Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Samsung Galaxy S5, thoughts?
PostPosted: September 21st, 2014, 7:26 pm 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Firemana
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: Problem Solvers
I currently have an iPhone 4s but am considering switching to Android due to reasons.

I am considering the SGS5. I was curious if any of y'all had any experience with them or the S4 and what your thoughts are.

If you want to know why I'm considering leaving Apple, you can message me. No point for that discussion in here.

88th Dragon Member : Informer Writer : Content Crew : Chat Moderator ::
"If it ain't broke, dun fix it."

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: September 21st, 2014, 7:26 pm 
Chat Moderator

Post subject: Re: Samsung Galaxy S5, thoughts?
PostPosted: September 21st, 2014, 9:53 pm 
Site Owner

RS Name: shane12088
Not the Samsung Galaxy S series. The older ones especially have a build quality that makes it feel like a children's toy.

There's also the issue of stock Android vs. the variant Samsung will give you. Without stock Android you're at the mercy of your phone manufacturer to decide when to upgrade the software rather than just getting the new version from Google when it's ready. That can be bypassed by rooting but that's a whole other matter.

If I was in the need of an Android device that would provide a great experience I would go with the Moto X (http://www.motorola.ca/consumers/moto-x ... -X/moto-x-ca-en.html). The second gen Moto X is supposedly coming soon so now might not be the best time to buy. The real benefit of the Moto X over the Samsung is that you get a much nicer device and you get a pure Android experience. From my pre-iPhone experience I can tell you that manufacturer written software bogs the phone down and really limits what it can do.

Though I can say that all this is rendered pointless if iOS 8 fixes any of the issues you're having and you'd be interested in moving to an iPhone 6.

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2014, 10:06 pm 
Chat Moderator

I don't know how the older ones are, but the S5(released in April) seems to be pretty sturdy(from what I've seen). It took drop tests as well as or better than iPhones(The HTC One M8 beat both). It's also waterproof, which is something not many phones can say. Officially it's rated IP-6-7, but as you can see in that video, it is more resilient to water than that rating guarantees, not that I suggest swimming with it.
The plastic of the S5 vs the iPhone's aluminum is a little annoying, but with Otterbox having affordable & reliable cases for all major phones now, that's not much of an issue.

The Moto X seems nearly identical to the S5 except for a few areas where it comes short, such as the 22% smaller battery, .4" smaller screen, and CPU (a 1.7ghz dual-core as opposed to the S5's 2.5ghz quad-core). Could you highlight the parts where the Moto is better?
In regards to Manufacture bloat apps, all devices and brands come with that. I've read that you can turn off/uninstall a fair bit of that stuff. Does the Moto X come with stock Android, no manufacture software?

From what I've seen iOS 8 addresses none of the issues I have and from what I've read updating my 4S to 8 will turn it into a paperweight. As it is, when I was forced to switch to iOS 7 my battery life plummeted. The S5's battery is 54% larger than the 6's and only 0.9% smaller than the 6+. In a test against the iPhone 5S(I haven't seen a test of the same type against the iPhone 6), the SGS5 lasted 89% longer when playing videos.

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2014, 11:05 pm 
Site Owner

Jasonmrc wrote:
Could you highlight the parts where the Moto is better?
In regards to Manufacture bloat apps, all devices and brands come with that. I've read that you can turn off/uninstall a fair bit of that stuff. Does the Moto X come with stock Android, no manufacture software?

The Moto is not better from a raw spec point of view since it's older. That's why I said to wait. It's built to feel like a premium product whereas the Galaxy S series has always felt cheap.

Moto X is indeed stock. It varies based on manufacturer what you can remove and what you can't. That's not the real reason to go stock though. The real reason to go stock is to have the pure Google experience. That means that when Google decides it's time for new software you can get that new software. Without the pure experience you're reliant on your manufacturer to deliver it in a timely manner. You can get pure Android by rooting on most any device but is that a hassle that you want?

Have you considered a Windows phone? I know of people that enjoy the experience and the tie in with Windows 8 and the Xbox is amazing. Also not to mention that the hardware is really nice.

