Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: What would you like to see out of RSBandB?
PostPosted: September 29th, 2013, 7:50 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Sevith
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: RSBandB of course!
Hi guise. Maybe this is a bit late, but hopefully no one will mind.

There needs to be more reasons for people who stop playing RuneScape to stick around. When I talk to other former RSBandBers, and talk about RSBandB, they always mention how there was no reason for them to stick around, myself included. People get older and they do different things, I think this site needs to accommodate that somehow while making sure that the site is still defined as an RS fansite, "Come for RS, stay for the community" sort of thing. The weekly gaming things was neat and kept me here for a little while, but obviously its fallen off a bit.

In regards to the actual site, I think the front page needs a major design overhaul. It absolutely a wasteland to me. For one, the "News Feed" on the front page is mostly static. There needs be more articles there, either from the Informer or something else. Seeing as the Informer isn't a monthly issue as it used to be, I don't understand why it isn't there. Same with the Update. I honestly don't you should make people go to separate sections of the site for the Update and Informer. Obviously still have those sections there, but incorporate them into the front page. Just change it up more is what I'm getting at. Whenever I lurk or visit it's always looks like its the exact same thing.

Now I guess I'll answer those questions...

Quote:
What makes interacting with the reddit runescape community more interesting than interacting with the people here?

I think Reddit just makes it easier to post content fast and get it attention with fewer clicks. If you can accomplish that on the Forums, maybe make a frontpage for all the forums or something, then maybe that could workout.

Quote:
What do you like about RSBandB?

When I was an active member I liked the community a lot. That's why I was an active member for 4 years, because the people made it interesting.

Quote:
What don't you like? What are we missing?

Basically what I said earlier.

Quote:
Where would you like us to go in the next year?

I'd honestly like to see this site flourish with an active community again. I really don't know to accomplish that, but hopefully some of my suggestions helped. If you can bring back some other older members that would honestly be a good start. But again, I'm not sure how you would accomplish that.

I used to love this community, and I still kinda do. I'd love to see this site flourish once again.

Marty O' Donnell says Howdy :)!

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: September 29th, 2013, 7:50 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

PostPosted: October 16th, 2013, 6:37 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: General aj01
RS Status: Classic
Clan Name: None
First of all thank you Shane, Mike, and the many others that have made things happen. I'm amazed that I can login nearly ~9 years later. The time spent over the years helped me to become where I am now. As mentioned before, many forum members joined RS in the early growth and boom. I don't play RS primarily for the time and lack of interest. I played primarily in high school as a thing to do. Now I spend my time becoming certified (NLS, LEED, P.Eng) and volunteering with Non Governmental Organizations (NGO's).

Another way to think of things is this: Stop dancing when the music stops. If the vast majority of people have moved on, let people keep their amazing memories, and wrap things up. It will be painful to part with a project you invested so much into. After the sorrow, there will be new things to fulfill you.

I'm interested in occasionally playing TF2 though :)

PostPosted: November 20th, 2013, 9:53 pm 
Dragon Member

RS Name: Limpin
RS Status: P2P
Hey, all. Sorry for the huge *** gravedig I'm gonna do with this, but hopefully it'll get those gears going again. Killjoy linked me to this on Steam and I just thought I'd come in and drop my two cents as an old *** who also misses the community. First off, take what I say with a grain of salt if you still believe me to be the little ******* I was ~5 years ago when I raged HARD and quit over an Official Warning I didn't feel was necessary. But in that amount of time there's been a massive maturity spike. (Sort of, I'm still an idiot)

The reason why RSB&B was popular in the first place.
I, like the other 90% of distinguished members came to the site after finding some RS fakes on Google and registered to ask how they did it, if they'd do it for us, and other **** that 12-15 year-olds do. A curious group, weren't we? Well, beyond RS fakes, after making an introduction thread, meeting half the community in a day and then continuing to develop personal relationships over time was the main initiative of most of us. Where did we do that? The Sandbox. I don't know of a single person who doesn't miss the OLD Sandbox. The new one is not even a microcosm of the old. After you got to know the community a bit better, it felt like another home away from home. We were almost all friends, with the few exceptions of those who usually ***** us off and **** like that. MSN convos went for days, nudge spam hacks and all sorts of fun ****. Those were the days.

What else kept us coming back? The graphics. I don't remember a single week where I wasn't stoked to see someone win a Judge-chosen SOTW. I'm not talking about the post-Judge SOTW, because at that point nobody really gave a **** about the skill involved anymore and just cared about the most flashy tag there was. Slimppu was, and still is my favorite tag artist I've ever seen. Some of his work was absolutely amazing. I still wish I could get in contact with that kid now. **** Finnish kid just disappeared.

What's caused RSB&B to decline in activity?
Back in the day was a completely different scene than it is now. When I thought about RSB&B, I'd get psyched to get on and just ******* around with people. Now it's like there's literally nobody to ******* around with, because there's no more friendly people who like to mess around and not be serious for a while. Somewhere along the line, mods+ just got far too serious and turned this site into Alcatraz. There were way too many people getting in trouble for just having fun.

No, I'm not throwing a fit still, that's old drama. I'm just being honest. The rules around here are so **** strict, it's ridiculous. People were being given warnings back to back due to people being way too serious in a community. An example of this would be people getting warned for calling people harmless names that weren't meant to be taken offensively, joking around with a moderator with a certain vocabulary, etc. It's like saying "Welcome to RSB&B - Enjoy your stay, just don't enjoy yourself."

Okay, besides the ***** and moaning, what else has contributed to the decline?
Age. Everyone who played in the glory days was 12-15 as I mentioned earlier. We were a bunch of kids who didn't want to do their homework and chose to lose ourselves in a videogame all day rather than do chores and normal kid ****. The general time spent on here was two to three years before we quit. Why do you think that is? Well, 15+3=18. During highschool is all fun and games. As you get older, your personality changes. When your personality changes, so do your interests. You start branching into different games because you want to play games that are fun for the less amount of free time you get, seeing as in RS you take **** days, weeks, months to hit max level in something with very little to no rewards for doing so.

Besides us getting older, so has the game itself. And with age, it's becoming more and more horrible. Namely EoC. Namely the newest update that I played with for a month before I quit. Namely the new skills. It's all not what made RS so appealing back in the day. A ******* game causes less players. Less players means less people branching out for communities.

What I would suggest changing
At this point I'd just agree with Maiden and say that RSB&B's time is up. It's been a **** good run. Well done.

I do have to say this, though. This place could be positively booming right now if you really had gone into making this a huge OSS forum, Shane. Literally, it could be Zybez right now. I understand RSB&B is yours and Mike's, and that this place is yours to do as you like, but actively standing out AGAINST OSS when there are more than three times the amount of people playing it than the most up to date version of RS is an incredible mistake. If you had marketed the skill sigs again, stat calcs again, and all the other **** you did back when it really was 07, then right now this place would be alive. Seriously.

If you're the owner of a business/website, you need to put your own opinion aside and change in the way that the community is changing as a whole. If there's a new game introduced that could potentially gain you some coin, you need to hop on that **** quick. Any time you waste is literally money wasted. Especially when it's the reinvention of the same game era that got your website popular in the first place.

I'm not suggesting to do anything besides just work towards a certain goal. What that goal is, is completely up to you. Just work towards it. I really would love to see the site boom up again like it used to be. I still consider 2007-2010 my favorite years online, even through all the ****.