F2P) as well as the members version (P2P).

This guide covers all aspects of the mining skill. If you believe something is not covered and should be, suggest it.

Pickaxe Types

Type
Mining Level
Attack Level
(Wielding)
Picture
Bronze Pickaxe11Image
Iron Pickaxe11Image
Steel Pickaxe65Image
Mithril Pickaxe2120Image
Adamant Pickaxe3130Image
Rune Pickaxe4140Image

Rocks and Ores
Check out the smithing guide for more information about smithing.

Type
Level to Mine/ Smith
Mining XP
Smithing XP
Recommended Area
Respawn Rate
Ore Picture
Rock Picture
Rune Essence1 (Can’t Smith)5Not PossibleRune Essence MineImageImage
Clay1 (Can’t Smith)5Not PossibleSouthwest Varrock Mine/ Crafting Guild1sImageImage
Copper1 (Can’t Directly Smith)17.5Not PossibleSoutheast Varrock Mine5sImageImage
Tin1 (Can’t Directly Smith)17.5Not PossibleSoutheast Varrock Mine5sImageImage
Blurite1 (8 Smithing)26.58Rimmington Ice CavesN/AImageImage
Limestone*10 (Can’t Smith)26.5Not PossibleNorth East of VarrockN/AImageImage
Iron153512.5Southeast Varrock Mine/ North of Yanille*8sImageImage
Elemental*2007.5Elemental WorkshopN/AImageImage
Silver204013.75Crafting Guild/ Cave Goblin Mine*2minImageImage
Coal30 (Can’t Directly Smith)50Not PossibleMining Guild/ Coal Trucks*45sImageImage
Pure Essence*30 (Can’t Smith)5Not PossibleRune Essence MineImageImage
Sandstone40 (Can’t Smith)30 (1-kg)
40 (2-kg)
50 (5-kg)
60 (10-kg)
Not PossibleDesert Granite MineN/AImageImage
Gold406522.5 (56.2 w/ Goldsmith Gauntlets)Crafting guild/ Brimhaven*/ Keldagrim Mines*2minImageImage
Granite*45 (Can’t Smith)50 (tiny)
60 (small)
75 (medium)
Not PossibleDesert Granite MineN/AImageImage
Mithril558030Mining Guild/ Hobgoblin Mine (Wilderness)3minImageImage
Adamantite709537.5Dwarven Mines4min30sImageImage
Runite8512550Wilderness Rune Rocks/ Heroes’ Guild*20minImageImage

The respawn times listed in this chart are to give you an idea only. There are more factors that determine the respawn rate, such as how populated the world is.

Gems

Occasionally while mining you might obtain a gem. These can be cut and turned into jewelry, which later can be enchanted. You are more likely to obtain a gem from a coal rock, rather than a copper rock. Wearing a charged Amulet of Glory* will increase the chances of obtaining a gem. There are also gem rocks in Shilo Village and the Lunar Isle mine. Every time you mine these rocks, you will obtain a gem, but no ores. (All gems except dragonstone and onyx) Level 40 mining is required. You get 65 mining experience for every gem you mine.

Mine Locations

*there will be more locations added soon + more information, this is just temporary. :oops:

F2P

Varrock East Mine (Green)
Rocks: Iron (4), Copper (9), Tin (6)
Nearest Bank: Varrock East Bank, close-medium
Recommended: Yes
Varrock West Mine (Blue)
Rocks: Silver (3), Iron (3), Tin (8), Clay (3)
Nearest Bank: Varrock West Bank, close-meidum
Recommended: No
Notes: Level 6 aggressive mugger near by; attacks anyone under level 13.

Al Kharid
Rocks: Adamantite (2), Mithril (2), Gold (2) Coal (3), Silver (5), Iron (9), Copper (3), Tin (2)
Nearest Bank: Al Kharid Bank, far
Recommended: Yes (F2P)
Notes: Guarded by aggressive level 14 scorpions; attack anyone under level 29.

Barbarian Village

Dwarven Mines

Lumbridge Swamp

Rimmington

Rune Rocks (Wildy)

Dark Warriors’ Fortress

P2P

Coal Trucks

Keldagrim

Yanille

Brimhaven

Quarry

East Ardougne

Recommended Leveling

Level 1-15

You have few choices at this level. I would recommend that you go to a less crowded mine with copper and/or tin and power mine. (Mine an ore and then drop) If you do not wish to drop your ores, you can choose to find a mine close to a bank and bank the ores. There isn’t a large market for tin and copper ores, so it would be best to just smelt them for smithing (a copper ore and tin ore smelted together creates a bronze bar). If you are banking the ore, you should be at the Varrock Southeast Mine.

