Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Mobile skin
PostPosted: November 1st, 2010, 6:41 am 
Mithril Member

RS Name: Mercifull
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: Council of Elders
Have you ever considered a mobile skin for the website or the forums for people that use iPhones/Android/Blackberries etc?

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: November 1st, 2010, 6:41 am 
Mithril Member

Post subject: Re: Mobile skin
PostPosted: November 1st, 2010, 8:41 am 
Site Owner

RS Name: mike12088
Clan Name: Bits and Bytes
Thanks for the suggestion. We've considered it before, but Shane and I just don't have the time to do that when there are other things we are working on for the site that will have greater benefits. The amount of people who visit our site on mobile browsers accounts for about 1% of views.

I don't have a smartphone to see what the site looks like on one, but I know there are some users who commonly browse the site on their phone.

Is there anything in particular that doesn't work very well on your phone? We could certainly look into fixing small things.

PostPosted: November 1st, 2010, 5:33 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Bryan Tran
Clan Name: W22 Farming
This forum is phpBB, why not use Tapatalk?
It's an Android, iOS app, free to read through topics, free for admins to enable for the forums as a plugin, unfortunately on the Market (don't know about the App Store) it is paid to get the version that lets you post.

http://www.tapatalk.com/

And I got the Android and WP7 SDK recently to take screenshots (no native screenshot tool, ***), and this is my first screenshot!
Whoo! Milestone!!

Not that bad, body text wraps, just the other stuff you have to pan around for. Ads work fine HERE though, looks like SOMEONE still has to consider my request for mobile adsense, ISN'T THAT RIGHT MIKE?

PostPosted: November 1st, 2010, 5:47 pm 

RS Name: Lord Earth
Clan Name: Clan Quest
If you use an iDevice, get Opera Mini and turn on mobile view, works quite well. Lemme go take a picture, edit this in a sec XD
EDIT: Here we go...

Global Moderator since August 25, 2014 18:30:29

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2010, 7:20 am 
Runite Member

RS Name: Bryan Tran
Clan Name: W22 Farming
Oh, and browsing this place on a 9700 is simply amazing, take my word for it.

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2010, 10:15 am 
Mithril Member

RS Name: Mercifull
Clan Name: Council of Elders
Ok i'll admit, browsing the actual website isnt too bad in landscape mode. But the forum is a pain to navigate on. Tip.it forums has a mobile skin using IPB but i'm sure there is something similar for phpBB. I'm a bit wary of Tapatalk because it costs money and some people who dont yet have access to paid downloads on the market, cannot access it.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: November 2nd, 2010, 10:15 am 
Mithril Member

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2010, 12:55 pm 
Site Owner

RS Name: shane12088
Tapatalk is pretty much a no-go. It is a plugin. Plugins add code complexity. For us adding code complexity is something we consider very carefully. For such a small percentage of the userbase it's something we are not looking at. Also, tapatalk isn't guaranteed to work with third party addons... we have many of those.

At this point, unless someone makes us a mobile skin that we like this front is unlikely to see any development aside from the small tweaks and fixes Mike mentioned.

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2010, 1:30 pm 

RS Name: Silverwiz9
Clan Name: RsbandbStaff
For the limited browsing I do on Rsbandb on my iPod touch, I find it quite reasonable to use Safari or Opera in their native form. Opera with mobile view seems cramped but doable, but either Safari or Opera works for what needs to be viewed.

Not saying Mike and Shane shouldn't make a mobile version, but I think they've expressed that it is low on the priorities... So unless a monetary incentive is added for extra work to ensure the few that would like a custom mobile site, I doubt it'll be worked on in any major fashion in quite a while.

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2010, 2:01 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: B66f
Clan Name: bitsbytes
Shane wrote:
Tapatalk is pretty much a no-go. It is a plugin. Plugins add code complexity. For us adding code complexity is something we consider very carefully. For such a small percentage of the userbase it's something we are not looking at. Also, tapatalk isn't guaranteed to work with third party addons... we have many of those.

At this point, unless someone makes us a mobile skin that we like this front is unlikely to see any development aside from the small tweaks and fixes Mike mentioned.

What would making a mobile skin involve? Just images or coding too? If it's just images, I'd be happy to make one, as I mainly browse on my iPod.

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2010, 2:14 pm 
Site Owner

RS Name: mike12088
Clan Name: Bits and Bytes
I looked around and this is the only mobile skin I could find that has been made for phpbb. I think using opera mini/mobile would look better than using that. I believe it's available for all mobile devices, not just apple devices like Earthy said :P

A new skin would involve copying and then modifying all the phpbb html template files, and it's css, and maybe a few new images for some that are too large, but yes it's mostly coding because most images should likely be omitted and replaced with text.

The biggest problem I can see with using the site on mobile is the width of the site. I removed the enforcement of a minimum width of 800px. It might make it a bit better, but posts by people with large signatures will still go off the screen because their signature will expand the width of their post.

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2010, 4:23 pm 

RS Name: Lord Earth
Clan Name: Clan Quest
Mike wrote:
I believe it's available for all mobile devices, not just apple devices like Earthy said :P

Don't think ALL, but quite a few
...I need a nickname for you :-k

Global Moderator since August 25, 2014 18:30:29

PostPosted: November 7th, 2010, 2:22 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: B66f
Clan Name: bitsbytes
I have basically finished a mobile skin. I'm sending it to Mike for approval.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Forum Index » RSBandB » RuneScape Bits & Bytes Site » Mobile skin Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]