Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Mac partition geniusage?
PostPosted: December 14th, 2012, 5:22 pm 
Bronze Member

RS Name: wolftweet
RS Status: F2P
Clan Name: KOTRT
I need some mac partition help..

I want to be able to create a Master partition (The one I am using now) and a slave partition (of about 50GB for other uses). This is for a pure security reason. I want to have a place to do some stuff that I would not generally do on my main partition (like run applications from unknown), or do things with the filesystem in experimentation.

I have several concerns/problems

- It appears that each partition is equal. Meaning the 2nd can write to the 1st and visa versa. = Bad. I want the first to be able to write to the second (but not really required), and the 2nd to be impossible to write to the first. I know this is possible with a windows dual boot, but i'm not sure if/how it is possible with a partition of Mac os.
- I would like them to have seperate file systems. Once again for experimentation and security-type reasons.
- I want to use Mac OS for this. Windows is generally unacceptable, I try to avoid it if possible. Plus, the type of applications I wish to run and experimentation I wish to do is primarily unix/mac based.

So I have a question.
- Is what I want possible?
- If so, how?

My computers are:
- iMac running 10.8
- Windows machine running windows 7
- Macbook air running 10.8
- Windows XP laptop that hasn't been updated since 2007, or turned on for that matter, its just sitting in an old desk..

I greatly appreciate the feedback and help. Here is a picture of a cat for the time and effort by you <3

Update:

- I have each partition running a separate version of mac os

- The only remaining problem is separating them, which can be done by unmounting them; but it is still possible for the slave drive to mount and then write to the master drive, plus, both get mounted upon boot. (This appears to be the only remaining problem)

Last edited by trekkie on December 15th, 2012, 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
please do not double post ~trekkie

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: December 14th, 2012, 5:22 pm 
Bronze Member