Edit: Maybe this review will sway you: http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/8/612114 ... to-x-2014-new-review

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2014, 11:43 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Chief. Snake
RS Status: Retired
Clan Name: Bits and Bytes
Shane linked me this thread and I just wanted to chime in to agree (I just noticed he linked to the article I was going to link already, but I'll say it anyway). The previous generation Moto X might be lagging behind spec-wise by today's standards, but the new one has been widely touted as the best Android phone you can buy. Motorola are the only Android hardware manufacturers who are also getting the software right at this stage, and I consider that to be totally indisputable. Additionally, in my opinion they along with HTC are getting the hardware pretty spot on too.

Also remember that in terms of specs, comparing things like CPU clocks is irrelevant when you get to flagship devices. More often than not, the software is what makes or breaks it, which is what Google have consistently sought to address with their 4.x releases: 4.2 (JellyBean) featured 'project butter' which brought smoother scrolling and transitions across the operating system; 4.4 (KitKat) specifically targeted low-spec devices and the coming version, Android L, will do the same. All of these years and Android is still criticised for things like poor scrolling performance when compared with iOS, and that's something no ARM CPU will easily be able to fix.

In summary, honestly, the hardware of the Galaxy S5 is fine (impressive, in fact), but no hardware can make up for inadequate software. I may be a little biased now though, as I have had a Nexus 4 for the last couple of years and it has been bliss in both regards \:D/

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2014, 12:11 am 
Chat Moderator

Shane wrote:
The Moto is not better from a raw spec point of view since it's older. That's why I said to wait. It's built to feel like a premium product whereas the Galaxy S series has always felt cheap.

I was looking at the wrong article, the Moto X(2) is nearly identical on all facets except for slightly lower res camera and slightly smaller battery. It was released September 5th, 17 days ago.
How does it feel 'Premium' and the S5 feel 'cheap'. Are you referring to the physical in-hand feeling or the user experience when operating the phone? When did you last use a S series and what did you not like about it?

Quote:
Moto X is indeed stock. It varies based on manufacturer what you can remove and what you can't. That's not the real reason to go stock though. The real reason to go stock is to have the pure Google experience. That means that when Google decides it's time for new software you can get that new software. Without the pure experience you're reliant on your manufacturer to deliver it in a timely manner. You can get pure Android by rooting on most any device but is that a hassle that you want?

This isn't really an issue for me for a couple reasons:
I don't update things often,
I wait to update until the major bugs are found and fixed.
The main thing I am concerned about regarding updates is that I don't want to be forced into them, by anyone.

Quote:
Have you considered a Windows phone? I know of people that enjoy the experience and the tie in with Windows 8 and the Xbox is amazing. Also not to mention that the hardware is really nice.

I don't have an Xbox and don't plan to ever use Windows 8. The versatility of Android is what drew me to it.

That is an insightful article. It does seem like if you want an entirely vanilla android that would be the device to go for. However doing so prevents you from having some useful manufacture-ware, such as multi-tasking.
Here's a video comparing the two.

One thing I really like about the S5 is the IP-6-7. With what I do I may be on a construction site around tons of dust one day and walking through a forest over streams the next. While I intend to always keep it in an otterbox, the knowledge that it would be safe should it fall in water is reassuring. I have yet to find a device that matches that(the iphone only lasted 1 minute underwater in tests).

Chief, I'm glad you posted because I was hoping for multiple replies. I knew Shane would reply because he's the resident Tech guy at BnB, but was hoping some others would chime in as well. Thanks.
I do realize paper comparisons of hardware shouldn't be taken as the end-all comparison, but a year from now the software will change, while the hardware won't. It makes sense to invest in the better hardware now as I plan to have the phone for atleast the next 2 years.
What are your favorite parts of your Nexus?

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: September 23rd, 2014, 12:11 am 
Chat Moderator

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2014, 12:59 am 
Site Owner

S4 was the last one I physically held, so more so the physical experience. It's the plastic hardware wise that really gives me a bad feeling. It felt as though it was something I could snap in half if I really tried.

But from the video shown the answer is compelling as to which one a person should go for. If you want a better camera, the extra safety feature of being (more) waterproof, more features that are overall less refined, and somewhat of a weaker calling experience go for the S5. If you want a smaller feature set that's refined, a better hardware experience, and a better calling experience go for the Moto. The choice is yours though I suggest trying out the software on both before deciding.

At the end of the day the choice is yours but my sense of elegance tells me that the Moto X is a better choice for the stock Android experience.