Level 15-45

At level 15 you have access to one of the fastest leveling methods. This is quite different from other skills, because the fasted method is usually unlocked around at least level 60. Mining iron is the way to go from here. You can either bank it, or power mine it for the fastest XP. If you are banking it you should be at the Southeast Varrock Mine, or if you’re a member, the mine north of Yanille. The best place for power mining iron is at the Al-Kharid mine. If you are under level 29 combat, you will be attacked by level 14 scorpions at the Al-Kharid mine.

Level 45-99 (Non Profit)

If you are F2P, continue mining iron. However, if you are a member, grab your water skins, because you’re going to the desert. You should bring about 20 water skins, and possibly wear desert clothes. (If you have access to the Lunar Magic spell, humidify, you can bring that to refill your water skins.) Go to the Granite Desert Mine, and start power mining the granite. You shouldn’t worry about banking, as there is no market for mined granite.

:arrow: The following methods are for people who want profit.

Level 15-99
You can continue mining iron at the mine north of Yanille*, banking it as you get a full load. You can later sell these iron ores for profit, or smelt the ores into irons bars, and then sell the bars. Or, you can even smith the bars into iron knives to get more smithing XP, and then sell the knives for a profit. It’s recommended that you obtain a few rings of forging and wear them while smelting iron ores.

Level 75-99

At your level it shouldn’t take as long to mine coal anymore. Some good places to mine coal are at the Mining Guild, Coal Trucks*, or at the dangerous Hobgoblin Mine in the wilderness. Mine coal until you have a huge stock, and then sell it in bulk for a nice profit.
Level 85-99

At 85 you have access to the best rock in the game- Runite. To train from level 85 to 99 on runite rocks alone would be a huge feat, and a great accomplishment. This may take a lonnngggg time, but in the end you would find your self with what may seem like a bottomless pit of cash. Unfortunately, runite rocks aren’t found in abundance, and will take a long time to respawn (20+ minutes!). Most people will not be able to continue to achieve 99 on these rocks without losing their sanity.

Note: Remember to upgrade your pickaxe when you can, if you can afford it.

Pricing

*Prices are always changing so these prices may not resemble the current price!

Ores

Iron ore: 86-96 GP
Silver ore: 171 - 191 GP
Coal: 155 - 173 GP
Gold ore: 534 - 592 GP
Mithril ore: 313 - 347 GP
Adamantite ore: 1159 - 1281 GP
Runite ore: 11736 - 12972 GP

Essence

Rune Essence: 24 - 28 GP
*Pure Essence: 114 - 128 GP

Pickaxes (Player sold)

Mithril pickaxe: 1084 - 1200 GP
Adamant pickaxe: 1920-2097 GP
Rune pickaxe: 19200 - 20164 GP

Pickaxe Shops

Nurmof, Dwarven Mines
*Note: Bring a damaged pickaxe to Nurmof and he will fix it for a small price.

Managing the Kingdom

A good and easy way to get coal is by managing the Kingdom of Miscellania. The workers will mine coal for you, but for a price, of course. However, you can get other resources from Miscellania, though coal is the only mineral available. You need to complete the Throne of Miscellania quest to have access to managing the Kingdom.

Varrock Armour

Varrock armour is obtained by completing the Varrock Achievement Diary. There are three types of varrock armour: Varrock armour 1, 2, and 3, three giving the most bonuses. To find out more, refer to the Varrock Achievement Diary guide.
Relating to mining, the bonuses are:
Armour 1: Chance of mining two ores at once while mining with the armour equiped when mining any ore up to coal (including coal).
Armour 2: Same as armour 1, but including when mining mithril.
Armour 3: Same as armour 2, but including when mining adamantite.

Mining Related Random Events

Golem
As usual there is the random enemy that will kill you. If you’re one of the people who multitasks by going into different computer windows while playing, you could find yourself dead, and items lost. If you’re getting the level 120 or level 159 golems, you should be good at fighting, or have the protection from missiles prayer, or be ready to run. When killed, golems drop random things involving mining or other things.

