Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: "5 Million Gmail Usernames and Passwords Leaked Online"
PostPosted: September 10th, 2014, 6:30 pm 

RS Name: Silverwiz9
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: RsbandbStaff
http://freedomhacker.net/five-million-g ... es-passwords-leaked/

Check your email here. It won't give you your full password, but it will give you the first two characters. My gmail account is in the list, but the password they have isn't for my gmail account. So I'm not sure which site / sites were involved in the leak, but it wasn't from Google.

"The exact number of email addresses leaked is 4,929,090 and a number of users online have already identified their accounts inside the leaked database. The accuracy of the leaked gmail database has not yet been verified, but has been reported that upwards of 60 percent of login credentials are valid and working." People need to stop using their password on multiple sites... Use a password manager, or be creative. But don't get lazy.

If this post at all worried you (as it sort of should), ensure you have two-factor authentication enabled for your accounts whenever possible. There are multiple ways to have two-factor authentication from Google, so pick one and use it. You're far better off than only having a password.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: September 10th, 2014, 6:30 pm 

Post subject: Re: "5 Million Gmail Usernames and Passwords Leaked Online"
PostPosted: September 10th, 2014, 9:17 pm 

RS Name: Lord Earth
Clan Name: Clan Quest
My email is fine, thankfully. Do you know anything about Google Apps email accounts?

Global Moderator since August 25, 2014 18:30:29

PostPosted: September 11th, 2014, 2:06 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Duke Juker
Clan Name: Clan Quest
Mines good, too. It does make me worry a little. I'll look into the two factor thing.

You sure isleaked is safe?

82nd Dragon Member since 05/12/2010
RSBandB Member #517
Current Activities: Ports, Dailies/Monthlies, DXP
Skill Masteries: Firemaking, Cooking, Woodcutting, Fletching, Mining, Agility, Prayer, Smithing, Fishing, Summoning, Construction, Herblore, Hunter, Thieving, Crafting, Divination, Dungeoneering, Farming, Runecrafting, Slayer, Magic, Ranged, Defence, Constitution, Attack, Strength, Invention & 1st Max (3/9/19), Archaeology & 2nd Max (4/16/21), 200m Firemaking, Necromancy

PostPosted: September 11th, 2014, 5:58 am 
Adamantite Member

RS Name: Its Arceus
RS Status: F2P
None of mine seemed to be hit, which is good :).

PostPosted: September 11th, 2014, 1:32 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Estor
RS Status: Retired
Mine is good. Personally, I wish I had more passwords but I can't come up with them or remember them all, I have 2 unique passwords that I only use for my hotmail and gmail account, and then a few others for other accounts, but I have a tendency to forget other password and I constantly find myself resetting passwords for any service I haven't used for awhile.

ImageImage

PostPosted: September 14th, 2014, 5:39 pm 

RS Name: Silverwiz9
Clan Name: RsbandbStaff
Isleaked is weird in that it was registered before the leaks were public... But I don't know what harm it's going to do other than take your email address and mark it as special or something. The list of emails is already out, so at this point, there's nothing you can do to prevent someone from trying what is listed in the file.

Keep in mind, these passwords aren't from Google or any of the other sites. They're from logins used to access other sites, meaning that if you are BobSmith@gmail.com and you sign up to TheBestSiteEver.com with the username (or have as an email contact) BobSmith@gmail.com, and you use Password123 as your password, these credentials will be stored on TheBestSiteEver.com. If someone hacks TheBestSiteEver.com and gets the database containing usernames/passwords/emails, they can create these lists. You're ONLY screwed if you use Password123 as your password on sites other than TheBestSiteEver.com, as this is where the email/password association was created.

I've since found the password list and verified what was in the list as my password. I've *never* used that password for anything important; especially not an email account. I did find passwords for a few friends, one of which was quite shocked that I knew that password.

To Estor and anyone else with a password creation/retention issue, try LastPass or a similar service. Everything is encrypted client-side, so even if LastPass were to get hacked, someone would only get a blob of junk for your account. They'd also have to figure out who the blob belongs to... So it's unlikely that, if you had a sufficiently complex password, anyone could get into your account. You can also enable two-factor authentication on LastPass, so you're doubly protected.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: September 14th, 2014, 5:39 pm