PS: I would use a stock Android device if a couple of factors were met (not being a Mac user, third party Android apps being nicely polished like those on iOS, and hardware capable of running it similar in physical specifications to the iPhone).

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2014, 1:40 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Chief. Snake
RS Status: Retired
Clan Name: Bits and Bytes
From what you've said, it sounds like going for the S5 wouldn't be a bad idea, and from what I've seen there's no denying it's a great phone. My brother has one and really likes it, although I've heard him complain that the water/dust-proof casing is annoying. :P

You make a good point in saying that "a year from now the software will change, but the hardware won't". That's true to some extent, but that's kind of what we mean in terms of the Google experience. If you're coming from Apple phones, you have to understand that the Android world is totally different. Manufacturers have terrible, terrible track records for software updates. You'd be lucky if Samsung released an update for their flagship phone within 6 months of Google's release for Nexus devices, if they bothered to release updates at all. Shane and I are both reeeally picky about the software side of things to be fair, so that (and the rest of the bloatware they bundle in) constitutes a dealbreaker for us, but it probably won't be something that you're worried about.

My Nexus is getting a bit dated now so its camera is really average when you compare it with newer alternatives, but otherwise I'd be happy just buying the same phone again if I were looking for one today! The key factor for me is the OS, but apart from that it's a perfect size, and it looks and feels as premium as a flagship phone should.

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2014, 10:52 am 
Chat Moderator

Shane wrote:
S4 was the last one I physically held, so more so the physical experience. It's the plastic hardware wise that really gives me a bad feeling. It felt as though it was something I could snap in half if I really tried.

Do you use a case with your phones? I find that although the case does add some bulk, it increases the durability feel and security in my hand.

Quote:
But from the video shown the answer is compelling as to which one a person should go for. If you want a better camera, the extra safety feature of being (more) waterproof, more features that are overall less refined, and somewhat of a weaker calling experience go for the S5. If you want a smaller feature set that's refined, a better hardware experience, and a better calling experience go for the Moto. The choice is yours though I suggest trying out the software on both before deciding.

Eh, the stats and videos of the two devices would argue some of those claims, but I will see if my local store has both of them to test them.

Quote:
PS: I would use a stock Android device if a couple of factors were met (not being a Mac user, third party Android apps being nicely polished like those on iOS, and hardware capable of running it similar in physical specifications to the iPhone)

Not having owned an Android before, I don't know what the full effects of stock vs manufacturer are. Even Motorola throws its own candy in there, so if we're talking pure, it isn't. One of the main reasons I am looking toward Android is because it offers versatility, something the iPhone doesn't.

Chief, I think that's also a good point, but for a different reason. You see, while you and Shane may be picky about wanting the latest update Now, I am picky in that I don't want it until it has something that I know I'll make use of regularly. In my 2 years of iPhone ownership I think I only updated the iOS once, and that was because Apple forced me to.

What are y'alls' thoughts on the HTC One M8? Same as the SGS5?

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2014, 2:35 pm 

RS Name: Lord Earth
Clan Name: Clan Quest
Jasonmrc wrote:
In my 2 years of iPhone ownership I think I only updated the iOS once, and that was because Apple forced me to.

lolwut
Why? The only reason I'm still on 7.0.6 is because that fixed the SSL problem and I jailbroke my phone. I'm waiting until they jailbreak iOS 8, and then I'll be upgrading ASAP.
What's your reason? :?

Global Moderator since August 25, 2014 18:30:29

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2014, 3:20 pm 
Chat Moderator

Earth wrote:
Jasonmrc wrote:
In my 2 years of iPhone ownership I think I only updated the iOS once, and that was because Apple forced me to.

lolwut
Why? The only reason I'm still on 7.0.6 is because that fixed the SSL problem and I jailbroke my phone. I'm waiting until they jailbreak iOS 8, and then I'll be upgrading ASAP.
What's your reason? :?

Apple hasn't given me a reason to update.

If what I'm using works, why change it unless there is a notable benefit? In my experience updates have a high chance of breaking things thus there has to be a good enough reason to risk the update causing an issue. While iOS 8 has a few interesting things, the reviews I've read have said it will slow a 4S down dramatically. If I was to use iOS 8, I'd have to get an iPhone 6, but since I don't like Apple's philosophy on where they want to take the device, I am looking at other devices.