Exploding Rock
Some mines can contain dangerous gases in the rocks. While mining, a spark from your pickaxe could potential ignite the rock. If you choose to continue to mine that rock while it is “bubbling”, your pickaxe will become damaged. Luckily they are easily fixed with a quick visit to Nurmof (in the Dwarven Mines), who will repair it for a price.

PIckaxe Dislocation
Sometimes the rocks are just too tough for your axe, so the head will break off when you try to mine a rock. You should watch as you start mining the rock before going into a different computer window (to possibly browse the forums). If it does break off, retrieve it and use the handle with the head to reunite the two.

*Temporary Level Boosts

ImageDwarven Stout
Drinking a dwarven stout will temporarily boost your mining and smithing levels by 1. This does not last particularly long, so it’s recommended to only use it to get into the Mining Guild with only 59 mining, or something like that. These are bought at the Falador bar for 3GP. If you are a member, you can brew your own stout, which will potentially turn into a mature brew (dwarven stout (m)), which will temporarily boost your mining and smithing levels by 2.

ImageBraindeath Rum
Drinking a Braindeath Rum will temporarily boost your mining level by 1, with some combat boosts at the same time. The rum is bought on the island Mos Le’harmless.

*Mining Achievement Cape

After thousands of ores mined, hopefully millions of profit, and hours of work, you will eventually achieve 99 mining, You then can buy this fabulous cape for 99K from the Dwarf at the entrance to the Mining Guild located in Falador. This cape has the ability to increase your level to 100 temporarily and will unlock a nice emote.

Note: More will be added, just posting it might make me finish it. Suggestions encouraged, and additions helpful- used with credit. Feel free to post any images that you think could be used.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: January 1st, 2008, 2:05 am 
Rsbandb Donor

Post subject: Re: Mining Guide
PostPosted: January 1st, 2008, 5:28 am 
Dragon Member

RS Name: colin playle
RS Status: P2P
Wow. :shock:
The only thing that I can see that could be improved is add another Colum for the smithing level in the "rocks and ores" table. It looks a little messy with "(can't smith)".

PostPosted: August 20th, 2008, 3:56 pm 
Bronze Member

RS Name: wicked cj13
Clan Name: Mininggolds
Nice guide, but iron is faster xp than granite until 70-80 mining.

Also, you should add somewhere that rocks respawn faster in more populated worlds. I didn't see it in there, so if it is I guess i just missed it. :P

PostPosted: September 2nd, 2008, 10:08 pm 
Adamantite Member

RS Name: Kayto239
RS Status: F2P
Nicely done, but I think you've missed the Goblin Caves in Lumbridge and some other place.

§

ImageImage

§

PostPosted: November 28th, 2009, 4:32 pm 
Steel Member

RS Name: topaz451
Clan Name: Prophecy Of Zaros
A couple updates should be made, otherwise, its a great guide!
*Updates*
Dragon Pickaxe
Mining randoms

PostPosted: November 28th, 2009, 5:08 pm 
BANNED

RS Name: Powercrazy13
topaz451 wrote:
A couple updates should be made, otherwise, its a great guide!
*Updates*
Dragon Pickaxe
Mining randoms

There are no longer any specialized mining randoms in Runescape, thus they wouldn't be in the guide.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: November 28th, 2009, 5:08 pm 
BANNED

PostPosted: December 7th, 2009, 4:25 pm 
BANNED

RS Name: Gotham
Living Rock Caverns as well

PostPosted: February 5th, 2010, 8:27 pm 
Mithril Member

RS Name: Davos2010
Clan Name: Rsbandb
How many respawn concentrated mine in the Living Rock Caverns?

~Warrior for Life~ ~Mining for Life~

PostPosted: March 6th, 2010, 10:43 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Tim2
RS Status: Retired
Clan Name: Bits and Bytes
There are 3 right close to the bank but overall I believe there are 5 or 6, and 4 gold concentrated deposits.

/ August '15 (Fishing) \

/ Skiller of the Year Wins - 2009 | 2015 \
/ Informer Runescape Writer from 01/27/09 to 9/27/12 | 80th Dragon Member | RSBandB donator \
/Global Moderator April 1st, 2015 - April 1st, 2015\
/ 842 to 99 Dungeoneering & First RSBandBer to 99 Dungeoneering \