What is lacking in iOS 7 and 8 that you need to jailbreak it? :roll:

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2014, 4:43 pm 

RS Name: Lord Earth
Clan Name: Clan Quest
Jasonmrc wrote:
Apple hasn't given me a reason to update.

Security, perhaps?

Jasonmrc wrote:
What is lacking in iOS 7 and 8 that you need to jailbreak it? :roll:

Nothing. I just wanted to try it out :wink:

Global Moderator since August 25, 2014 18:30:29

PostPosted: September 25th, 2014, 5:24 pm 

RS Name: Silverwiz9
Clan Name: RsbandbStaff
I've got an S4, and I like the phone. Good hardware, and it had the features I was looking for, namely the 1080p screen and the expandable storage. It also was nice to have a replaceable battery due to me liking Ingress, a game that requires data and wifi or GPS to be on at all times as you roam around playing, but I'll admit my 7800mAh battery isn't what normal people need.

That being said, I dislike TouchWiz and the crap that I can't remove easily. I'd much rather be on CyanogenMod or stock Android than deal with it. I am rooted, but due to the locked bootloader through Verizon, there isn't anything I can do to change the OS.

If you don't require removable storage and want a more stock feel, the Moto X would be a good choice. I can't speak for the new release, but the previous generation one I tried in one of the phone stores seemed to fit in the hand nice, and overall felt pretty well built. One of my friends and her Mom got them as their latest phones, and they both enjoy them.

The M8 should be a nice phone, at least from what I've heard. I believe it has expandable storage, which is a huge plus in my book.

Quote:
but since I don't like Apple's philosophy on where they want to take the device, I am looking at other devices.

Unless I'm missing something, the only case in which they want your old device is when you're doing a trade-in to reduce your up-front payment for the phone. Most of the carriers in the US are offering to waive the $200 fee for a 6 (not a 6 plus from what I can see) if you trade in any iPhone on their list. But you could make that money by selling the phone to someone else for more than $200, and use the left over profits to whatever you'd like.

PostPosted: September 25th, 2014, 7:00 pm 
Chat Moderator

Pfkninenines wrote:
Quote:
but since I don't like Apple's philosophy on where they want to take the device, I am looking at other devices.
Unless I'm missing something, the only case in which they want your old device is when you're doing a trade-in to reduce your up-front payment for the phone. Most of the carriers in the US are offering to waive the $200 fee for a 6 (not a 6 plus from what I can see) if you trade in any iPhone on their list. But you could make that money by selling the phone to someone else for more than $200, and use the left over profits to whatever you'd like.

Was referring to their focus/philosophy for the future of the iPhone line of devices. I'd never give them MY phone.

7800mAh... wow. Where might one acquire one of those and does it actually fit in the slot same as the original?

PostPosted: September 25th, 2014, 9:06 pm 

RS Name: Silverwiz9
Clan Name: RsbandbStaff
Haha, no, unfortunately not. It's quite a bit larger now, but I need it if I do my game. Otherwise I'd probably be fine.

I got mine from Amazon for around $35, though it looks like it's $32 now. They've got another one that is 5200mAh, but it's got weird curves which don't look good to me. It does look like the 5200mAh battery does still have NFC capabilities, but I was willing to give that up. So I opted for the largest iPad Mini-busting capacity I could buy.

I really don't care about the weight at all, and it didn't take long to get used to. Granted, I do have a usage case for the bulk, but I don't think most people would put up with it. The case that it comes in is surprisingly decent, but a far cry from my OtterBox. You also lose NFC capabilities as that is built into the battery, but honestly I don't care. I literally have never used it, and even with the Apple pay stuff that might make NFC more usable as a standard, I don't know if I'll use it all that much.

The other popular S4 extended (and likely other phone's extended) batteries include ZeroLemon and Hyperion, but for whatever reason I chose the Anker one. I do have other batteries from them, and I have always bought replacement batteries from Anker. I've also got a nice mouse from them, oddly enough.

There's also wireless charging modifications that can be done, which basically put something between the stock battery and the case. I didn't bother, as I don't believe it works with the extended cases / huge batteries. And that's fine.. As I said, I can get probably 2 days with my usage, and 3+ if I didn't play Ingress.